Remote operation via QO-100

• Official Post

a small reminder for given reasons:

Remote operation of an amateur radio station via QO-100 is only permitted if the station belongs to the operator himself and is operated at his own location. He must always have full control over the station and in particular be able to switch it off immediately if, for example, interference occurs. Special cases of unmanned and automatically operating stations require both permission from the operator of the space station, in this case represented by AMSAT-DL, and special permission from the regulatory authority responsible in the respective country. The international and national legal regulations must always be complied with by the operator. The above agreement is in accordance with AMSAT-DL, AMSAT-UK, QARS and Es'hailSat.

• Sorry for the ramblings of an Old Git!:)

A recent thread on a Facebook group has me thinking about this, and as I know very little about remote operation, (yes I get the principle). Got me thinking what is a remote station. For example, I run a DATV station here at my registered station address. The actual transmitter and dish system is a Pluto and amps via a network connection to place it all at my dish. Receive is done either via Minitioune or longmynd, again via network connections and the pictures can be streamed from a thin client to a screen on my main PC. Everything is controlled via software. To me that is still remote operation as I do not have my hands on the equipment, but all OK as it is at my location and I can stop all very quickly if told to.

But there is nothing stopping me being 100 miles away and doing the same, video/audio via a RTMP stream and vnc to control. At what point does the station become remote? I can only assume when I am a distance from main address.

Could I then allow someone else to operate my station providing I am sat here? If so who's metta data would I have to transmit, my own or the others stations ID.

Sorry for the questions, but I do get confused with some of the terminology and having a prolong absence from the hobby did not help.

Adrian

• Official Post

We have in the German forum the same discussion about it so I can give only my own opinion. I also think this was not a clear statement.

Receive is done either via Minitioune or longmynd, again via network connections and the pictures can streamed from a thin client to a screen on my main PC. Everything is controlled via software. To me that is still remote operation as I do not have my hands on the equipment, but all OK as it is at my location and I can stop all very quickly if told to.

This is a remote operation in your own private home and is allowed.

But there is nothing stopping me being 100 miles away and doing the same, video/audio via a RTMP stream and vnc to control. At what point does the station become remote? I can only assume when I am a distance from main address.

If you are 100 miles away from home in your private domicile (Chalet or Hotel room) then remote operation is allowed. If you have your QO-100 TRX+dish in your holiday chalet because you have no possibility for an antenna at home, remote operation is also allowed.

Could I then allow someone else to operate my station providing I am sat here? If so who's metta data would I have to transmit, my own or the others stations ID.

NO !! This is definitely NOT ALLOWED. Also not for Club stations.

So, I hope my comments are correct and all is clear now.

• The satellite operator, in this case Es'hailSat, has the right to define which or what kind of 'operation' they allow on their satellite(s). After all, the satellite is owned by Es'hailSat and not by us. For the QO-100 transponder Es'hailSat delegated governance to AMSAT-DL.

The reason why the satellite operator has this point of view is simple: reduce failure factors. QO-100 is aboard a commercial/professional space vehicle with other (paying!) users/customers with well defined service level agreements (SLA's).

Bear in mind that from a professional perspective it is 'odd' that a satellite operator allows 'non coordinated' users on/through their space vehicle!

• Official Post

Bear in mind that from a professional perspective it is 'odd' that a satellite operator allows 'non coordinated' users on/through their space vehicle!

Very well said, Remco!

It did indeed require some educational work at the time that I, or someone in AMSAT, could not simply grab the telephone to "call" a user, as is actually the case with commercial uplink stations.

... and that amateur radio essentially has the privilege of self-regulation, apart from some technical measures.

73s Peter

• I will stick a response in here.

The question for me was basically when does it become remote, as said, I find some terms confusing, in my mind my setup is remote as it is all controlled via a computer but granted all at my own address. I was trying to get a better understanding and gather remote is simply being away from home but operating equipment at home. So thank you very much Thomas!

I might also suggest that if I was 100 miles away from home on holiday with dish and setup I would class that as portable, and appreciate I should not operate my registered station back at home via remote control.

I am personally not planning on doing remote operation, so please no twisting of underwear. There is a thread on Facebook where a US op was building a remote station and I responded to them saying to check as I believed what they were planning was not permitted, the response back to me inferred Amsat-dl and others were OK with his plans so I simply posted a question here to try and get some clarification for myself.

Have fun people.

Adrian

• ON4CJQ It applies to the uplink facility. Remember, (not to you personally) you are working through a facility which is not yours.

So, the owner (Es'hailSat) decides which users he (it) accepts on his space vehicle.

It's the same as that you decide who enters your living room at home. Because it's your house.

There are no technicalities involved , it's the owner who decides, like you in your own house / living room.