Patch antenna, LNB and BUC

• Hi all,

I'm another newbie living near the equator. Since I have like many others an extreme tight budget, I want to try to build a vsat Ku band patch antenna with integrated LNB and BUC. It does not help that I have little scientific knowledge about the subject.

So here we go. The antenna I found is made from a copper clad PCB. Square reflector 170 x 170 mm and 94 x 94 mm transponder board.

My question now is, can I take a LNB board, solder a bit of coax to the antenna pins and the other side to the transponder board and likewise do something similar with a BUC?

• Hi, My first question is why an swl needs 13cm circulair patch.

Just leave the LNB original and put it into and dish and your on the road...

Second for the pictures. Your feeding point should not be in the middle and the mounting studs of the plate should not be in the active field but right in the center.

Right now your wasting money but its a nice learning object.

Have an other look at the original POTY Design.

Goodluck

Benno

• I see now that the patch was probably calculated for the L band, that frequency is far from Ku band. I must learn somehow how to calculate size vs frequency. In coils I know how to get it, a flat plate is another story.

The feed is the silver blob. Have to check why the center hole, maybe just for that, to center it.

Furthermore, I want something as an total integrated flat screen, so nobody get what it is. Can say it's a kind of solar panel of so.

• BTW "and the mounting studs of the plate should not be in the active field but right in the center", does it make a difference if the mounting studs are plastic?