Posts by G4MQB

@G4MBQ , the CN0417 get 0dBm from the Pluto and increase it to around 20dBm which is 100mW not 1 Watt.

Hi Oliver I agree and apologies for not writing more clearly, I was saying that I put a small SPF5189 Amplifier after the Pluto to boost the signal into the CN0417 which then puts out enough power to drive the SG-Labs PA.

I mentioned 1 Watt for the point that as the PA only needs 0.5W then the CN0417 is not being pushed hard at 0.5W. It does get very hot though, but a 40mm fan keeps it cool.

So Pluto =>CN0417 => attenuator ( to drop in the right entry level of 5-15dBm) => PA EP-AB003. I need about 500mW from the EP-AB003 to drive the final PA (SG-lab).

I think the CN0417 is rated 1 watt so should be good for driving the SG Lab PA, so I did Pluto=>SPF5189 Amplifier=> 3dB attenuator=> CN0417=>SG-Lab PA . This would need less space than using the EP-AB003. I think the PA output is about 17W but can't measure accurately, but is enough for me.

I'm not sure if the screen flashes, but I do have issues with the GUI freezing for a short time though the audio still plays. Also I seem to get more issues when connected via ethernet than when using the USB connection.

A good point, looking at the diagram in the manual it seems that the power to the rotator is just switched on or off and the control box has a reasonable amount of resistance in series with the potentiometer connections.

Therefore If I put a 26V AC PSU near the rotator with some relays to switch it to the rotator and fed those with the 26v from the controller in the shack, I could probably just use ethernet cable to run down the garden.

Martin

I need to mount a G-5500 about 70m away from the control box.

Does anyone know what thickness of power and control wires will be needed over this distance?

Also, does anyone have details of the signals sent down the 6 wires to each rotator? I was thinking than another option might be to have a microcontroller at each end which digitises what's coming down the wire and sends it over ethernet to be re-created by the other microcontroller. I'm guessing the rotator feeds information back from its potentiometer and the controller sends power to move the rotator.

Martin