3cm Kuhne transverter

• I am seeing the NB transponder here quite clearly with a HB 10368/144 transverter tuned to 10368. Ahead of this is a 26dB gain preamp to help overcome the degraded performance of the downconverter at 10488. Some plots posted on the

ES2HAIL BEACON IS ALIVE

thread.

Charlie

• Hmm, Charlie, you have given me something to think about. I have an unused Kuhne 10368/144 Transverter myself, which isn't being used. I also have a high gain preamp that goes 10318-10418.

I might have to try something similar to your experiment, would only need a 10Gig or dual band feed (that would solve another problem), although I wonder about the filtering on the Kuhne preamp - might not have that much gain at 10489.

Iain

• Hi Iain

Not sure about the gain of the Kuhne preamp either. I have two other commercial ones, DU3BC and F1OPA. Both have inbuilt bandpass filters, but cover up to 10.5 no problem. The DU3BC has slightly less rolloff at 10706, so was useful in finding the EB initially.

Not sure either of the design of the DB6NT transverter. If it uses pip cap image filters, it would be quite easy to retune to 10488.

Charlie

• It is likely that sensitivity will not be an issue at all.

With my low-end setup (80cm "transparent dish" of questionable geometry, 7-euro LNB from China, and SDRplay RSP1a (or RTL-2832 stick) I get the noise floor of the transponder at 12dB above the noise floor of the receiver equipment.

So there is no reason to try to get the most out of the converter, pre-amps etc. Especially not on narrowband. Maybe on wideband, when you want to use a dish smaller than what is envisioned.

• Thanks both! I think I am coming round to building a second earth station. Since my Dishes aren't quite the size of those at Goonhilly, rather than name them Arthur and Guinevere, I'm thinking of Merlin and Morgane (SG1 Reference)

This Es'hail 2 / P4A stuff is way too much fun already!

• Hmm, Charlie, you have given me something to think about. I have an unused Kuhne 10368/144 Transverter myself, which isn't being used. I also have a high gain preamp that goes 10318-10418.

Did you see if you could receive the NB transponder on this transporter Iain? I also have a Kuhne MKU 10 G2 (the one with the 144Mhz IF). Will I be able to 'hear' the downlink?

• Hi David,

Not yet, it's still on my 'todo' list, but there's quite a lot of wiring to get out to the dish (and possibly a second dish), not to mention a 10GHz feed to sort etc.

Was hoping to this month, but looks like things might slip a little (too many inter-related projects HI!)

73s

Iain