Posts by IS0GRB

Good morning, recently the winlink authors have made important updates on the server version making the VARA SAT 3 modem software unusable.

Jose EA5HVK has released a new version VARA SAT 4.0.0 which regains compatibility with the new versions of the winlink server.

This version is not backwards compatible with version 3 so you need to install the new version of the VARA SAT in order to make your email connection work properly.

I am sorry for this mistake but i could not do anything to avoid it.

If you encounter any problems i ask you to report directly to the author who is waiting to verify from your tests if everything works correctly

You can download the new VARA SAT version at this address:

https://rosmodem.wordpress.com/

In attach the new speed level table for VARA SAT v4.0

Thank you

Roberto IS0GRB

After the appropriate tests, and for this i thank some colleagues who have made themselves available for the tests, IK8XLD, IZ7PDX, IZ5TEP My patch 1.3 for Pluto is ready.

As mentioned above the patch is compatible with the fw 2908 version.

In this version 1.3:

1- Added Pluto TX Frequency Offset and Reset Offset button

You can now set the TX offset to obtain the exactly TX frequency

2- Added DATV Beacon Mode

You can put small .ts video in the Pluto and set properly SR/Mod/FEC. The file must be "beacon.ts"

You can create the file transmitting with your Pluto with same SR/Mod/FEC and record yourself with Minitiouner and Record button

A. (Live Beacon):Upload the beacon.ts file, via the form at the bottom of the page, with same Symbol Rate that you intend to use

File must not exceed 25MB (See Upload Live Beacon file section)

Now insert this path instead the Default input: /www/beacon.ts

The file will be played in a loop and will be erased after a reboot or power supply lost.

So connect before an external 5V power supply/power bank to the right end

B. (Static Beacon):Upload the beacon.ts file, via the form at the bottom of the page, with same Symbol Rate that you intend to use

File must not exceed 500kB (See Upload Static Beacon file section)

Now insert this path instead the Default input: /mnt/jffs2/beacon.ts

The file will be played in a loop and will be not erased at reboot, so you can use this as portable DATV beacon.

You can Delete the Live Beacon file or the Static Beacon file using the form at the bottom of the page

3- Added power slider "Lock to max value". Now you can lock the slider so that also increasing it not exceed the value of the lock

4- Added Pluto Audio Section. Now you can use low Symbols Rate (SR25,SR35,SR66) changing audio quality directly from Pluto without use external script

5- Improved Pluto video encoding quality. Pluto's ffmpeg now uses preset "film" which improves video quality especially on low SR

6- Improved CPU usage. Limited ffmpeg processes that led to exaggerated use of the CPU. With high SR the pluto now behaves better

7- Corrected some bugs of the DATV Repeater mode

One of the important and very convenient functions is the possibility to modify the audio quality directly from Pluto, in this way it will be possible to go with low Symbol rate SR66, SR35, SR25 directly in H.264 or H.265 with OBS reducing the audio parameters on the Pluto, without necessarily having to use external ffmpeg scripts that use a lot of CPU and for those who do not have H265 card, from the tests carried out, it has no use other than to reduce the audio for the low SR, but the video quality after all these manipulations it got worse than going straight into H264.

https://drive.google.com/file/…CTMd73fk/view?usp=sharing

After the appropriate tests, and for this i thank some colleagues who have made themselves available for the tests, IK8XLD, IZ7PDX, IZ5TEP, my patch 1.3 for Pluto is ready.

As mentioned above the patch is compatible with the F5OEO fw 2908 version.

In this version 1.3:

1- Added Pluto TX Frequency Offset and Reset Offset button

You can now set the TX offset to obtain the exactly TX frequency

2- Added DATV Beacon Mode

You can put small .ts video in the Pluto and set properly SR/Mod/FEC. The file must be "beacon.ts"

You can create the file transmitting with your Pluto with same SR/Mod/FEC and record yourself with Minitiouner and Record button

A. (Live Beacon):Upload the beacon.ts file, via the form at the bottom of the page, with same Symbol Rate that you intend to use

File must not exceed 25MB (See Upload Live Beacon file section)

Now insert this path instead the Default input: /www/beacon.ts

The file will be played in a loop and will be erased after a reboot or power supply lost.

So connect before an external 5V power supply/power bank to the right end

B. (Static Beacon):Upload the beacon.ts file, via the form at the bottom of the page, with same Symbol Rate that you intend to use

File must not exceed 500kB (See Upload Static Beacon file section)

Now insert this path instead the Default input: /mnt/jffs2/beacon.ts

The file will be played in a loop and will be not erased at reboot, so you can use this as portable DATV beacon.

You can Delete the Live Beacon file or the Static Beacon file using the form at the bottom of the page

3- Added power slider "Lock to max value". Now you can lock the slider so that also increasing it not exceed the value of the lock

4- Added Pluto Audio Section. Now you can use low Symbols Rate (SR25,SR35,SR66) changing audio quality directly from Pluto without use external script

5- Improved Pluto video encoding quality. Pluto's ffmpeg now uses preset "film" which improves video quality especially on low SR

6- Improved CPU usage. Limited ffmpeg processes that led to exaggerated use of the CPU. With high SR the pluto now behaves better

7- Corrected some bugs of the DATV Repeater mode

One of the important and very convenient functions is the possibility to modify the audio quality directly from Pluto, in this way it will be possible to go with low Symbol rate SR66, SR35, SR25 directly in H.264 or H.265 with OBS reducing the audio parameters on the Pluto, without necessarily having to use external ffmpeg scripts that use a lot of CPU and for those who do not have H265 card, from the tests carried out, it has no use other than to reduce the audio for the low SR, but the video quality after all these manipulations it got worse than going straight into H264.

