Posts by IS0GRB

Hello Raffaele, yes i confirm i have also noticed the problem.

A few months ago the problem was less frequent, but now it often occurs.

The signals are all lowered at the same time, seeing the QO-100 specifications (https://www.itu.int/en/ITU-R/s…resentations/Eshail-2.pdf) of the WB transponder there is no AGC unlike the NB one, the errors increase and the receiver loses synchronism in the instant that probably corresponds to the disturbance due to packet corruption.

It is known that the S band is used by meteorological radars ..

I noticed that using symbol rates lower than 333k the phenomenon is less marked probably because the receiver buffer empties less quickly and is less noticeable even if the problem is always present.

A small adjustment can be made by sending the keyframe faster for example 1-2sec (OBS streaming mode) or FPS value x1 or x2 (OBS recording mode) in order to keep the receiver more hooked even during freezes.

Even the use of FEC 3/5, 1/2, 2/5 could limit the problem in RX, even if you have to reduce the video bit rate; by inserting more redundancy bits the receiver could better reconstruct the missing or damaged data and limit the problem.

If you look at the BATC spectrum by selecting the FAST speed in the options you will notice a drop in the signals in random mode, you can see it well on the beacon signal that suddenly drops by 1-2dB and in that moment also on the beacon signal you see the interruption.

Sometimes it happens even several times in 1 minute and sometimes it is necessary to wait a few minutes to see the phenomenon; in the evening the problem is more pronounced

Roberto IS0GRB

Hi Bert, my server is running, no problem

Be sure to use vara sat modem v.4.2.0 and that freq. is 10489635.
    Normally you should use if possibile a gpsdo or try moving the vfo if not have a tcxo in the radio

You can monitor your signal using my websdr at http://websdr.is0grb.it:8901

Sending vara manually in ptt in Settings > Soundcard> Tune you should see your signal in 10489636.5 (+1500Hz)

If not try to adjust the vfo

Roberto IS0GRB

Pluto DATV IS0GRB Patch v.2.0 available

1.Normal DATV mode with OBS:

-Inserted new colors for the memories (Yellow, Brown, Harlequin Green, Light Turquoise)

-Added Yellow (default) and Turquoise colors for the BATC spectrum

-Compacted controller page and reformatted to have all commands aligned when the browser window is minimized, so as to keep under control even minitioune if you use only one monitor

-Inserted PTT ON-AIR timer counter; after 10 minutes of continuous transmission a beep will be emitted for 5 seconds, non-invasive, to alert the operator

-Added 8000Hz and 32000Hz audio sample rates in the audio coding section

-Added automatic 3rd harmonic frequency calculation for frequencies from 6GHz to 18GHz:

[The pluto as you know is capable of generating different harmonics.

After numerous tests carried out and after some comparisons with the author of the Satsagen software, we found that the Pluto in the harmonic frequencies does not modify the modulation as the mixers work in a harmonic way,

the base band then modulates the carrier in the mixers on the harmonics and for this reason the modulation on the harmonics is the same as the fundamental.

This observation opens a new world of experimentation in DATV even on frequencies higher than 6GHz, for example it is possible to transmit in DATV even in 10GHz by setting the 3rd harmonic frequency.

It is sufficient to filter the 3rd harmonic with a dedicated filter for 10GHz, amplify it and you are operating at 10GHz in DATV. The third harmonic has a level of about -35dBm.

It is also possible to carry out tests without a filter; set 3457MHz on Pluto and with an LNB nearby you can perfectly see each other again at 10371 MHz.

This therefore also allows the Pluto to be used as part of a "Low cost" 10GHz transverter.

I thank my colleagues Raffaele IW1QEF, Roberto IK6BLO and Giulio IK2DED for the tests and measurements.]

2.RF Repeater DATV Mode:

-Added internal functionality of Transport Stream source switch in order to use an IP-Camera for the beacon in repeater mode.

