Posts by G0MJW

You don't need to saw off the LNB. Just drill a hole in the plastic cover and poke the 22mm waveguide tube inside until it buts against the internal horn. This works with the POTY, not sure if it works with the Bamatech but it ought to.

Hi Frans

I anticipated that and the script for ffmpeg includes your encoder. This is the "vcodec hevc_nvenc" part. If you want to do it in OBS you need to select it similarly to me. Software encoding of H265 is hard and for most people, not really practical without hardware assistance of a graphics card. If you are sending H265 and your PC is not on fire, then you are probably already using the hardware encoder.

Mike

Looking at this you have not set up any of the encoding parameters. Read the instructions at http://192.168.1.2 to use RTMP or look at what's written in the DATV forums. It's quite complicated to do this.

for UDP your basic.ini in the OBS profile might contain text that looks something like this:

[AdvOut]

TrackIndex=1

RecType=FFmpeg

RecEncoder=obs_x264

RecTracks=1

FFOutputToFile=false

FFURL=udp://192.168.2.1:8282?pkt_size=1316

FFFormat=mpegts

FFFormatMimeType=video/MP2T

FFExtension=ts

FFVBitrate=350

FFIgnoreCompat=true

FFVEncoderId=173

FFVEncoder=nvenc_hevc

FFAEncoderId=86018

FFAEncoder=aac

FFAudioMixes=1

FFMCustom=max_delay=600 muxrate=7426 mpegts_original_network_id =1 mpegts_transport_stream_id=2 mpegts service_id=1 mpegts_start_pid=300 mpegts_pmt_start_pid=4096 pcr_period=40

FFVCustom=profile=main level=4.0 rc=cbr_hq rc-lookahead=10 surfaces=2

FFVGOPSize=50

FFABitrate=32

FFRescale=false

FFRescaleRes=1280x720

RescaleRes=620x465

RecRescaleRes=1920x1080

Rescale=true

Track1Bitrate=64

ApplyServiceSettings=false

Encoder=jim_nvenc

but really I don't recommend this as it's not so reliable. I prefer to use virtualcam plugin for OBS and do the encoding with a batch file. To do this you need ffmpeg installed on your PC but that opens up a much large range of options to try.

There is a post about that on the BATC forum. You need to install the OBS Virtualcam plugin. I suppose you could just use a webcam with ffmpeg and no OBS. To test perhaps first send to VLC and you might try:

c:\ffmpeg\bin\ffmpeg -f dshow -i video="OBS-Camera" -thread_queue_size 512 -f dshow -i audio="OBS-Audio" -vcodec hevc_nvenc -s 768x432 -r 15 -bf 0 -pix_fmt yuv420p -b:v 40k -preset slow -profile:v main -rc cbr_hq -rc-lookahead 5 -acodec aac -aac_coder twoloop -ar 48000 -ac 1 -b:a 24k -f mpegts -muxrate 170k -streamid 0:256 -streamid 1:257 -max_delay 2000000 -metadata service_provider="PE0F" -metadata service_name="Frans" -y "udp://127.0.0.1:1234?pkt_size=1316"

Which you can receive with VLC in the same way you direct minitioune output to VLC. Once working with VLC set parameters appropriately for your chosen symbol rate and fec and send to the pluto IP address and port. It should receive it. Make sure that force compliant (H265 Box) checkbox is off.

Mike

My pluto has some custom firmware on it, it was preloaded by the seller, It is by some French Station for DATV I think ??

Pre loaded by the seller - so this is a second hand unit with unknown history?

So we probably now know why it doesn't work reliably. You have not correctly configured it via the web interface. When you access the web interface what do you get? please post the whole page. There should be a force compliant check box checked. It seems irrelevant but it's not.

Mike

Trevor, I know it is frustrating but when everyone else has it working and you don't the likelihood is you have it wrong, not everyone else. Don't diss something when it's not necessarily at fault.

