FT8 and FT4 on QO-100

• Hello,

what i want to say:

K9JT has given us a perfect tool during bad conditions on HF. Thanks Joe

But what i can not understand is why should i work on QO-100 in FT8 or FT4?

The propagation on QO-100 is always perfect. Who works on a local repeater in FT8?:/.

Machine to machine over space? Is it really necsessary?

I think it is more important to save resources on the bird.

73, DH2VH

• Well....i hear some stations with bad modulation. For them it's maybe better to work in FT8 mode....

Without joking, i agree with DV2VH, there's no need for FT8 mode but maybe some stations like to experiment with it.

And if so, please do!

And if you like to take a portable set with you on holiday, FT8 is a quiet solution, so you don't disturb your wife having a glas of wine and reading a book.....

73's Gert PE1RTC

• Dear OM

I understand we can't all like the same.

What I don't understand is why don't let other do whatever they like.

Is FT4 necessary? No. Neither is SSB, CW, or any other mode. We just do it because we can and because we like it.

So, yes, as long as it is not against the rules, do whatever you fancy, and let other do whatever they fancy.

73 FCosta, CT1EAT/M0HOJ

• Hello all,

I agree with what was already said: FT4 and FT8 are modes where a minimum power can be used for reliable communication. For instance, I was able to copy my own FT8 signal via QO-100 with an output power of 0.2mW at my 1.8m dish, resulting in an EIRP of 300mW (for comparison: the lower CW beacon is said to have 950 Watt EIRP).

A FT8 or FT4 signal can only be successfully transmitted if your station has been optimized in regards to linearity of the entire system and frequency stability, insofar it is a part of keeping your station up to date regarding the "state-of-the-art", which is a basic requirement of an amateur radio station.

Yes, there are stations who use much more power and communication is not really a challenge then through the satellite. However, believe it or not: it is fun! I have worked a few rare ones , such as EP4 and BY0 while I was assembling and soldering another project.

Regarding satellite resources, by the way: besides CW and a few other digital modes, I can not see any more power and bandwidth optimized signal than the FT-signals. Bandwidth is below 50 Hz!

Best 73

Holger 'Geri', DK8KW

P.S.: and yes, my main activity is rag chewing in CW with the occasional SSB QSO ... but playing around with some of the new stuff helps me to stay on top of technology :)