Posts by VE4SW

Hi Ed, It is exciting to see that folks are trying to use different ways and tools to communicate on the satellite. If I am not mistaken, the current guidelines propose the use of non-FM signals with a bandwidth not exceeding 2700Hz. While you might have observed a 3.5Khz signal it was actually two signals close together. So, using FreeDV could be an option and for example D-Star is not. It is good to have a continuous open conversation within the AMSAT community and specifically AMSAT-DL on the opportunities and challenges of different modes, bandwidths etc., knowing that already a good amount of thought and discussion has gone into the current guidelines. At the end, amateur radio is and continues to be an experimental service guided by common principles. The current P4-A Transponder Bandplan and Guidelines "....might be updated regularly to take into account the operational experience." This is positive and applauded and shows that the guidelines are a living document.

Hope this helps,

73 Stefan VE4SW

Hi David, I am sorry that you feel so pessimistic about the ARISS program. It actually has been a major succesful initiative to get kids involved in STEM and amateur radio. In addition, thousands of ham radio operators have over the years put ISS RX/TX ground stations together to facilitate a school contact with the crew on the ISS. Contrary to your assessment, the amateur radio contribution is highly visible and well recognized by local, regional and national press! in addition, new equipment is currently being prepared for the ISS and will get voice and digital communications upgrades installed. So, stay posted and maybe get involved with a local school and host a contact. I bet the kids could learn a lot from you sharing your experience and allowing them to have a once in a lifetime opportunity.

73, Stefan VE4SW

Thank you!

Yes, that's the idea. I am actually looking at the coated camera light umbrellas for testing but ultimately like to build something. The dish option would work for uplink and downlink. The flat patch antenna would be uplink only with a simultaneous downlink reception via Websdr (eg., Goonhilly)

73, Stefan VE4SW

....yes everyone needs a sail... :)

Anyway, I like the idea of a flat panel antenna for uplink. It will be much easier to transport in a backpack for an ultra portable setup than a dish. That's what I am working on for my trip to Europe next year. Now, If I just could print a 3D foldable dish with metal coated cloth.....;)