Hi Benno nice to read you.

Using the pluto connected via USB it is necessary to enable the router function on windows and enable the protocols to be used on the firewall to pass the replies.

With the sharing configuration is activated a NAT rule for which the Pluto reaches the internet but as you have tried you cannot reach the Pluto from the local network itself due to the reasons i have just written to you.

If you use the network adapter and follow the guide of my DATV Repeater patch you will be able to use the Pluto without problems in the local network and on the internet automatically, as the patch already integrates these features, everything is explained in the guide.

IS0GRB - Pluto DATV Repeater patch v.1.0 - October 16th, 2020

Roberto IS0GRB

Good morning, this is the v1.1 (October, 24th) of my patch Pluto DATV Repeater

I reinserted the old fix of G4EML for correct H264/H265 codec seletion in the external box which was present in my first patch of August,15 and lost with the various release changes

Thanks to Mike G0MJW which pointed out the problem

I remember that it is important to have installed the firmware version 2908 and not others

Roberto IS0GRB

Some colleague pointed out to me that after uploading the patch they couldn't remove it anymore.

He later discovered that instead of renaming the patch to "patch.zip" it was mistakenly renamed to "patch.zip.zip".

Sometimes with windows and notepad this can happen because when renaming files it applies a default extension.

To solve the problem access to the Pluto in SSH using Putty (login: root / pass: analog) and issue this command:

# rm -f /mnt/jffs2/patch*

then restart the Pluto with this command:

# reboot

You can now reload from the pluto.php page my DATV repeater patch, that add some other features, making sure that it is actually renamed patch.zip

Roberto IS0GRB

Pluto DATV Repeater patch v.1.0 - October 16th, 2020, by Roberto IS0GRB

This dedicated patch is compatible with all versions of F5OEO firmware.

You can use it for normal operations and also permit to create a DATV repeater, with an Octagon SF-8008 decoder, and/or a DATV beacon.

It also integrates various implementations for normal operations in conjunction with OBS.

It also allows you to set an Ethernet Default Gateway when using an USB-Ethernet adapter and to be able to connect the Pluto to the internet, which can be managed from the Internet through a rule on your Internet router.

I share this project, so that it becomes easier today to make a DATV repeater based on DVB-S / DVB-S2

https://drive.google.com/file/…GcfoA530/view?usp=sharing

Roberto IS0GRB

Hello Paul i also confirm.
    I sent an email to fournitures@r-e-f.org like this:

-----------------------------------------------------------

Title: Informations sur le KIT014

Bonjour, je serais intéressé par KIT014.

Je voudrais savoir s'il est disponibles, comment puis-je les acheter et les coûts.

C'est mon adresse:

Callsign: IS0GRB
    your name and surname
    your complete address here..

Cordialement

Roberto IS0GRB

They replied like this:

Bonjour,

Vous trouverez ci-dessous un devis pour un KIT014 Minitiouner-S "Compact".

https://boutique.r-e-f.org/kit…ts/281-minitiouner-s.html

https://www.f1te.org/index.php/datv/minitiouner-s

Le prix est de 89.00€, une contribution de 10.00€ pour les non membres , 15.00€ de frais de port total 114.00€, par PayPal sur le compte ref-paypal@r-e-f.org

Indiquez les détails de la commande dans la zone de message de ,l'interface PayPal.

En vous souhaitant une bonne journée.

Cordialement

Adélaïde

Service fournitures du REF

Roberto IS0GRB

Good morning i am attaching the link of the latest alpha firmware 2908.

The F5OEO site looks like hasn't been working for several days so i have shared it on Google Drive.

It integrates all my changes up to 29/08.

The following of 30/08, regarding the flag for the choice at the startup of the modulator, feature requested by some of you, have not yet been inserted by the project manager and i don't know what's happening; i delivered them a few days ago.

If you need the PTT button on the analysis page, you can then load the patch.zip file referred to in my previous post

https://drive.google.com/file/…A1ulH7pN/view?usp=sharing

Roberto IS0GRB

Have a PTT in the page where you see the analysis of the TS. Once set up that's where you want to be - or even have the analysis on the same page as the settings that influence it.

Hi Michael, sorry for the delay, i didn't forget, but i was working on other things that was faster to implement.

I have prepared the change you asked for, the PTT on the analysis page.

I have tested it and it works correctly.

You can load the patch.zip to have the change immediately, otherwise it will be available in the next firmware as soon as Evariste F5OEO prepares it

Attached as it looks

Roberto IS0GRB

Good morning DD0CW and G8UGD

It was not easy to carry out this implementation, as the modulator is currently started automatically by the system and not through the button of the pluto.php page, which instead only checks the status after the start and indicates it on the screen.

We had to coordinate with Evariste F5OEO to make sure that at startup it now checks a parameter that will be written in settings.txt via pluto.php.

In this way you will be able to choose whether to start it ON or OFF.

The system also memorises the selection status to present it on the screen after reload

I can't give you a patch.zip because Evariste has made some other changes in his scripts.

You will find the implementation in the next firmware.

I hope you are satisfied with the change. Now you should no longer have problems with unwanted transmissions

See the example attached

Roberto IS0GRB

For G8UGD's and DD0CW 's request and who interested, this is the patch that "Save SpectrumView button state" and also "show how much patch.zip are loaded", in order to understand without remembering if a patch.zip has been loaded before and delete it if necessary.

Even Evariste F5OEO agrees that everyone should be able to disable the spectrum if not necessary.

Just upload it via the upload form at the bottom of the pluto.php page and you will have the change immediately.

IMPORTANT: Remember to delete the patch.zip file before upgrade to the next complete firmware

Roberto IS0GRB