Caibrate S-Meters...how??? What is right

• I will calibrate my S-Meter on SDR-Radio...

What is right on QO-100:

-73dBm = S9 (like this goes up to 30MHz)

-93dBm = S9 (like this goes from 30MHz)

How is the noise level defined?

On the Web-SDR (eshail.batc.org.uk) the noise level goes to S6.

The most OM`s are S9+, I think that is not right... or???

I know the signal to noise is right.

What are yoo doing?

73 de Wolfgang

• Take the NBTP floor as S0 (ca -127dB) and then the CW beacon has abt S5+3dB.

Strong stations have a signal about S6.

Everything above is unwanted and to much uplink power.

The strongest HAM station i saw till now had S7+3dB. (SSB)

BTW, Forget the S-Meters on the WEB-SDRs they are all wrong.

VY73 DB8TF

• Hello all,

I use the old ARRL-way of "best guessing" by ear:

1 - Faint signals, barely perceptible

2 - Very weak signals

3 - Weak signals

4 - Fair signals

5 - Fairly good signals

6 - Good signals

7 - Moderately strong signals

8 - Strong signals

9 - Extremely strong signals

Any signal around the beacon signal for me is in the S9 range (as suggested by Peter). People who just make it a few dB above the noise get an "S1 or S2" from me.

Best 73

Holger 'Geri', DK8KW

• Looking at the BATC WebSDR as well as the one from IS0GRB, the CW beacon is about 15-16dB over the noise. An S-point is 6 dB so the "best" we can do (before getting a QSL card from LEILA) would be 2.5 S-point above the noise.

The question then, is where you lie "zero". With all the mixing and amplification making an absolute measurement is hard. And I see that the 50-60dB gain of the LNB drives many receivers hard: if the noise floor is S8, are the signals well received and nice to listen to even if they are 59+10dB?

I tend to attenuate so that the noise is S1-S2, this makes the receiver a lot better behaving to but it would mean that the best report I can give is S5 or so.

And that doesn't even bring the poor calibration of an S-meter into the equation, I'm inclined not to use "five-nine" at all.

Perhaps using the dB's of one of the WebSDR's is more accurate than an S-meter report?

Geert Jan

• Personally, for me this is a non issue and endlessly discussed in the past on other bands, with and/or without the use of transverters.

There is almost nobody having a real logarithmic S-meter (the S-meter is very often derived from the AGC voltage).

I use the ARRL-method with odd numbers. In case of doubt, the QSO-partner earns an extra point ; -)

• OK I will check... why -127 is over 30MHz then -147????