Posts by CT1EAT

Nice DXCC List. Seems that OX (North America) is issing in the list, which has a low elevation access to QO-100 from some of the villages on the East Coast. Otherwise a nice complete list.

73, Oscar

Hi Oscar

Well spotted. My mistake. Here is the explanation. I started with the full latest DXCC list. Then I sorted by continents, and after I deleted the entities that were not covered by QO-100 theoretical footprint. I guess I thought it was safe to delete all NA, but my assumption was wrong.

Thank you for pointing that. Revised list attached.

Good Dx

73 FCosta, CT1EAT/M0HOJ

Dear OM

I understand we can't all like the same.

What I don't understand is why don't let other do whatever they like.

Is FT4 necessary? No. Neither is SSB, CW, or any other mode. We just do it because we can and because we like it.

So, yes, as long as it is not against the rules, do whatever you fancy, and let other do whatever they fancy.

73 FCosta, CT1EAT/M0HOJ

Dear All

For those who use SDR# software, you can add the lines below on BandPlan.xml file to easily comply with new NB transponder band plan.

<RangeEntry minFrequency="10489500000" maxFrequency="10489505000" mode="CW" step="10" color="red">EB</RangeEntry>

<RangeEntry minFrequency="10489505000" maxFrequency="10489540000" mode="CW" step="10" color="blue">CW</RangeEntry>

<RangeEntry minFrequency="10489540000" maxFrequency="10489580000" mode="USB" step="10" color="navy">NB DIGI</RangeEntry>

<RangeEntry minFrequency="10489580000" maxFrequency="10489650000" mode="USB" step="10" color="yellow">DIGI</RangeEntry>

<RangeEntry minFrequency="10489650000" maxFrequency="10489745000" mode="USB" step="10" color="green">SSB</RangeEntry>

<RangeEntry minFrequency="10489745000" maxFrequency="10489755000" mode="CW" step="10" color="red">EB</RangeEntry>

<RangeEntry minFrequency="10489755000" maxFrequency="10489850000" mode="USB" step="10" color="green">SSB</RangeEntry>

<RangeEntry minFrequency="10489850000" maxFrequency="10489995000" mode="USB" step="10" color="brown">MIXED</RangeEntry>

<RangeEntry minFrequency="10489995000" maxFrequency="10490000000" mode="CW" step="10" color="red">EB</RangeEntry>

It looks like this

73 FCosta, CT1EAT/M0HOJ

Satellite via QO100 shouldn't count for DXCC because there is no propagation skill. If you build the capability to work one station then you have capability to work them all. Working as many different stations as you can is valid but that's not DXCC. It shouldn't matter where those stations are and all are equally valued, which is the antithesis of DXCC. Let's evolve beyond HF DX.

With all respect, I strongly disagree.

If you reduce Dxing to "propagation skill", you probably haven't Dx before.

Dxing is much more than making a fast contact!

You need to:

- get the best equipment you can afford (not critical on QO-100, I agree)

- be continiously informed of all future activities

- be available during the Dx activity

- improve operation skills

- work the Dx

- get the QSL card (sometimes it's harder than all mentioned aboved combined)

- apply for the award once you achieve it.

This could take years, decades, or a life time!

Yes, in case of QO-100 there is a limit of DXCC (200 or so) and operating years (15, I have been told).

Yet, for someone who don't have any chance to have a decent HF/VHF station in the current QTH, this is much better than nothing!

Last, but not least, I do understand not everybody fancies Dxing or support it.

What I do not understand is the criticism to those who like it.

I always believed amateur radio world is big enough and there is room for everybody.

Just do whatever you fancy and let others have their fun.

73 FCosta, CT1EAT/M0HOJ

Dear All

Here are my tips for Dxing on QO-100

DX side

- Announce your activity previously going on air, with all the relevant details (e.g. Dates, Schedule, Grid Locator, QSL information, equipment, etc.). The purpose of doing so is to warn potential interested amateurs in advance and avoid to repeat on air (over and over) the same information.

- If you can't pick up full calls due pileup, WORK SPLIT. Just listen a few kHz up (or in a range, if the pile up is too big.) DO NOT work by numbers, take lists or ask just the "last 2" (partial call). Those "systems" are useless and unfair.

- Whatever rules you make, DON'T BREAK THEM. If you do, the pile up will have no respect for you and will break them too.

- Make sure YOU are always in control. Leave no room for ambiguity or any opportunity for anyone to break in.

Pileup side

- Have patience. If you don't have, turn off your radio and return a couple hours later. The pile-up is probably over by then.

- Increase your ability, not your power. Unlikely on HF, driving more power will not increase your chances to beat the pileup, but trigger LEILA instead.

- Don't spoil others fun. Once the pileup is over you will have plenty of time to have a long chat and tell the Dx station all about your setup, wx, etc. so, unless been asked, please refrain to do that while others are still struggling to work the Dx.

- Report activity on DX Cluster e.g. http://www.dxsummit.fi/ spotting Downlink frequency (eg 10489700)

For more tips (written for HF, but partially applicable to SAT as well) , go to https://www.hamradio-operating-ethics.org/ and download the slide set on your language.

See you on QO-100 pileups

73 FCosta, M0HOJ/CT1EAT