Posts by G0MJW

Why do you want to do that? The idea is the wanted band is between the two resonances to get good circular polarisation. The response looks fine to me. The highest resonance is at the cut off corners so bending slightly towards the ground plane might work or perhaps a bit of kapton tape.

Mike

Hi Robert,

I don't think that is entirely true. I believe there is an interface to DATV Express that would allow you to set it to TX with some other software. This would mean writing a simple application to make the right calls. However, I can't find the documentation on this but it may be in the BATC forum archives.

There is an alternative to DATV express for generating DATV on a PC using FFMPEG and Gnuradio. Adding Com PTT would be relatively easy. There is also the option for the Pluto of using RTMP.

Mike

If you read the documentation for the DATV Express there is a signal placed on an IO line - you can set it up in the software for one of 4 PTT outputs. This will need an interface (transistor) to switch anything serious and probably isolation is needed - e.g. use a relay or opto-isolator.

With the Lime or Pluto there is no IO line. However, for DATV the carrier is always there so perhaps you can simply detect the RF? This will need sequencing of the PA supply but putting 0 dBm into the PA with it's power off is probably safe.

Mike

In 'other news' A Venton LNB arrived this morning. - Thanks Mike and Heiner. Not spent long looking at it, but how do you remove the dielectric lens?

You need to take a firm grip and pull it off, slightly sideways seems to work. The lens is glued on. You might find it easier if you heat up the metal first to soften the glue. When I demonstrated this at Harwell the LNB owner looked very concerned, then relieved.

Can we change the title to Conjunction and not Equinox? I want to do this on a sunny day so I can see the clearance (or not) of vegetation.

Is there a different calculator? I refuse to visit sites that do this:

I absolutely do not trust anyone who would do this not to be a source of malware.

It would be useful for those without WB mode TX capability, but we could do it on SSB via the NB transponder, just define where you are listening

Great idea - lets call it Zello!

If you are worried about corrosion then I am not sure it will be a whole lot better with Aluminium. Better to seal it to avoid water ingress and run sufficient power to avoid condensation. Brass rod is cheap and readily available. Easy to machine too.

Mike

Any interest in this? Should I make it?

So perhaps I should say what it is for. It is a board to take a 25 MHz TCXO or VCTCXO reference, filter and amplify the reference and triplex it with DC and the IF of the LNB which it is designed to lock to said reference. The IF from the LNB is sent to the SMA connector.

The LNB itself has to be a PLL type and modified to use the 25MHz reference rather than it's own crystal.

I made one of these last year but I mistakenly thought using Connor Windfield D75F was a good idea. That device was useless due to the poor frequency stability of those TCXOs, possibly a bad batch but my trust was lost. However there are many other TCXOs so the board now has footprints for two common types. The prototype worked OK but I have added an extra buffer who's gain can be selected as appropriate depending on the TCXOs output level.

Mike