console crashes

• i am experiencing a small issue whereas randomly the sdr console crashes for no apparent reason

pc is a i3 cpu with 16gb ddr3 ram

while im running the console what i can describe is the screen flashes goes black then comes back on but the gui is none responsive.. has anyone experienced a similar thing..

thanks all

regards sean

• That's quite a low specification PC. Are you trying to look at a very wide bandwidth?

• i was at 1.5mhz i have dropped it to 900khz and does seem to be more stable... what pc is recommended for sdr console..?

i thought it was a i3 cpu with 16gb ddr3 ram its actually a i5 3470 @ 3.2 ghz with 8gb ram and windows 10 pro

is that not fast enough

• Hallo,

the Console runs well, operating the Pluto via Ethernet. It seems to be difficult to handle much USB_Traffic. Don't use internal sound systems especially in case of Laptops. Sometimes it is difficult to configure.
    My recommendation is a simple small external sound card (for example Logilink 7.1 Surround). Deactivate the internal system. Look carefully to the Win_setups to be sure the sound system is configured correct.
    I don't think, the PC_performance is very important. Take a look to the system and check if all the drivers work correct.

Yellow flags in the hardware manager require your attention.

Please use the smallest bandwith possible. More gives more data....

Please avoid unessecary back ground programs like scanners, newsreaders and all that crazy stuff blocking cpu_capacity.
    My SDR-Radios (Hermes, Red PItaya and Pluto) are running with WIN10 and are not permanently connected to the internet. Switch off all the "home calls" using a program named "shutup". Follow the recommendations.
    Try to keep the PC clear and fast and don't use it for the daily work like emails, surfing and so on.

Single ITX-12V boards (DN2800MT4) from MITAC give enough performave, have a flash modul as harddisk and it is easy to integrate it together with the radio components. An example can be seen at my qrz page.

73s
    Andreas

• i was at 1.5mhz i have dropped it to 900khz and does seem to be more stable... what pc is recommended for sdr console..?

i thought it was a i3 cpu with 16gb ddr3 ram its actually a i5 3470 @ 3.2 ghz with 8gb ram and windows 10 pro

is that not fast enough

It should be OK, even though it is quite an old CPU from around 2012, without hyper-threading but with 4 cores. Had it been an early i3 with dual cores and limited performance it may have struggled. Especially if you had been looking in a wide bandwidth (some MHz) with a high res screen to update. There should be a CPU and GPU load indication at the bottom of the screen, as long as it's well below 100% you are not limited by CPU.

Pluto bandwidth rates with USB are not great and console does tend to crash if the connection to the SDR fails on it. USB lead, USB power, all things to check. If its more stable at 900kHz try 750kHz, 550kHz etc. That will help work out what is causing the crashes. There is also a logfile under tools. Another thing that causes crashes is where the Pluto reboots because it detects incorrectly that the power to it has changed. This is very common if you have an external antenna connected which is grounded. There is a mod to fix this.

Mike

• Hallo,

Mike, fully agree. There are more hints to stabilize the system. Pluto must be modified because of EMV too. I grounded the connectors to a cupper plated board below. Beside grounding there is more mechanical stability to the connectors. Take care to power supply and USB-to Ethernet -Adapter also.
    73s
    Andreas

• It should be OK, even though it is quite an old CPU from around 2012, without hyper-threading but with 4 cores. Had it been an early i3 with dual cores and limited performance it may have struggled. Especially if you had been looking in a wide bandwidth (some MHz) with a high res screen to update. There should be a CPU and GPU load indication at the bottom of the screen, as long as it's well below 100% you are not limited by CPU.

Pluto bandwidth rates with USB are not great and console does tend to crash if the connection to the SDR fails on it. USB lead, USB power, all things to check. If its more stable at 900kHz try 750kHz, 550kHz etc. That will help work out what is causing the crashes. There is also a logfile under tools. Another thing that causes crashes is where the Pluto reboots because it detects incorrectly that the power to it has changed. This is very common if you have an external antenna connected which is grounded. There is a mod to fix this.

Mike

Hi Mike,

as I mentioned, I use a mobile i3 CPU even a generation earlier, and it's definitely not the limiting factor.

I can confirm that the USB connection does cause crashes of SDR console. My Chinese RTL-SDR stick is a bit wobbly in the USB port in the laptop, and I have to be careful not to touch it accidentally. It helped to use a short USB extension cable to get the SDR stock out of the way.

73 Jens, HB9EKO