Posts by G8JGO

Thanks very much for the link. Interesting reading, but doesn't really answer the question IMHO. I understand full duplex is needed to listen for relay confirmation in an orbiting sat and to correct for doppler. But with QO100 being a stable platform as such I'm still curious about this from a geostationary point of view. If I'm being asked to follow rules, I'm always curious to know why the rules are there :)

It seems, to me, that the requirement for mandatory full duplex is more than just monitoring your own transmission - which is a good practice of course - which does not seem to work anyway as there are some poor quality signals on the satellite!

I do intend to be full duplex anyway once I get TX working, and my interest is in measuring the full path audio response from transmitter to receiver. I've also got a little project underway to build a 2.4GHz CW/FSK (AM) transmitter from a DDS/PLL. I put AM in brackets as it would be easy to modulate the PA to allow for some voice - I know, I know... I think that is the subject for another post :)

Thanks 73.

--> Full-Duplex operation is mandatory

Sorry to sidetrack this interesting thread a bit. I don't, yet, operate TX on QO100 but I can't find the reasoning behind the "why" for full duplex. Is it simply to monitor for LELA? (Or why max 2.7KHz either when there seems to be a lot of unused space on the satellite - of course I understand if it's busy and operating close to others). Interested from an experimentation point of view.

Back to the thread. In broadcasting there is a technique called "mix minus". I have an audio mixer has a telco channel so that a person who telephones into the station cannot hear their own voice back - they only hear the presenter (live or talkback for cueing) and, optionally, the station output. So If I understand correctly this is the same technique but using DSP cancellation and delay compensation that is being tried out here - interesting.

Many thanks, David.