QO-100 Linux SDR Transceiver

• Hallo zusammen

Zuerst herzlichen Dank an die Macher dieser Software. Werde die SW in Kürze auf eine Raspberry pi 4 testen.

Ein Frage vorab. Ist es geplant, wie bei der SDR Console eine externe USB Relaisplatine ( z.B. für die PTT einer PA ) zu integrieren?

73 de HB9EIY

Michi

• Hello Michi and others,

I was pleasantly surprised by the announcement of the Linux Transceiver. Thought it would be a welcome addition to my arsenal. Installed it according to the description on an Raspberry Pi 400 with a PiSDR card. It started with the opening screen, but didn't get any further after doing the configuration. Redid it on another SD card with latest Buster installed, same problem, but now I got as far as a spectrum and waterfall with multiple symmetrical peaks, updating once every two seconds. Burned a new SD card with 21-03-04 Buster, again same result. Used two different Pluto's (both rev B), and USB-Dongle. Audio loop worked, although with an annoying hum, RF loop didn't. Also the settings for the frequencies were lost every time at restart of the app. On install I didn't get any errors, only warnings about Jack daemon not installed. At startup also warnings that Jack server didn't startup. But Alsa worked, so probably shouldn't be a problem. I've been at it for 6 hours without result, so I could use some help here.

Poll

• Hello QO100 friends,

I have been working very hard on this QO-100 Transceiver project for the last couple of week.

Now everything is ready and working. On large PC monitors and down to tiny 3,5" raspberry PI touch displays. Clicking the monitor symbol in the left top corner shows the screen resolution selection.

The GUI is optimized for Touch Screens or Mouse. A keyboard is not required (except for the initial setup).

The Pluto can be connected via USB or Ethernet.

Now I am ready for your ideas, reports and requests.

(Poll's question was solved in the github discussion.)

So the first request from HB9EIY is for an external PTT board, I will order one and try to implement it.

The latest version contains some languages I do not speak. I did the translation with google. So please check if french, spanish, portugees and italien are correct, Thanks. (please check the SETUP window, this is the only window which uses translations)

vy 73, Kurt, DJ0ABR

• Hi Guys,

thanks to Kurt for his outstanding commitment and work he is constantly doing!

I have some question about the minmal Pluto version which can be used in the linux qo100 transceiver.

Did somebody used an unmodified Pluto with this software?

What are the min. modifications you advise to be stable and on frequency?

How about the PTT?

Thanks for now es best 73

de sTef DM5TU

72 de sTef

… -.-

DM5TU / VY1QRP - DL-QRP-AG *GM* - GQRP #8769 - CalQRP #034 - NAP #1607

• Hi sTef,

the minimum requirement is to have a stable clock.
    This is most important inside the Pluto. While it is possible to do reception with the standard clock

it is impossible to do any transmission, the drift is faster than other people can follow your signal using a RIT.

If you have a Pluto Rev.C then it is very easy to install a connector for an external clock, just needs an adapter cable.

If you got a Rev.B Pluto then you need to do some very difficult soldering, but there are some people who could do this modification it for you (maybe here in the Amsat forum ?).

I personally also prefer to have a stabilized LNB.

The setup for our QO100 club station includes a pluto with a modified TCXO (no external clock, but the internal TCXO was repaced with a better one). And a Leo-Bodnar GPS which is used to stabilize the LNBs reference clock.

There are also some documents describing a PTT for Pluto. This is fine, but currently I don't use it. The PA is always on, and during RX it draws only quiescent current, which is low enough.

Regarding amplifiers: the TX output is about 0dBm. There are several options to get the required 5watts.

One option is to use the Amsat-DL 46dB amplifier ( https://shop.amsat-dl.org/prod…etrieb-mit-sdr-46db-gain/ ) if you can get one.
    Also the Amsat-DL Upconverter ( https://shop.amsat-dl.org/prod…con6w-6-watt-upconverter/ ) is working fine if the input attenuator is removed.

In our club station we are using the third option, which is a Analog-Devices CN0417 pre-amplifier (+20dB) which makes 100mW. After the pre-amp we use this easy to build amplifier ( https://dj0abr.de/english/technik/sat/sat_pa_stage1.htm ). The output is 5 watts. This 10W PA was built some 100 times and is working very well (Ernst, DL1EV, has empty PCBs, if you need one write an email to dl1ev@gmx.de )

The advantage of the Amsat-DL boards is the 12V power supply, while the 10W PA needs about 24 to 30 volts.

73 de Kurt

• Dear Kurt,

thanks for your explanations and time for feedback.

