Promo DATV Video

• Dear All,

Sorry for opening a new thread, if this subject was discussed before but I tried to look around but couldn't find any answers.

I would like to know if (1) the promo DATV video is still running at the moment, and if it is (2) what is the actual frequency and symbol rate (I read its some 2msps?). Also please advice if this can be received via a standard DVB-S2 set top box? Or do I need the MiniTiouner receiver? Alternatively, would the use of F6DZP software with the TT S2-1600 PCI card work?

Thank you in advance for helping with my DATV RX setup, and looking forward to some QSOs soon once I get the 2.4 GHz TX portion setup.

73, Sion, 9M2CQC

• Official Post

Hi Sion,

welcome to the bird & forum...

The promo video (Beacon) is running continuously with DVB-S2, 2 MS/s, QPSK, 2/3) at 10.4925 GHz.

The easiest way to check is the WebSDR project at https://eshail.batc.org.uk/wb/

Standard set top box might not be able to tune that low if you just use a standard LNB, but the MiniTiouner does.

For using a standard DVB-S2 set top box ou will need a Downconverter like this; https://amsat-dl.org/en/univer…r-eshail-2-amsat-phase-4a

73s Peter, DB2OS

• Hi Peter,

Thank you for the welcome and confirmation that the promo video is still running.

I am using the Kuhne LNC 10 so that brings 10.4925 GHz - 9.360 GHz (LO) to 1.1325 GHz. Understand that not all set top box can enter a downlink frequency of 10.4925 GHz so what I am doing is to maintain the LO at the box set to 10 GHz and set the downlink frequency to 11.1325 GHz (basically fooling the set top box as it does not allow 0 GHz IF and direct entry of 1.1325 GHz as the downlink frequency. hi hi!)

I am receiving the NB transponder very FB but in the coming week when time permits I will try to re-adjust the dish again to attempt RX of the WB transponder. As well as get the TX uplink setup too.

Thank you once again for all your efforts in making QO-100 become a reality and for confirming that the DATV is running continuously on the WB transponder.

p/s. I believe you know David, 9M2DT a long time satellite operator who has not been active in the recent years. I did mention to him about you & QO-100 and he is eager to try get active again and work QO-100 too :)

73, Sion, 9M2CQC

• Official Post

Hi Simon,

Yes, I know David 9M2DT very well from OSCAR-10/13 and he was also staying with my family more than 25 years ago. Shorty after re-union of Germany we went to Berlin and picked some stones from the wall...

Than some years later we lost contact, his eMail was no more working.

While I was in Qatar for the inauguration I received a letter from him and he wrote me that he stopped ham radio since than, but he wants to be back on QO-100 !!

When I was operating A71A from Qatar via QO-100, one of the first calls was from DF1OI, Johannes. Nearly 25-30 years ago we worked together with my brother DD2OJ on some 10 GHz microwave stuff, but due to job and family we also lost contact, but I immediately knew who he was and we found out that we only live a few km apart!!!

What a suspire.. I will meet Johannes too and hopefully David and perhaps you too!! Twice a year I'm in Penang where we have a production plant...

In December 2012 I was the first time in Qatar to meet QARS for a presentation.

When I arrived everyone was dancing on the street, because first rain after 1 year or so. Everyone was saying this is a good sign and they will remember the day "Peter was coming and bringing the rain.." hahah When I arrived 2 weeks ago it was raining again the whole day and we all remembered that..

These are the little wonders of QO-100...

Let's see what other surprises we will see..

At the moment I didn't found the time to get my Uplink stuff finished, but I'm enjoying listening and will get on air as soon as I can climb on the roof again to install the TX parts..

CU soon, 73s Peter

• Hi Peter,

Wow that is a really interesting history and story behind QO-100 !!! And its really please to regain contact again with so many old friends due to QO-100.

Please do let us know when you are next in Penang and if time permits we would of course like to meet up with you. My e-mail address is good at QRZ.com and my cellphone number is +6012-2299798.

Once again, I would like to thank you and the team who took so much effort and personal time to make QO-100 become a reality. You guys must have had a really hectic and busy time doing the commission of QO-100 and the GS there, so please do get enough rest and once I get the uplink portion done, will look forward to have a QSO with you on QO-100 :)

73, Sion, 9M2CQC