Posts by G4SDG

As I understand it the LEILA system ("LEIstungs Limit Anzeige" or Power Limit Indicator) for QO-100 is ground based and will just generate a siren to remind users to decrease their uplink power. That would be similar to the space-based AO-40 system and in those days we didn't have such easy access to spectrum and waterfall displays.

I don't believe that it's operational at the moment, but if it is then it's rather forgiving sometimes.

Chris

I got around to measuring the unit today and mine has around 11dB gain. Saturated output power is 35.3dBm (3.4W). Output did look reasonable at 3W driven by my SG Labs transverter.

Now to work out why my 1980's vintage SSB Electronics transverter is only producing 18dBm which is a bit light to act as a driver.

I've not found any other "cheap" WiFi boosters and will probably just stick with this one, but perhaps bypass the output switch and place the unit at the antenna. I've got two Spectrian modules but have other plans for those!

73 Chris

Hello all,

My EP-AB003 "8W" amplifier works but only has 11.5dB gain as opposed to the claimed 17dB so I get +29.1dBm out for +17.6dBm in. At the moment I don't have more drive available to see if I get more power output for more input. Lack of output power seems to be a common but not universal complaint about these units.

Anyway, I took the lid off and have noticed that there are some suspicious white blobs of what looks like foam on some pins of the device associated with the output combining and also two pins may have a solder bridge:

Is the white stuff just flux residue or were those areas not actually soldered? I assume(!) that the white blobs at the two corners of the device are not actually pins so only the middle left hand side blob is important. I'm going to need to buy a much finer soldering iron, steadier hands and better eyesight if this needs reworking :(

Does anyone know what the device is? I searched on the "2031 1RNT" but couldn't find anything relevant.

73 Chris

According to one internet vendor selling these boards the pin outs are:

1, Temperature output = 10MV/ degree F.

2, PTT = +12V To enable all 3 power FETs.

3, Drain current monitor for Q1. 1 volt out/amp of drain current.

4, Drain current monitor for Q2. 1 volt out/amp of drain current.

5, Ground.

6-10 are no connection.

See also link and link for some further info.

I had my first QO-100 contact using one of these into a 25 turn helical antenna but as I'm not interested in video it's much easier with 2W from my converter straight into a dish.

I didn't bother adjusting the Spectrian bias (I can't remember what the standing current was now) but there's some info here.

Good luck.

73 Chris

Has the telemetry changed recently? Initially using AO40rcv I could decode the page with the message from Bochum and then later from Qatar but now the programme is not locking up at all. Last night I also thought I could hear some intermodulation on the beacon from a strong SSB station.

73 Chris

My 25 turn helix was based on this design (eg http://www.amsat.org/articles/g3ruh/117.html) and uses a square aluminium tube. I should have explained that the 5 turn feed is for single band only, in fact a reworking of my AO40 feed as the original helix had fallen of while “in storage” and I couldn't find suitably thick wire to make a new one. Originally the 15mm tube had been just to the rear to support the reflector and ended flush with it but in the reworked version I used a longer pipe to additionally support the helix. The pipe is not acting as a 10GHz feed.

I suspect that the 5mm tube used for the helix might present too much blockage for a dual band feed and I'm making a patch feed instead with the 22mm feed for 10GHz and a dielectric window from a Rocket LNB.

Thanks for the calculations. Once done I'll make some proper measurements of feeds and the 25 turn helix all using the same power level.

I've used 5mm (3/16" actually) outer diameter copper brake pipe for a 25 turn helix antenna and also a 5 turn feed for my 90 cm off-set dish. I had my first Es'hail 2 contact with the 25 turn helix but had to use a Spectrian amplifier too at about 30W. With the 90 cm dish I can run an SG Labs transverter on its own (probably only 1W) into about 9m of 3/8" Cellflex with about 2dB loss and get a reasonable signal off the satellite. The transverter SWR indicator is green but I've not got around to actually measuring the match.

I've been using a Funcube Pro dongle and SDR-Sharp which seems to limit my visible bandwidth to ~+/-75KHz but when I checked with an analyser I can see sidebands on both beacons at ~+/-250KHz but only the additional sidebands at +/-15KHz on the 11205.5MHz beacon at the moment.

73 Chris G4SDG

Hello all,

I am a bit confused about the polarisation of the two beacons. I set my 1.4m prime focus antenna up a week or so ago and couldn't get a decent polarisation adjustment on the 10706MHz beacon so I used one of the TV muxes instead to achieve an approximate setting. For the last week I've been seeing the 10706MHz beacon with a S/N of about 38dB and the 11200.5MHz beacon with S/N of about 18dB so I assumed I had some cross-pol still. Today however I'm seeing 11200.5MHz with S/N of 38dB the same as the 10706MHz beacon, although today the higher one has modulation at +/-15KHz and the lower one does not. So, are they linear or circular, or is it just a case of spacecraft manoeuvring or power level changes?

73 Chris G4SDG