It is interesting to know that Analoge Devices took some revisions on the Adalm Pluto.

While reading the wiki on that device I got a bit confused because I could not find the info on the interface for an external ref. clock.

I will now investigate more deeply and see if I find all needed infos on the different revisions.

Seems like that the PLUTO+ could also be an alternative made to our needs and it is 30% right now.

Thanks DJ0ABR, Kurt for your feedback here on that issue.

The software is already running on a raspi4B 8gb.

73 de sTef DMt5TU

72 de sTef

… -.-

• AD empfiehlt eine 80 MHz clock, z. B. 40 MHz x 2 im UG-570:

REFERENCE CLOCK SETUP AND OPERATION

If the DCXO is not used, an external reference clock needs to be ac-coupled to XTALN (Pin M12). XTALP (Pin M11) is not connected (leave floating). The clock frequency must be between 5 MHz and 320 MHz, and can be scaled by 1×, ½×, ¼× and 2× using BBPLL, Rx and Tx reference dividers. The valid frequency range for the RFPLL phase detectors is 10 MHz to 80 MHz, and the scaled frequency of the reference clock must be within this range. For optimum phase noise it is recommended to operate the scaled clock as close to 80 MHz as possible. The selection between DCXO and external reference clock is made in the ad9361_init function.

• The valid frequency range for the RFPLL phase detectors is 10 MHz to 80 MHz, and the scaled frequency of the reference clock must be within this range.

das schreibt AD, leider stimmt das nicht. Ich habe das heute ausführlich getestet, da es auch einige Hinweise im Internet über Probleme gibt.

Die PLL arbeitet erst ab 20 MHz (bis 80 MHz) stabil. Unter 20MHz hängt es vom Zufall oder der Temperatur ab ob es geht oder nicht.

Ich habe derzeit 4 Plutos hier. Einer läuft mit 10 MHz, einer ab 15 MHz und die anderen beiden ab 18 MHz stabil.

Bei 25 MHz sind aber alle einwandfrei. Es steht einer Speisung von Pluto und LNB aus der gleichen Quelle also nichts im Weg.

Die Modifikation im LNB ist relativ einfach zu machen, entweder über ein eigenes Kabel oder auch über das Sat Kabel (wie mit dem Amsat Downconverter). Seitdem ein "netter" Zeitgenosse seinen Sägezahn über die Bake laufen lässt ist mir das lieber als der Bakensync.

Der QO-100 LINUX SDR TRANSCEIVER versucht den Bakenlock auf 2 Baken zu beziehen um dem Sägezahn-Störer zu entgehen.

• Hallo zusammen,

derzeit sind wir am Bau einer QO-100 Portabelstation. Raspi 4 mit Pluto via ETH.

Am Raspi ist ein 7" Touch Screen angeschlossen, 1024x600 pixel, der Transceiver wurde für diese Auflösung erweitert.

V1.66 wurde für Touch-Bedienung schon optimiert, ein paar kleinere Dinge möchte ich aber noch machen damit man mit dem Finger genauso feinfühlig bedienen kann wie mit der Maus. Vielleicht wird auch noch ein Drehgeber angeschlossen, es geht doch nichts über einen satten Aludrehknopf:-)

Versorgt wird das ganze mit einem kleinen Bodnar-GPSDO mit 25 MHz und dieser Schaltung:

LNB Power+Clock

Vermutlich werden wir das System in 2 Gehäuse einbauen. Eines mit Pluto und PA, das direkt an der Schüssel montiert wird. Und per ETH angeschlossen das Gehäuse mit RPI und Display, das dann am Tisch steht. Mal sehen, was uns da noch alles einfällt.

vy 73, Kurt

wobei ein nach Amsat-DL modifizierter LNB zum Einsatz kommt, also wo die 24/25MHz Auskopplung eingebaut ist.

• Thats the way, aha aha I like it, aha aha….

Great to see that your ideas are driving your actions and finally something really nice is coming out of that process.

I have one mayor question about the PLUTO while operating.

How is the PLUTO performing in CW mode?

Did you try?

Best regards es tnx fer reply

72/3 de sTef DM5TU

72 de sTef

… -.-

• Hallo zusammen,

Ein kleines Feedback

für Kurts SDR Transceiver und dem 7“ Display

Meine Empfangsanlage:

Amsat Downconverter mit Adalm Pluto und 80cm Spiegel

RPI4 und 7“ Display

Ich kann nur sagen

Der Empfang geht sehr gut

Auch die Modulation mit dem RPI4 und einem Bluetooth Lautsprecher hört sich sehr gut an.

Ich konnte auch feststellen dass die Latenzzeit sehr kurz ist.

