Hurricane Lorenzo - Azores Islands -Temporary Emergency Frequency - 10489.660 MHz (with 10kz guardband) 2400.160 MHz uplink

• From the Colleagues in Azores Islands, the following notice:

As hurricane Lorenzo (category 4) approaches the Azores the emergency network has been activated. Amateur Radios will be active with the Government and emergency response teams. Local analog and DMR repeaters, both in VHF and UHF, satellites and HF. We ask all stations to give way for emergency traffic coming in and out of the Azores islands (CU, CQ8, CR8, CS8 and CT8 prefixes). More details to follow soon.

The Frequencies announced on the image attached are for land based comms, but if the situation requires, they can also resort to some Sat operations.

AMSAT has provided the following info:

Thank you All for your consideration on this matter, and hoping that things go well to our fellow friends in Azores.

Best 73 de CT2IRJ

Salomão Fresco

Callsign: CT2IRJ

GRID Locator: IM59re -- CQ Zone 14 / ITU Zone 37

QTH: Fazendas de Almeirim, Portugal

• Is it an idea to define 10489.660 as emergency frequency (also for future use) ?

That is, when there is no emergency .660 is a 'normal' frequency. When there is

an emergency .660 will be left alone by others (i.e. those not involved with

the pending emergency / calamity).

PS. Any frequency is fine with me, as long as everyone uses the same frequency ; -)

• S57NML From what I understood / read, is that in most cases 'frequencies' are published and not a range of frequencies to avoid miscommunication and to assure everybody is listening to -and uses- the 'right' frequency. Same as e.g. 2182 kHz for the maritime sector, and not 2175 - 2191 kHz ; -)

• Ah , ok .. yes, but of course only when .660 is used in an emergency / calamity net. I reckon +/- 5 kHz would be sufficient.

Anyway, I'[m curious of the AMSAT-DL administrators support my/the proposal and if they're willing to mention it in the NB-tpx band plan. Bearing in mind -I repeat- every freq is ok, as long everyone knows the value.

• Good evening to all, in my opinion, it would be better to decide the Frequencies of <QO-100>, to the Ground Station and to the Managers of <AMSAT-DL>, in my opinion they are the only ones that together can assign a SPECIFIC AID frequency to be used in case you need to use a RADIO connection via SATELLITE.

By doing so, they would make it OFFICIAL for everyone.

When we talk about RESCUE, of any kind, and FUNDAMENTAL give PRECISE DIRECTIVES, if possible previously planned.

Certainly there must also be the desire to keep the CALLING Frequency ON and LISTEN, especially when (as in this case) natural events of large proportions occur, from which I can be born BIG CRITICALITY.

To know, AND TO KNOW that in any case there is ALWAYS someone, in case of need, IS FUNDAMENTAL ....

Not for nothing our AMATEUR RADIO SERVICE is ABOVE ALL known for THIS. !!!

This is simply my thought ...

I always follow you all, with INTEREST ...

73 ALL

VALE

IZ5ILX

• S57NML I want to ask you to tell me who dedicated the 660 qrg to emergency?? Form my point of view nobody did.

I will hold a lesson this saturday on the DARC emergengy symposium. The goal is how to implement emergency topics in general for satellit use. When they will write a first proposeal for a common specification.. it will be discussed here between the countries of the footprint.

At the moment my feeling is..everybody want to to something..but without a common perspectiv and overall concept. Please be patient some weeks to let the german emergency group start with writing down their first proposal of a concept..and then we can all read it here..

• IZ5ILX also to you.. we first need an overall concept. If we start with small pieces..we never get the complete cake together..There for we need people how want to drive this topic.. People always knowing things better without working in the group..from my point of view we do not need.

• I didn't proposal the frequency only suggest to clear the frequency +- .010 if there is any emergency call.

There was only idea for .660 from Remco...

I have nothing with frequency can be anything but will be nice to indicate also on NB websdr and frequency plan if will be any frequency avaivlable for emergency....

• DD0KP Heiner, from the question of AMSAT (see initial posting in this thread) I thought it may be a nice idea to propose 'an emergency frequency'. To prevent a discussion on 'what' frequency it should be, I followed my statement with a proposal (.660) to align 'the noses'. I also stated it's fine with me when another frequency is favourable (as long as everyone knows that frequency).

So, it doesn't have to be .660. To summarize: I take the blame! ; -)

• DD0KP and all,

Heiner, .660 was just a suggestion by Remco.
    I agree that this subject has to be well coordinated between all of us, and that we must agree on some terms and conditions.
    Since nothing was prepared in advance and this is a prement situation, any suggestion is wellcome.
    .660 for me is fine. Is in the "Mixed Modes" segment, wich allows for other types of modulation to be used (e.g. SSTV).

For the future, there should be some guidelines and rules to follow.
    In the present, if no other QRG suggested, .660 will do.

Heiner, after the symposium that you're attending next saturday, then some definitive rules are produced.
    Unfortunately, Lorenzo _is_ in fact moving towards the Azores, and is expected tomorrow, albeit losing force it has still potential for causing moderate to severe damage.

73 and tks to all participants in this important thread.

CT2IRJ

Salomão Fresco

• CT2IRJ

Changed the title of the thread from “Hurricane Lorenzo - Azores Islands” to “Hurricane Lorenzo - Azores Islands -Temporary Emergency Frequency - 10489.660 MHz (with 10kz guardband) 2400.160 MHz uplink”.
  • @all As Peter confirmed for Lorenzo 10489.660 MHz is dedicated. For the future my first guess is using 10489.640 MHz. Most of you looking in parallel to the WebSDR from BATC. so if there is any trafic on the marker of beginning of the mixed mode, this should be a clear indication for some emergency issue. We should discuss this together here.. From my point of view this could be an easy start solving this topic.

• Hi everybody,
    Some update on the Azores Islands after hurricane Lorenzo:

Hurricane Lorenzo powered across the Atlantic Ocean on Wednesday, lashing the Azores with heavy rains, powerful winds and high waves and significantly damaging one island's main port.

The Azores Civil Protection Agency said the Category 2 hurricane felled trees and power lines as it passed just west of the Portuguese island chain.

The U.K. Met Office forecast "very strong winds and heavy rain" for western areas of the country on Thursday and Friday.

The Portuguese weather agency said the most affected islands in the Azores archipelago were Flores and Corvo, where weather stations reported gusts of up to 163 kph (101 mph) — lower than forecast as Lorenzo lost some power over cooler water.

Azores Civil Protection Agency chief Carlos Neves said 39 people were safely evacuated and no injuries were reported. He said the main port on the island of Flores had suffered "grave damage" as part of the dock, the port's building and some cargo containers had been "swallowed" by the sea.

Emergency crews were removing fallen trees from roads and restoring downed power lines, Neves said.

As the situation is now much more calm, it is time to thank AMSAT-DL President Peter Gulzow DB2OS for his prompt response to my request, and to all that one way or the other kept this thread under watch and finally to all our Colleagues who had spent some time monitoring the frequencies.

It is also a great stepping stone to discuss, assign and establish a well known and defined frequency on QO-100 bandplan, for emergency use.
    It is an invaluable platform to assist in this type of occurence, it's coverage of around 1/3 of the globe is strategically important and so it is the easyness to deploy and mantain a portable emergency station on affected areas.

Once again, thank you for your support.

73 de CT2IRJ

Salomão Fresco