Standalone DVB-S Transmitter

• S58RU asked me to ask you a question:

Does anyone know of a DVB-S TX hardware configuration that automatically starts to transmit when the voltage is applied if video and audio signals are available at the input of the transmitter?

Desired specifications:

1. TX range preferably 13cm but any frequency between 400… ..1300MHz is also possible
    2. Transmitting power somewhere between 0.2mW ... ..10mW
    3. Bandwidth 500kSym but everything goes between 333kSym… ..1MSym
    4. Modulation type that can be received with SF8008

S58RU hat mich gebeten Euch eine frage zu stellen:

Kennt jemand eine DVB-S TX Hardware Konfiguration die selbständig anfängt zu senden beim angelegen der Spannung wenn Video und Audio Signal am Eingang von Sender vorhanden sind ? QTH ohne Personbetreung !!

Gewünschte vorgaben:

1. TX Sende Bereich bevorzugt 13cm aber es geht auch jede Frequenz zwischen 400…..1300MHz

2. Sendeleistung irgendwo zwischen 0,2mW…..10mW

3. Bandbreite 500kSym aber geht auch alles zwischen 333kSym…..1MSym

4. Modulationsart die mit SF8008 empfangbar ist

Vy 73

Darko OE7DBH

• Hallo Darko...

i hope i understand your question correctly....

but after my information a small device ...his name is ADALM PLUTO can do this...

F5OEO Software DATV(SDR) with WEB-Controller by M0DTS has made a special firmware for the TOY to use the device via IP ETHERNET STREAM ...

They use ffmpeg in the Pluto ARM SOC (single/dual core ARMv7) as receiver to send it via RF... the installation procedure for the Firmware is very easy and done in 5minutes ... look for this on the infos are given on ANALOG DEVICES hompage

frequency range of the Pluto is 70-6000MHZ

output power tuneable -50 to 0dBm (maybe...depends on the device)

But note to all readers:

THINK ON THE OPEN SOURCE IDEA of LINUX and HAMRADIO and the AMSAT RULES ...

some friends use this tools and ideas as the BUSINESS MODEL !

73 de dg0opk

• Thank you Michael, ..... OMs
    we are talking about a location where 99% of the time there is no person present and DVB-S TX should only start if the remote control TX voltage is switched on (at this moment video and audio is already available)

...as far as i know pluto has to be connected to a computer, or a raspbery.

So not standalone!
    a raspbery would still be acceptable if I started myself. Has anyone already successfully operated something like this without the ability to do it?

Danke Michael , .....OMs

wir reden von einen Standort wo zu 99% der Zeit keine Person anwesend ist und DVB-S TX starten soll nur dann wenn Fernbedienbar TX Spannung zugeschaltet wird ( in diesen moment ist Video und Audio auch bereits vorhanden )

...soweit ich es weiß, muss Pluto an ein Computer angeschlossen werden, oder ein Raspbery.

Also doch nicht Standalone !

ein Raspbery wäre noch annehmbar wenn selber starten werde ?. Hat jemand schon so was erfolgreich in Betrieb ohne ausfälle ?

• The old version of the Portsdown used to do this - it was called digithin. The new version can be configured to do it quite easily with a limesdr. It's also now capable of DVB-S2 which is a much better option. The transmission could be gated by an external signal. The new portsdown is based on a raspberry PI and includes a H264 encoder. You can feed in analog video via a USB dongle but the quality of analog TV is very poor compared to digital so you may want to use a different solution using HDMI video. There is a small box from China that will provide H264/5 encoding that can be sent as DATV using a Pluto or the Portsdown. All can be made to automagically transmit on power up.

• Hi Darko,

you can operate the ADALM Pluto standalone only with network connection and without any computer on your seperate location.

My Pluto (and the PA) is located in a garden house near my dish. It is connected to my shack via 50m WLAN-Link. So only in my shack there is a computer for transmit the stream via network directly to the Pluto.

Frank, DL3DCW

• S58RU is still looking ( just like me and several other radio amateurs who dislike Computers ) for a standalone DVB-S transmitter with small bandwidth ( 333kSym-500kSym )

S58RU ist weiterhin auf die Suche ( genau wie ich und mehrere andere Funkamateure mit Computerabneigung ) nach einem

standalone DVB-S Sender mit kleine Bandbreite ( 333kSym-500kSym )

Vy 73 de Darko OE7DBH

• Official Post

S58RU is still looking ( just like me and several other radio amateurs who dislike Computers ) for a standalone DVB-S transmitter

I'm not an ATV'er nor an electronic tinkerer, but I read always the CQ-DATV publication. There are interesting articles, also in the last edition is one about an 70cm ATV transmitter. Could this help you ?