Gute Arbeit Kurt

Vy73 ,Alfred DL3MX

• Thanks a lot!

Regarding CW, my CW is a bit rusty:-), so whats important for CW.

RX: maybe a narrow (adjustable) filter.

TX: sending a simple sine wave with i.e. 800Hz should do the job ? In this case it may be required to shift the TX frequency by this 800Hz, I'm not sure.

On an SBC the GPIO can be used to connect a key, or two GPIOs for a paddle.

Today I finished the integration on Odroid which was a bit tricky, but its done now.

vy 73, Kurt

• Hallo Kurt,

ich finde Dein Projekt sensationell, es ergänzt mein Portabel Setup (Pluto mit Volks-PA. POTY Feed, GPSDO) und 75 cm Humax Spiegel auf Holzdreibeinstativ (Zeiss Jena) hervorragend. Ich habe einen Raspi 4 mit Touchscreen in ein Gehäuse gebaut, alle Anschlüsse (Audio, LAN, 2xUSB3) nach außen gelegt. Den Raspi habe ich in ein mit Lüftern gekühltes Alugehäuse gesteckt(siehe Fotos/Anhänge).

Das Gehäuse ließ sich etwas schwer bearbeiten (niedriger Schmelzpunkt ;) ) aber mit einer Blende aus dem 3-D Drucker geht es.

Mir sind ein paar Sachen aufgefallen für Dich als Feedback:

1) Die AGC ist etwas aggressiv programmiert. Bevor ich nach drücken der PTT spreche, rauscht das Signal stark nach oben, dann beim Einsatz der Stimme ist es OK. Vielleicht kann man die Regelung verlangsamen (einstellbar machen).

2) Das Grün der RX Frequenz lässt sich am Touchscreen extrem schlecht ablesen, könnte man nicht eine dunklere Farbe nutzen (ähnlich rot TX Frequenz), oder die Farbe einstellbar machen?

3) Ich nutze mein Setup normalerweise mit der SDR-Console am Laptop, dort habe ich mir eine PTT (galvanisch über FTDI und aufgeteiltes LAN-Kabel mit Injektor getrennt) aufgebaut. Ich registriere dort die PTT softwareseitig über dtr-Leitung. Kann man so etwas noch in den Linux SDR integrieren? Das wäre großartig!

4) Die Bakensynchronisation führt bei mir zu leicht driftenden RX-Signalen. Ich habe mein LNB aber mit TCXO modifiziert, ohne Bakensynch läuft es stabiler. Die TX-Seite (PLUTO) ist bei mir aber mit GPSDO (40MHz) diszipliniert.

Wie gesagt, nur ein Feedback. Wäre toll, wenn Du am Projekt weiter arbeitest. Ich bin Linux-Fan und freue mich, dass es eine Alternative zur Console gibt

73 de Jens

• Hallo Jens,ich habe das Progamm installiert und läuft. In den Einstellungen sehe ich nicht mein USB-Stick fürs Micro und Lautsprecher. Wenn ich mit lsusb abfrage ist der Stick zu sehen. Ich verwende vom Raspberry die aktuelle SW.

Hast Du einen heißen Tipp??

Gruß Ulrich

• Hallo Ulrich,

gehen wir einmal systematisch vor. Was für eine Soundkarte hast Du?

geh mal bitte mit dem Raspi auf die Konsole und gib ein:

cat /proc/asound/cards

Das sollte Dir 3 Soundkarten ausgeben. bei mir ist das:

0: bcm2835_hdmi 1

1: bcm2835_headphones

2: usb-audio - USB PnP Audio device

0 ist der HDMI-Anschluss, der ja auch audio überträgt, 1 die Kopfhörerbuchse Onboard des Pi und 2 der USB-Stick. Bei mir ist das so ein Noname-Stick für 3 Euro, nix besonderes.

Sollte die Karte nicht angezeigt werden, ist schon etwas faul, denn auch wenn lsusb ein Gerät anzeigt, heißt das noch nicht, dass Dein Kernel Treiber hat, die das Gerät in ALSA aktivieren.

Wenn also Deine Karte hier nicht angezeigt wird, dann hat der Raspi keine Treiber. Wird sie angezeigt dann kannst Du Deine Kopfhörer mal dranhängen und einen 440 Hz Test sinus ausgeben:

speaker-test -t sine -f 440 -c 2 -s 1

Kommt ein Ton raus, ist alles OK, wenn nicht, ist Deine Soundkarte nicht als Standartgerät eingestellt. Schau erst einmal ob das grundlegend funktioniert.

73 Jens