How much power for wide band TV from UK with 1.2 meter dish please?

• For a no sweat, reliable uplink with a 1.2 meter prime focus dish, and probably a POTY TX antenna, although I may try a home made helical for the hell of it,, how much power do I need from a PA please? I am in the midlands, UK. I don't want to be buying 2 amps, I am starting dipping my toe in narrow band SSB, but my goal is wide band TV, so I would rather buy one amp that can be run throttled for SSB. Many thanks.

• I'm using 50-60 Watts with a 1.2m Channel master dish using a POTY feed. John

Hallo ....

i am using on TX side a 1.2m prime Fokus Dish with 3turn Helix feed (HM) ...cable length to the feed about 4m H2000.

With 60W out at the PA it goes to the LIMIT on SR1000. So you need for SR 500 or lower maxbe 30W (if your system is optimized).

Poty and RX LNB inside the DISH need may 1-3dB more power.

EDIT and NOTE: The power levels given are in DVB-S2 mode with a high linear amplifier... and you have to note that DVB-S2 needs an big PAR (peak to average ratio) of more then 6dB.

Example.... if you use an amplifier with maybe 400W peak output you can not go higher maybe then 70-80W to get a clear sprectrum.

73 de Michael dg0opk

• Thanks for the posts, I manage to get a watchable signal with my SG Labs 20W amp with a pre amp before it, fed from a Pluto, although I ended up with a 1.8 meter prime focus dish.

I have acquired a bigger PF dish and am in the process of making mounts for it, so hopefully I won't need any more power, we'll have to see. All the best there have been some exceptional quality signals from the satellite recently.

• get a watchable signal with my SG Labs 20W amp

Hello,

as Michael has already written, no more than 5 watts DATV can be taken from the SG-LAB amplifier!

Anything above that will end up with intermodulation and bad shapes!

Please remember, DATV is not SSB or CW,

Class AB amplifiers are mandatory.

73 de Robert