International QO-100 Emergency Frequency

• Official Post

In order to coordinate potential emergency communications during the actual or any other crisis, the following frequency will be assigned as international emergency frequency on QO-100 NB Transponder:

QO-100 International Emergency Frequency :!:

Downlink: 10489.860 MHz

Uplink: 2400.360 MHz

SSB channel: max. 2.7kHz bandwidth

All users on QO-100 are encouraged to monitor this frequency, but keep it clear for emergency traffic!

• 73 from ZS6AAG,

Working for Doctors without Borders as a logistician, i thought to use the satellite for exploration mission where we dont have any network. The only problem is that we need 2 ham radios to supervise the communication process, one at the mission headquarter and one in the field. Very few are Ham radios in the Ngos.

Any ideas are welcome to resolve this problem. I have already dicussed it with my colleague working for MSF Swiss at our headquater. Normally we use the immarsat satellite, but prices per minute are very expensive and in case of a globale emergency the satellite can be overloaded by organisations and not perform well as it was in the earthquake in Haiti. The money that we will save by using the satellite will be used for the patient....

ZS6AAG, TT8JLH, C91MSF, 3DA0MF

• Hello, my daughter is working at MSF Barcelona and I know the situation there a little bit. I would propose, that a local radio club should agree on a cooperation with MSF and set up a clubstation on their building(s). The club could then operate that station in case of emergencies. When I am back to Barcelona (after the virus) I am willing to do some coordination if necessary.

• Official Post

Normally we use the immarsat satellite, but prices per minute are very expensive and [...] The money that we will save by using the satellite will be used for the patient....

Despite full respect what you are doing for humanity, the above reasoning would definitely not be compatible with the ITU regulations for the amateur radio and amateur satellite services...

So I assume what you meant is during official emergency communication situation, officially backed-up by your local regulatory office and the national regulatory office of the satellite owner... which would be indeed an exception from the usual restrictions applied to amateur radio...

73s Peter

• Many thanks for all suggestions, I like the question from St2nh.

The question is also, can 2 ham radios one in the explo mission and one at the headquarter: Geneva, Berlin or Paris give the microphone to discuss as an example medical supply or transport schedule from RedCross or Army to the medical team under his supervision, I will say yes but I am not sure....

• Official Post

Q.

In extreme emergency situation,can I send a reassurance message to someone (not an amateur radio operator) listening to the satellite online ??

Hello Nader

I think yes, you are a HAM and HAM radio is open to everyone for listening. But the Non-HAM is not allowed to send. He can take the telephone instead and reassure his colleagues etc. And we become a good press. ;)

• Official Post

The question is also, can 2 ham radios one in the explo mission and one at the headquarter: Geneva, Berlin or Paris give the microphone to discuss as an example medical supply or transport schedule from RedCross or Army to the medical team under his supervision, I will say yes but I am not sure....

As explained above, this is normally not allowed according to the rules for the amateur radio service.

It is only allowed if an emergency is officially declared and such usage is officially backed-up by your local regulatory office and the national regulatory office of the satellite owner...

ITU Radio regulation says:

Article 25.3 Amateur stations may be used for transmitting international communications on behalf of third parties only in the case of an emergency or disaster relief. An administration may determine the applicability of this provision to amateur stations under its jurisdiction

Please refer to the following documentation:

https://www.iaru-r1.org/on-the-air/emergency-communications/

https://life.itu.int/radioclub/rr/art25.pdf

• Hello!

I have technical resources (Raspberry Pi mini server) to record 24/7 emergency channel, but don't have time for audio editing (there mostly will be silence/background noise) and don't have file storage. Does anybody interested to store and edit emergency channel recordings? I have scripts for automatic upload to AmazonAWS, Google drive and ftp server. Anybody interested?