Posts by PA3GUO

We need to be careful, for DATV we need to be within the -1dB compression point/range.

Seems to be at 6dbm input, but of course, all this is my initial result.

Also, check using an SDR, eg an Airspy, the spectrum of the portsdown output, the shape should not be distorded, the socalled shoulder for example.

DF2HF,

I did not modify mine yet.

I started at 16v, moved to 24v, and did some more tests at 28v.

Clear that performance/gain at 2250 MHz is 10dB better than 2400MHz.

Input was an RS signal generator.

So I will next snowflake the PA to get the higher gain also at 2400MHz.

The tables give the initial results.

My goal is DATV, intended use is to connect it to a Portsdown TX.

What is your goal, WB or NB usage?

Henk

G0MJW yes, all 4 LNBs are unmodified. I started with 2 identical ones, and later added 2 others from a different brand/design, as I wanted to make sure it wasnt a difference in design. The 2 new ones performed identically, and both also when mounted in the dish 3db better as the previous ones mounted in the POTY. Then I removed from one the horn antenna and placed that in the centerpoint of the dish, with a POTY lens, both via a copper wave guide (from the POTY kit) and directly: 3db lost.

All using same receiver and cables&connector only swapping LNBs.

Dish 1 Triax 90cm offset

Dish 2 120cm offset

For the NB transponder I use a POTY, a very practical single dish solution.

For the WB transponder I noticed that a bare LNB in the focal point (not via the waveguide/pipe of the POTY) gives me 3db extra SNR (MER of the beacon goes from 3 to 6db on a 90cm dish).

Also on the NB I receive 3db more signal on an unmodified LNB.

I also tried with only the waveguide (copper pipe) (without the POTY) on an LNB with the horn cut off: also 3 db less. With or with out lenses, with multiple LNBs, with varying position within the focal point, on a 90 and a 120cm dish.... a bare LNB seems always 3db better.

Also I see that quite a lot DATV WB stations use 2 dishes...is this the reason?

I can imagine the horn antenne that is cutt off results in a loss, but isnt a lense to resolve that, or only partially?

PS I need those 3 db extra for DATV reception, without I only decode the beacon at max 3db

Thanks

Henk, PA3GUO