(When the repeater is active and no signal is in transit, the beacon will be sent with the streaming of an external IP camera. Tested on our IR0UDV repeater in Cagliari with a Full-HD IP-Camera)

-Possibility of selecting 4 beacon sources in repeater mode (IP-Camera with external script, IP-Camera with HTTP streaming, Live beacon video file or Static Beacon video file)

3.Beacon mode

-Added beacon mode timer and timer duration. Up to 6 timers can be configured; each timer can have a maximum duration of 10 minutes

-Clicking on "Save" in the "Beacon Timer" section will also configure the correct time to the Pluto; useful if connected via USB.

There is also a special button to do just this operation; if the Pluto is connected via LAN, the time will be updated via the Internet via NTP server.

4.Documentation:

-Inserted link at the top of the page for OBS Studio configuration guide in H.265 without a dedicated card

-Included guide for IP-Camera configuration in beacon mode

5. Fixed some bugs in Normal and Repeater mode

[IMPORTANT: After loading the patch press CTRL-left + F5 to refresh the browser cache]

Pluto Rev-B: https://drive.google.com/file/…CTMd73fk/view?usp=sharing

Pluto Rev-C: https://drive.google.com/file/…PGifHaEE/view?usp=sharing

I updated the document for H265 in OBS without a dedicated card with the parameter for controlling the bit rate for those who use the libx265 encoder and the guide on how to check if the CPU supports Intel Quick Sync Video graphics functionality, so you can use the hevc_qsv (libx265) encoder which uses much less CPU and has really strict bitrate control

Italian

https://drive.google.com/file/…OM3BZM8r/view?usp=sharing

English

https://drive.google.com/file/…kxqxg7j3/view?usp=sharing

Roberto IS0GRB

Hello Mike yes certainly a full-hd qso is also superfluous but you can see the difference very much by transmitting movies with a lot of movement or colored images, the difference is abysmal

"Note before: (please read)

You need a modern computer with good CPU to run the software encoder libx265.

On my Ryzen 3 i could run upto 1280x720x15 in Windows. (with other applications beside e.g. Minitioune RX)

On my Ryzen 5 i could run upto 1920x180x25 in Windows (but this is the CPU limit)

On Linux 1280x720x25 is possible on a Core I7-7700T (low power CPU)."

-------------

Yes Mike encoding in h265 true is not a trivial matter and the cpu works a lot but the quality is much higher. as mentioned you can use all the scripts you want but if you do not code directly from OBS the results are not the same.

If it works for you can use the hevc_qsv (libx265) encoder which uses less cpu, but as you will see it will also have slightly less quality in h265, but it manages the bit rate control well which is very important, as it is not present in recording.

Thanks for you informations and share

Roberto IS0GRB

Hello Mike thanks for your interest.

This method aims not to use any external script that we have already used, moreover the OBS virtual camera does not have an Full-HD source and this does not allow to have an h265 output with the very high quality using a script.

You can read some posts about this:
    https://obsproject.com/forum/t…grades-resolution.130822/

The only native h265 method is this, using the encoder directly on OBS, all the others are workarounds that lose quality and therefore also use less cpu.

I am interested in your tests on OBS libx265 or hevc_qsv (libx265) encoder

Roberto IS0GRB

If OBS returns any errors by going to recording, close and reopen OBS.

Make sure that you have the Intel Graphics drivers installed and the GPU is enabled in the BIOS so it will be detected by Windows.

hevc quick sync encoder is normally supported with the last CPU generation; if not work please select libx265

Roberto IS0GRB

On OBS, in recording mode, there is no CBR control as in Streaming mode, which allows you to have a constant bit rate even in the presence of moving images.

This forces you to keep the video bit rate much lower to avoid saturating the Transport Stream if you decide to transmit moving, accelerated or very colorful images.

To overcome this inconvenience and have an effective control i have updated the document with suggestions for using another H265 encoder available among those added which also allows a reduction of the CPU effort.

See the attachments updated document in Italian and English

The forum does not allow attachments larger than 1M, i have posted the updated documents on google drive:

Italian

English

Roberto IS0GRB

As many of you know with the OBS Studio program it is not possible to use the H265 codec without having a dedicated video card that supports this codec.

