Coax Cable

• Hey,

Which coax cable can i best use for the connection between pa (china 8wtts) and the poty....max 5mtrs

Hallo,

Welches coax Kabel kan ich am besten verwenden zwischen meinen pa (china 8wtts) und poty?....max 5mtr

Greetings

ON7KEC - Luc

• Hi Luc,

the cable will always be a compromise between attenuation and minimum bending radius of the cable, i.e. the cable type depends on your possible mechanical setup.

I use Aircell 5 which has a minimum bending radius of 25 mm (for bending once, i.e. a fixed dinstallation) but an attenuation of 0.5 dB/m ( less than 3dB for your setup).

If you can manage to install a cable with a bending radius of 40mm, then Ecoflex10 would have approx. half the attenuation of Aircell 5.

If you go for a even thicker cable, let's say Ecoflex15, you could get the attenuation down to 0.16 dB/m, but the minimum bending radius is 70mm, which is pretty unhandy.

What s your exact setup? Do you really need to have that length of cable between PA and POTY, or could you place the PA closer to the antenna and run a longer cable between the PA and the TRX/Transverter? If the output of the TRX/transverter exceeds the minimum required input power of the PA, it might be better to put the cable loss in your link budget there.

I have connected my feed to a transverter with 0.5m of Aircell 5, and then run 5m RG58 from my 70cm TRX to the transverter. Thus I have most of the output power at the antenna, RF cable diameter is 5mm everywhere, the cables are cheap and flexible for my semi-permanent setup.

73 Jens HB9EKO

• DB2OS

Changed the title of the thread from “Coax” to “Coax Cable”.
  • Morning,

Tks for info.

@Jens

i dont need the 5mtr its the max that i need,after 5 mtr i am in the shack and can place the transverter and pa inside..

Buth i wil be place the pa/transverter behind the dish so i need only 1,5/2mtr cable.

Later i wil be replace the transverter with my pluto.

Greetings

Luc ON7KEC

• Official Post

My personal rule of thumb is 1dB max between PA and feed.. (and don't forget the 0.1dB per connector). So for 5m on 2.4 GHz (0.8dB cable attenuation), I would therefore use Hyperflex 5 (42.5dB/100m @2.4G) up to 1.9m and for longer runs Hyperflex 10 (21.8dB/100m @2.4G), so about 4m max. But as HB9EKO says, it will always be a tradeoff. Your mileage will vary..

Most important: don't try to save money on the connectors, always use the approved connectors for any coax cable.

• My personal rule of thumb is 1dB max between PA and feed.. (and don't forget the 0.1dB per connector).

That’s why I’m using Hyperfex 13 .5” it has 1 DB @ 6m and it’s flexible compared to the Andrew 1/2 “ heliax.

I prefer the electronics to be inside for weather protection – inspection and easy modifications with the penalty of more losses in the coaxial line.

73s Alex