WB BEACOn MER

• Hallo....

i made some tests to receive the WB Transponder on small dishes to compare maybe with others.... please give information about your results...!!

The tests were done last 6weeks with my modified TCXO-LNBs
    (Octagon OTSLO, AX Black Buster) with LO 9388 and LO9750MHz

I got the following levels (MER ) results on the WB beacon ... measured with TT-S2 1600 or MiniTiounerExpress

MER OF QO-100 DATV BEACON

----------------------------------------------

60cm NO NAME DISH 5.2-5.5dB

60cm Kathrein Dish 6.1dB

85cm FUBA DISH with LNB Offset 7deg 7.2dB (Center to 19.2east)

85cm TRIAX OFFSET 8.3dB

120cm LAMINAS OFFSET 9.4dB

Note:

the MER is about + 0.5-0.8dB more if you use an (good!) TCXO instead the original crystal inside the PLL LNB.

Note2:

the MER was measured during an "empty tranponder that means only the beacon" without other stations are qrv...because the MER of the beacon depends sometimes on the activity on the higher part of the passband...

73 de Michael dg0opk

• i made some tests to receive the WB Transponder on small dishes to compare maybe with others.... please give information about your results...!!

Hello Michaell,

great work! Thanks.

Whats about the weather conditions?

I observe different reception values depending on the weather, clouds, humidity etc.
    It would be interesting if in all measurements a parallel operated "reference antenna" would be measured to take these weather effects into account ....

73s de Robert

• DD4YR

hallo robert ... the differences between bad and good weather are not very much ...

so you have an loss or inaccurary of maybe +-0.3dB ...if the dish is correct aligned..

maybe some times in the summer we have some thunderstorm with rainscatter...

but thats an on other game to play... HI

73 de dg0opk

• Hi all, copied over from anther parallel thread

I have been doing some tests with 3D printed lens antennas provided by Malcolm, G0UHY. I was concentrating on the MER of the DATV beacon as a metric, but also recorded the strength of the CW beacon (noise floor is -115 dBm in 3.5kHz bandwidth). Here are the results:

Culprit DATV Beacon MER CW Beacon
    Standard rocket Lens 10.7 -79
    Short cone 9.5 -80
    Long cone 10.1 -79
    Cylinder 9.1 -81
    No lens 9.6 -80

&thumbnail=1

The dish is a 2.4m channel master offset. It has a F/D of 0.6. The poorer performing lenses may be better at lower F/D, but I only have one dish so can't test this.

Mike

• Hi Michael,

at a portable use on 19.05. I have the DATV bake with a No Name 60cm Dish (55cm effective) and

Octagon OTLSO Slim TwinLNB with GPSDO with MER 5.2 dB received.

With LNB GM201 and GPSDO MER only 4.3dB.

RX: MiniTiouner Express

I had the dish on a tripod for the exact alignment

Thank you for your measurements, 73 Jürgen

DL1GNM going to be QRV soon

• Hirschmann dish 120cm F/D 0.68 (129cm x 120cm (H x W), same as GOONHILLY).
    • LNB HD-Line HD-BP2, not modified yet. A71A beacon, clear sky.

Venton Rocket Lens LNB seen as in picture: MER 5.2dB D2 (not in focus !)

POTY with POTY lens but without radom: MER 6.9dB D4

POTY with Venton Rocket Lens, but without radom: MER 8.8-9.0dB D6

POTY with Venton Rocket Lens, radom old position: MER 7.7dB D5

POTY with Venton Rocket Lens, radom new position: MER 8.7-8.9 dB D5/6

73 Mike

• For every lens you need to adjust the focal point, because the phase centers are not the same.

I agree - As I observed with my dish: Venton Rocket Lens LNB seen as in picture: MER 5.2dB D2 (not in focus !) Usually you get good results with this lens. But not at that position I've put in this VENTON LNB.