Does it work plugged in to USB? If so it is your Ethernet adapter. In that case note that not all adaptors are supported by Pluto. I don't understand why you would take it apart and apply 5V. That seems very risky. You need to make sure it is one of the supported ones according to the analog devices website. . https://wiki.analog.com/univer…otg_host_function_support

Don't assume it is because it looks the same as they can be and often are different. Check it really is what it claims to be.

If the adaptor is not the problem, then also why have you loaded F5OEO DATV firmware if you are not doing DATV? This firmware has many great features but it is not for absolute beginners who don't know what they are doing yet. Settings need to be made to work with SDR Console. That's easy to do via it's web interface, but you need to know what you are doing. Stick to the standard firmware for now.

You say you went to have a QSO and it crashed - what does that mean. Did you activate a PTT somewhere? We know the Pluto is sensitive to PSU changes. Hence the ground mod. If by going to transmit you activated a relay that put a spike on the power line it will crash. Try it not connected to anything apart from the PC. If it works there, then that's your problem.

Has it been modified in any way? If it has it's quite possible it has been broken. The USB power chips are easy to damage.

If all else fails, return it via Digikey/Mouser and get a replacement.

Mike

40 dB sounds pretty good with a 1m dish. Y ou can't expect much more I think without a better lens than the one Passion Radio supply. If you can't bear to break apart a Rocket LNB for its lens that the best seems to be the Rexolite version from HB9PZK. The the 3D printed one from HB9VQQ is not far behind. These are a dB or so better than the lens you have.

It's very important the lens is at the focus and with some dishes you need to make mechanical adjustments to achieve this due to the larger size of the 2.4GHz feed.

Mike

That looks good. You are right it is critical on tuning, this is 2.4 GHz after all and it doesn't take much movement to make a difference. It really helps to be able to see what you are doing, hence the smith chart. You are aiming to get that little loop in the centre

Look at it with a smith chart. Ideally follow the instructions in our original article.

Oh yes - and use a more sensible scan width - say 2.3-2.5GHz as otherwise the smith chart will be too messy on the screen. This should give you a much better idea of what adjustments are doing. Don't aim for a very good return loss, 20dB max or you will not be operating with the correct resonances.

Be careful ordering just now - the current N-type units are the same hardware as the SMA. Nothing wrong with that. I was tempted but I own a good set of SMA to N adaptors which amounts to the same thing. I would like a larger screen though and a metal case. Hoping these will be available soon on their own as an upgrade kit.

I think at some point soon there will be a new version designed specifically for the 4" display, or maybe bigger, with SMA or N in a metal case. It might therefore be worth waiting a bit. There is also a 6 GHz version being developed and work to improve the receive port matching. Then you wait a bit longer. What to do with a now redundant Nanovna V1.

It's really quite remarkable what's been achieved here, it's not up to professional standards, those VNAs cost thousands, but it's more than good enough for most amateur purposes.

Mike

Thanks Mike I have ordered one of these from Amazon, It looks way to complicated for me as I have no idea how to read a smith chart but I will have a look at some tutorials on YouTube and see what I can do with it, My Normal Analyser only covers to 230mhz so this will be handy to have for 70 and 23cms as well,

Trevor

EI2GLB

You don't have to use the smith chart - though good to learn. It will do all the usual plots. It is important to properly calibrate to get the best results.

Mike

:thumbup:   :thumbup:    :thumbup:

I am completely agree with your opinion for 333ksym DVB-S2 and 100% support this idea and all the people who share this idea !!!

But we all know that there are still many pensioner among us who want absolutely nothing to do with a computer, they just want to TX a switch to ON, turn ON the camera and send !!

Translated by google.

This is exactly what Portsdown is. A transmitter without computer features. It is based on a PI of course but can order an SD card image. All controlled from a touch screen. G8GKQ and his team have developed an incredibly flexible system anyone can use.

Mike