Below I will explain how to update the OBS in order to have the H265 codec and then encode the video with a much higher quality than the H264 codec.

For the use of this mode, the use of a high-performance PC is recommended, at least with I5 8th Gen processor or higher, as in H265 mode the OBS program uses much more CPU than normal.

See the attachments in Italian and English

Italian

English

Roberto IS0GRB

Pluto DATV IS0GRB Patch v.1.9 available

1- Added compatibility for using SDRConsole with all F5OEO firmware.

With the latest basic versions of the F5OEO firmware, the SDRConsole functionality is enabled or disabled by a specific setting in the SETUP page.

You are therefore obliged to open the Pluto page and set this mode in order to use the program.

Being bound by this selection, the SDRConsole program does not transmit because PTT is not enabled by default.

As has been verified on SDRConsole, when the TX key is pressed it does not actually send a PTT command but only the setting of the power level selected with the slider in the TX part, as it is based on the official firmware version of the Analog device where the PTT is always enabled.

As soon as the "pluto.php" web page is opened, PTT is immediately disabled.

From then on you can select your PTT ON / OFF preference after applying the settings by pressing the "Apply Settings" button.

If you decide to use SDRConsole again, you can do it in several ways:

A. Manually enable PTT from the Pluto web page if it is still open on the browser

B. Reboot the Pluto

C. Disconnect / reconnect the Pluto from the USB socket if connected in this mode

2- Fixed a bug on the memorization of the flags on the 4 types of modulators Normal OBS, Repeater, Live Beacon, Static Beacon

When creating the memories, the 4 flags were not stored and then clicking on Apply Settings, sometimes, in the repeater or beacon mode the Pluto did not transmit, because an addressing path not compatible with the chosen DATV mode.

3- Added the SR20 in the modulator drop-down menu.

4- The PCR and PAT sliders now start from 40ms, to set the correct PCR value as required by the DVB protocol specification (100ms).

Suggested values for perfect synchronization even in Graph mode of the minitioune PCR 100ms and PAT 100ms.

If the minitioune has problems with synchronization in Graph mode, press RESET on the side to synchronize the transmission correctly.

It is important to correctly set the keyframe value in OBS. Set the value 2sec if you use Steaming or the value (fps x 2) if you use Recording.

5- Added audio bit rate values from 32k up to 48k to the Audio Settings drop-down menu.

6- Added the possibility to set the buffer latency in the encoding, from 100ms to 1000ms (Default 400ms).

This parameter has been added on memories.

7- DVB Provider removed from memories.

The string saved with "Save to Flash" is used.

8- Added link at the top of the help page for setting the metric on the pluto network in case of problems during tuning by clicking on the spectrum signals.

Download:

Pluto Rev-B: https://drive.google.com/file/…CTMd73fk/view?usp=sharing

Pluto Rev-C: https://drive.google.com/file/…PGifHaEE/view?usp=sharing

After about 1 week of observation and the new 4.2 version of the Vara Sat modem it seems that everything is working correctly.

If you notice anomalies of connection and/or speed problems it is advisable to report the information to myself and the author Jose EA5HVK via email.

Thanks for collaboration

Roberto IS0GRB

Good morning i reported to Josè a malfunction of the version 4.1 of the vara modem.

It seems that sometimes it has problems in decoding, often the correspondent transmits but the server does not decode, the speed decays frighteningly and when the server decodes the SNR value is often extremely low as you can see from the attached screen, which never is happened with version 4.0.2 where the speeds were high.

I asked if you can check this and possibly release, as soon as possible, a version that works in decoding like the previous one as many fellow radio amateurs are having big problems.

Roberto IS0GRB

Good morning. This is my patch 1.8 compatible with the Adalm Pluto Rev-C.

I would like to thank Nico ON7NDR for the availability, testing and debugging to fix the problem to make my patch compatible with Rev-C and allow him to operate in DATV again.

Please use this version only with Adalm Pluto version C:

https://drive.google.com/file/…PGifHaEE/view?usp=sharing

In the next versions i will try to do a self-recognition of the Pluto version in order to have a single version.

Roberto IS0GRB