Posts by SWL - markro92

Hi, there are still many things to improve,

but i've implemented experimental DVB-S2 support and did first tests with the Es'Hail 2 WB Transponder. A screenshot is attached to this post. I think that i'll be able to release another test version for you next weekend. I'll need to optimize the code a bit, throw unused stuff out, and fix the issues many of you have. This version will come with enhanced debug output.

Thanks for your feedback so far and many Greetings :)

Marcel

Hi, what CPU model do you have, Ron? I think it could be SIMD instructions unsupported by your CPU.

You could try running CPU-Z if you are unsure.

https://www.cpuid.com/downloads/cpu-z/cpu-z_1.87-en.zip

Thanks for any info on this, it hasn't crashed on my PC for ages so this is worrying for me :D

Does it crash immediately when you click on connect?

or do you see the FFT plot showing up and it crashes right after it?

Whats' the buffer count on the very bottom of the window?

Thanks!

@IK0EQJ: Try to change the symbol rate, which transponder and satellite is this? Is 300ksym/s correct? If gain and symbol rate settings are correct, you should see a circle inside the constellation plot.

Also watch the 'Buffers' count on the bottom of the window. This tells if your computer is able to keep up, this value should stay low without increasing a lot.

If it does, try lower samplerates.

Hi,

around last Year i've developed a DVB-S Receiver in Software to learn more about Signal Processing and Multithreading/SIMD Optimization. This software is supposed to be the starting point for experimenting and implementing my own DVB-S receiver on a FPGA Board. It has mainly been written for personal use, so it's not very user-friendly.

Maybe this is also interesting for you, because there are many people here with SDR Boards.

I hope that you can give some Feedback and constructive criticism.

This Software does only run on quite modern CPUs with SIMD instruction sets and AVX support. Should be Intel Haswell and above.

There are a few Screenshots attached as a reference how things should look like ^^

MPEG-TS output is localhost, UDP at port 8888.

Tested with RTL-SDR and hackrf. LimeSDR is not tested, maybe it works, maybe not.

DVB-S2 is being experimented with, but there is only DVB-S1 support for now.

Current Version: 2.0.18

Download Link: http://v.1337team.tk/dvb-s_gui_amsat.zip

Quick Guide:

- Center the DVB-S transponder, so that it's in the middle of the FFT plot.

- Change the symbolrate slider so that it's near the actual symbol rate. Using the 'Show FFT after Matched Filtering' checkbox helps.

- Play with the Timing Recovery Loop Gain and Damping Sliders until you can see a circle inside the IQ plot and set appropriate Baseband-Gain Settings without overdriving.

- Enable Carrier recovery (coarse, fine is not usable right now) and play with the loop gain/damping. Higher gain for locking, until you can see a derotated QPSK constellation.

lower gain afterwards with reduced damping works best.

- rotate the constellation, and skip symbols, until you can see the sync counter going up. Don't forget to choose the right FEC Rate before.

Youtube Vids:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    (DVB-S1)

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    (DVB-S2)

Marcel

Hi all :)

Unfortunately, i cant receive the beacon at 10706V.

There is also absolutely nothing at 11205H.

But i'm able to receive the two beacons next to it.

I'm located in the north-west of germany. (North Rhine-Westphalia)

I'm using a 2,2m PFA dish (solid)

I think that i've pointed the dish at the right location, i can receive the 12245V DVB-S2 transponder of 26°E with 12,2dB. (Alkass one/two/three HD)