• Do you mean standalone device for Analog video input (composite or s-video) to DVBS/S2 modulator ?

Need litlle work, but

- PlutoSDR

- USB Analog video Stick

- One time configuration through web interface

- You are QRV DATV 40Mhz-6Ghz

73 F5OEO

• F5OEO

Yes, that´s exactly what S58RU thought ! Does this configuration work after switching OFF and again ON without

renewed Pluto programming ? ( Pluto keeps last programmed data ? - freq, bandwidth, Modulation, ecc... )

Have you already tried the above Picture configuration ? , work it without Computer Connection ( also without Wifi !! ) ??

S58RU say: at the Location where pluto will be used, there is no Computer and no WiFi !! ( Pluto should be programmed with correct

data before it will be used correctly at his workplace )

On site is present: Video Composite , Audio , power supply.

• PlutoSDR has an embedded CPU : NO computer is needed (STANDALONE). It could start Tx as soon as it is power on.

Modulation parameters are keep in flash, meaning always the same over reboot.

SR from 125 to 1000 is possible. CPU processing is limited, so encoding HD is not possible but as it is an SD analog input it should be OK. I need to make more tests on that. Will inform you soon.

• Quick test with EasyCap analog video input dongle : 75%CPU at H264 352x288 resolution and audio AAC at 500Ksymbol DVBS2.

So this is the proof of concept with ONLY plutoSDR and this usb stick.

We could also build a solution with Analog to HDMI -> HDMI to H265 encoder box (60euro) -> usb ethernet ->PlutoSDR which is completely autonom but with a much better quality.

Evariste

• Friends !

If you want more operation on the wideband transponder,

then you should also test more on such stand-alone configurations.

There are a lot older ATV people interested in it. Me too !.

The most exciting topic is: DVB-S signal transmission without a computer in the Background,

this topic is also interesting for terrestrial contest operation or other uses.

So, please turn to this topic.

F5OEO Avariste , thank you for your commitment and successful test,

now please write exactly what is necessary to achieve this success,

for someone who does not yet have the required hardware. From zero to success....

source for Hardware: Pluto , VideoAudio Converter , ecc...

source for Software

Thank you all

• Schade , schon wieder ein Herstehller der mit uns nichts zu tun haben will !!

Too bad, another one DVB-S2 manufacturer who doesn't want to have anything to do with us !!

....and i thought Money doesn`t stink no matter who Comes from ;)   ;(

Answer from: info@roks-tv.com

Hello Mr. Banko!

Sorry, but we don't have to deal with radio equipment!
    We are working at the digital telecom and TV broadcasting market as a system
    integrator, developer and manufacturer of the equipment for DVB communications
    and microwave TV broadcasting systems like MMDS, MVDS and LMDS

We provide DVB-S/S2 wireless terrestrial broadcast systems and different relay systems in C-band, X-band, Ku-band, K-band and Ka-band!

• I am not sure I agree. It's the 21st century and DVB-S is 20th century technology and getting old. Such a system might be easy to use but there are not so many wide channels. 1Ms DVB-S requires much higher power than say 333ks DVB-S2 and generating power is the most difficult bit.

A more modern solution is the BATC Portsdown project. This does all that and much more and arguably does it better because it also does low SR, DVB-S2. H264 and can be made to receive as well. The transmitting hardware is not challenging, a Raspberry PI, a touch screen, a webcam and a Lime Mini. Perhaps we need to translate the instructions into the German language to make this project more accessible.

Mike

• :thumbup:   :thumbup:    :thumbup:

I am completely agree with your opinion for 333ksym DVB-S2 and 100% support this idea and all the people who share this idea !!!

But we all know that there are still many pensioner among us who want absolutely nothing to do with a computer, they just want to TX a switch to ON, turn ON the camera and send !!!.

( up here is such a transmitter - unfortunately old modulation technology )

You have ( You = generally all OM thought ) never yet explained in a post how this works with a connecting-wiring plan ( so that every non-technical amateur understands ).

Transmitter without typical computer failures ----> if there were, I'll be happy to buy one myself , Camera ON TX ON 3sec later ON AIR. Typical example S58RU ( for him and a few other OMs it should even be built into the housing - ready to use " two left hands :( "

Translated by google.