LNB: Current Usable Ones with PLL for NB Transponder

• Hi George

If you look at the xtal terminals with an oscilloscope - before removing the xtal of course - it is easy to see which is input and output of the onchip oscillator. The terminal having lower amplitude and cleaner signal is the input. Where you can inject external LO.

73 Ole

• Hello, At last found an LNB in Turkish local market

RX sensivity is not good as octagon according to my humble comparison but it has NXP PLL circuit.. and crystal . Stable enough for SSB rx.

It is same board as Opticum Robust

It is sold as MAG PLL LNB Single in Turkey.

I also had a twin model..which has DRO in it.

Thanks to TA1D for opening up the single model and finding this.

• Hello guys, I’ve started experimenting with a cheap starcom, which have a 3566 pll and a 25MHz xtal , does anyone know if this chip can handle a 24Mhz clock (which would make a Neo7 module a good candidate for gps clock reference)? I could not find a data sheet...

73 iz2eeq

• Hi IZ2EEQ
    I don't have an answer to your question but rather a few comments.
    Comment 1 - Neo7 GPS and jitter.
    I think the Neo7 is not suitable directly as a source for injection locking a LNB. I have a lot of experience with the Neo6 line and also tested a Lea8-T and they are very jittery on the output.
    The Lea8-T is specifically made for timing applications and therefore have a more advanced TXCO compared to the simple oscillator in the regular Neo6 GPS modules. But they are both way to jittery for use as a reference.
    I have not tested the Neo7 line but I would imagine they are not much different.
    Even if you use an output frequency that is an integer from the internal 48MHz oscillator the frequency corrections are very jumpy and random in both short and long time scales. 24MHz is a good output frequency for these as you avoid fractional division spurs but even at 24MHz they are super jittery.

Comment 2 - Why not use a 25MHz TCXO for your Starcom LNB ?
    I would recommend the Abracon ASTX-H11 series of TCXO, they are available in 25MHz frequency and not to expensive. They have built-in electronics that counter-adjust the frequency drift of the built in quarts and are really nice TCXOs.
    They have an absolute precision of 2.5ppm but drift due to temperature changes is lower, around 0.5ppm.
    If you have it in the shack and feed the 25MHz on the coax the resulting frequency drift should be quite low and "good-enough".

//Harry

• Hello Harry, thanks for your comments. I had read the NEO7 was much less jittery when divided by powers of two but, as it turns out from your experience, it is not jittery free enough to be used on its own. Yet I wanted to go for a GPS disciplined solution, so I will end up using NEO as a reference together with a controlled oscillator and see where it gets!

73 iz2eeq

• Good morning,

I do not understand the wobbling issue. Some LNBs do, some not, even using the same PLL chip/design. Then I read that the x-tal may cause this. Because these LNBs are very cheap the parts must be extreme cheap too...

When I stay at the original frequency (27 MHz for my HD LIne Black Premium) and replace the x-tal with the connor winfield analog TCXO that Heiner DD0KP (I think was it) recommended, then the frequency should be stable without wobbling...

What do you think?

73 Mike

• Ja, kann man!
    Alle LNBs mit PLL können umgebaut werden. Ich habe erfolgreich ein 27 MHz Octagon Single LNB und diverse Goobay 25 MHz Single LNBs Umgebaut. Die Goobay gibt's für 'nen schmalen Taler bei diversen Online Händlern. Die EAN ist 040849 673214, die Art. Nr. is 67321. Der TCXO, den ich verwende, ist einer von Connor Winfield, Typ D75F-025.0M für diese LNBs. Ein 3,3V Spannungsregler, 15pF am Ausgang des TCXO und zum Einspeisen des Ausgangssignals ein 100pF in Serie, verdrahtet mit Kupferlackdraht.

• Hey Peter.

Mit Dir einer Meinung. Wenn es ein DRO wäre. Ist aber ein Goobay 67269. Und der wurde selbst in der Funkamateur beworben. Das sollte - wenn die Chinesen mich nicht veräppeln - ein PLL sein. Was aber auch noch sein kann - und das fällt mir schlagartig ein: dass der RTLSDR auch noch mitspielt. Wobei mir das bei dem RTLSDR selbst mit stunden-tagelangen RTL_POWER-Analysen nicht auffiel. Also doch der LNB2753.png:!:

• Official Post

Hi Marco,

leider ändern die Hersteller öfter mal das Innenleben.. durchaus möglich, dass da garkeine PLL (mehr) drinnen ist..

Ich habe trotz aller "Unkenrufe" hier seit knapp 9 Monaten einen unmodifizierten Octagon OSLO und kann mit dem Drift sehr gut leben... lediglich bei stark wechselnden Wetterbedingungen (Sonneneinstrahlungen) kommt es manchmal zu größerem Drift..

Mag aber sein, dass es hier zwischen PLL-LNB's verschiedener Hersteller auch Unterschiede gibt, zum Beispiel aufgrund unterschiedlicher interner thermischer Isolation oder Bauteiletoleranzen...

Achso.. mein LNB ist natürlich Tag und Nacht unter Spannung und "eingelaufen"...

Sobald der neue AMSAT-DL Down-Konverter fertig ist, werde ich allerdings den LNB auf Fernspeisung umrüsten.. der TCXO ist dann im Konverter und nicht im LNB.. :)

73s Peter

• Hey Peter.

Das mit den Revisionen ist leider so. Aber: Wenn ein Hersteller von PLL auf DRO zurückginge, würde ich Fragen stellen **lol**.

Und: Ich bin leider zu spät zur Party erschienen. Da waren die preiswerten O(T)SLO schon weg.

Ich werde asap versuchen einen LNB auf TCXO umzubauen. Ich verspreche mir davon das Übliche: Eine stabilere Frequenz.

Dass der 67269 so brutal wandert, hätte ich ja nun auch nicht geglaubt.

• Official Post

Den Goobay 67269 wollte ich nun auch bestellen, und zwar bei Conrad Electronic. Da ist er auch nicht teuer und sie haben grössere Stückzahlen verfügbar. Was da von Amazon, Aliexpress, eBay usw. kommt, weiss man ja nie so genau.

Von Wolfgang HB9RYZ wurde der Goobay als stabil befunden.