Is v0.32-dirty Obligatory?

• Over 80 reads with no response on another forum, so I'm cross-posting here...

I'm a beginner in need of help. Please say if you think I should start over, but do tell me which ADALM Firmware to install first and exactly what else to add and in what order. Thank you.

• I have two Plutos, when both were working one, a Version B gave a lot more output on the same firmware as my version D. Maybe production tolerances, I do not know. Sometimes a basic pluto.dfu "fix" doesn't seem to flush all traces of previous firmware, at least that's my experience, a uboot-env.dfu is needed.

• I have two Plutos, when both were working one, a Version B gave a lot more output on the same firmware as my version D. Maybe production tolerances, I do not know. Sometimes a basic pluto.dfu "fix" doesn't seem to flush all traces of previous firmware, at least that's my experience, a uboot-env.dfu is needed.

Thank you for offering some help. I didn't know about boot.env.dfu, so this may be my best option.

Hi,

how much is a lot more output?

Regards,

Detlev

• Hi,

how much is a lot more output?

Regards,

Detlev

Actually I am now thinking it may be down to what firmware vesrion is run, I had been using a later firmware version than that recommended for my Portsdown 4, as I used my Pluto with ffmpeg scripts as well. Functionally the later firmware seemed to work perfectly.

With a late firmware I could not go over "Level-7" in the Portsdown menu without being too strong a signal. Reverting today to the recommended firmware version as an experiment "Level -7" took my power way over that of the beacon and "level -11" is now plenty. I am simply judging power against the beacon using the BATC Wide Band Specrum Monitor. Apart from firmware verision all else remained the same.

• I'm getting MER 7.1 off the WB Beacon, but people tell me I should be getting over 10 with a 1.3m dish. This, after many attempts to align the dish, skew the polarisation and find the optimum focal plane.

Getting back to the Pluto. With Pluto's maximum 0db output, followed by a 20db preamp and filter, the PA is only drawing 3.7 amps. The PA is supposed to deliver 100 watts with only 80 mW input and should be drawing around 8 to 10 amps. But, I can only activate the satellite to about half the beacon level. So I'm guessing the Pluto isn't delivering the expected 1 milli watt of output. This is why I think I need a lot more output.

Could it be down to ADALM firmware, in combination with Perseverance patches, when using a version D Pluto? If I DFU and start over, what ADALM firmware version should I install and should I try Perseverance again, or just stick with For The Brave? Or could the issue be caused by something else.

• I started with a 1.8 meter prime focus, spun aluminium dish that I brought from my previous house and stored it behind my workshop here for eighteen years. I think the very best signal from the WB beacon was about 10.8 on it with a Bullseye LNB. It's an old dish though and probably far from state of the art :)

Then, for going with a big trailer and removing it, I got given an Andrew 3.0 meter dish. Best I have seen from the WB beacon with this lovely prime focus aluminium dish is 12.4, it sits most of the time at 11.8 to 12.1 depending on weather and how busy the transponder is.

I am afraid I am not qualified to advise which firmware is best, but with this new RevD Pluto I first updated to AD's 0.34 firmware, then, as I use it mainly with my Portsdown 4, I loaded the BATC recommended patch, I am in bed now and can't remember the exact version, but if you go on the BATC Wikis and search for Portsdown 4 it's linked from there.

It definitely appears to give the Pluto more power for a given Portsdown 4 power output setting than the 0303 firmware I also tried. Why I have no idea.

All I have to measure the Pluto's direct power output is one of those tiny power meters model aircraft people use. I do have an elderly Marconi power meter and head, that'll do 2.4 GHz, but it's in storage and I keep forgetting to collect it when I am at the storage place.

My HP8568B SA won't go high enough to use that with an attenuator, I think it maxes out around 1.3 GHz, when I got it I had no intention of doing anything above 2 meters or 70 CMS...

The Pluto feeds an AD 0417 preamp, then that feeds an SG Labs 20 W PA via an attenuator. In turn the PA feeds the POTY via about ten feet of LMR 400 with SMA's each end. All the hardware apart from the Portsdown 4 lives in a cabinet under the dish.

If you want to try, but can't find the PD4 recommended firmware I can find you the link or send you the firmware itself tomorrow, my e-mail is on QRZ under my call sign, 2E0ILY.

Good luck!

EDIT:. Here's the link to the BATC recommended Portsdown 4 firmware that shows a lot more signal power from my Rev D Pluto than when I tried 0303 version.

https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Portsdown_4_Pluto

• Hello all,

you must specify the F5OEO firmware version and the SR used!

Different filters are used depending on the firmware version and symbol rate, so the performance (for DATV) can be up to 15dB different!!!!

73 de Robert, DD4YR

• Right, thank you Robert, there's our answer then Michael, it's normal and expected for different firmware versions to give different Pluto output levels at a given symbol rate. I had no idea the differences between firmware versions would be that big though. Digital magic!

Thanks again Robert.

• For example the F5OEO Firmware 1602

the PLUTO output pwr makes a jump from about 5 dB between SR500 and SR510

PLUTO v32
    pluto.frm 1602 (F5OEO)

VV class A/B 1W

SR PLUTO slider VV output
    25 -4 dB 10mW
    53 -4 dB 15mW
    66 -4 dB 23mW
    125 -4 dB 23mW
    250 -4 dB 24mW
    500 -4 dB 24mW
    510 -4 dB 85mW
    1000 -4 dB 85mW
    1500 -4 dB 90mW
    2000 -4 dB 90mW
    2500 -4 dB 90mW

• I have to say I'm very impressed with this forum and very much appreciate your help. I will attempt to get the Pluto back to factory default and stick with the basic F5OEO For The Brave.

The system I'm building is not based around Portsdown, mainly because QO-100 is the only option available in my part of the World. So I'm writing client/server software for Mac and RPi to remotely monitor and control the hardware situated on the roof terrace. Over 12 months in development, but the end is in sight!

• I'm about to give up and find something better to do, but I'm happy try again - if someone can spell out exactly how to get this $^%$ Pluto back to its factory default. The Analog Devices Wiki doesn't help me and neither do hundreds of outdated blog posts.

• I can't remember exactly how I got to this point, so I need to restart with a factory default.
    • My Pluto is Revision D and I do not use Windows or Portsdown.
    • I can USB mount the Pluto on a macOS Desktop and I can SSH when its connected over ethernet.
    • I want to reinstall a fresh firmware version that will be perfect for F50EO. I think that could v0.32
    • I need to know exactly which version of F5EOE For The Brave I'll need for Revision D.
    • I need to know where the correct versions can be downloaded from and how they are named.
    • I need an idiots guide to install these things, because my brain is filled with misinformation.

Please prevent me from having wasted 12 months of my life.

• All F5EOE firmwares have the same name, so I’ve never been able to know which version is which. Neither can I find an authoritative website with all the versions to download from. My approach has been to suck-it_and_pray. I’ve no idea which version I have working right now. If you figure it out a better way, please let me know.

• Check the bog of F5UII. He documented most of the known versions and its limitations...

I would advice on a Pluto rec C still the 0201 and only if you need the additions go for the perseverance versions...

Don;t forget the rev C patch from F5UII.. you need it.

benno

• All F5EOE firmwares have the same name, so I’ve never been able to know which version is which. Neither can I find an authoritative website with all the versions to download from. My approach has been to suck-it_and_pray. I’ve no idea which version I have working right now. If you figure it out a better way, please let me know.

Hi, if you need the F5OEO firmware, I can pass them to you!