Posts by PA5Y

Hello all. I am just about to order a roof mount (tagelvoet) that uses 60 x 40 x 5mm concrete tiles for ballast. The ballast weight is approximately 108kg

My intention is to mount the dish and mount on top of a flat metal shipping container that I use for storage. It is clear in the direction of the satellite. I have a Triax TDS 110 offset fed dish. The standard pole for this roof mount is 70cm long which means that the lower edge of the dish will be around 25 cm above the metal roof and around 1.5m from a wall to the West of the dish.

How much clearance do I need?

I can buy a 120cm pole but then I should probably go to a 60mm diameter pole instead of the supplied 48mm.

I have no idea what is needed, I don't want to pick up noise from the container.

Thanks in advance.

Conrad PA5Y

Hello Peter, shielding and weatherproofing is my main concern. I see lots of foil and braid shielded cables but the braid always seems poor. Of course unlike my other systems the sat system will be fixed so I do not have to worry so much about foil cracking. This is a big issue for my other systems with rotators.

I expect that I will have to add some additional attenuation!

73 Conrad PA5Y

Hello Thomas

Sorry for the late reply, I was not home until late.

I read that the POTY is around 2.5dB better on TX. Most attribute this to the fact that the POTY has better circularity. I decided the best way to tell would be to confirm it for myself.

Regards

Conrad PA5Y

Thanks for explaining that Martin, very helpful.

I have options for receiving. I can use an Afedri SDR-VHF so can directly receive wherever the IF appears, I have to lock the Afedri to 80MHz but I have done this with a Perseus RX so I do not expect problems . However most likely I will use my ANAN-100D in duplex mode. This means I will need to convert from the IF to 28MHz.

On TX I have made a 144>2400 upconverter from parts I already had, it works beautifully at up to 18W PEP with 3rd orders at -42dBc. PN is much better than needed. Also in the path is HA1YA 144/28 XVTR, a 116 MHz Kune XO locked to 10MHz, For TX I have a 7dBm mixer, 2256MHz LO, SAW filter, UTMS PA and one of those nice Band pass filters from Poland. LO leakage is -78dBc, IF leakage better than I can easily measure (>100dBc). I expect to use a lot less power than 18W with a Triax 1.1m dish. Of course it still needs boxing up. I will need 6m of coax. Hopefully I will be QRV in a 2-3 weeks.

Regards

Conrad PA5Y

Hello all, in my haste I bought a BAMAtech dual band feed with an LNA included. I realise now that I should have bought a POTY. Does anyone have any experience of removing the LNB from a BAMAtech DJ7GP dual band feed? Is it easy? I do not have the feed yet it is in the post. In anticipation I got a 24MHz PLL from Dieter DF9NP and so I am tied to using an LNB that requires a 24MHz reference. It would be easiest to remove the LNB from the BAMAtech feed. I assume that the waveguide is merely pushed into the LNB and then some silicone sealant is applied.

I am annoyed with myself for not realising that the BAMAtech feed is not a POTY.

Regards

Conrad PA5Y

I mean 24 MHz because I have 24MHz DF9NP PLL already, the BAMAtech LNB is 24MHz on the DJ7GP feed that is on the way here as we speak. I do not have a 25MHz PLL and don't really want to buy one. I made a mistake with the feed, I should have bought a POTY. Ah well.....

Regards

Conrad PA5Y