Posts by ON4CJQ

Hello Jan,

I have a modified octagon on my dualband feed too, but never leave it powered on. No problems when powering on, in less then 2min all is stable here. Even in weekends, i just switch the power on for the complete station when i want to work the sat. Good luck and welcome to the transponder.

73's, Jerry

Logging sat-qso's: Use TX freq instead of RX-freq. An SWL uses the RX freq for logging.

So band is S/X and not X/S and on LoTW QO-100 and not QO100 as satellite, mode SSB or..., propagation SAT.

When confirmation is poor, there could be a few reasons: wrong parameters used by 1 or both stations when uploading; not much OM's are using LoTW

73's Jerry

I fully agree to work in split when DX is on the sat, because some stupid ham's still love to use too much power to get over the pile-up. In split, also weak stations have a bigger chance to work the dx, and as DL5RDI mentioned, you allways hear the DX station talking.

What is, in my opinion, the benefit of working full duplex? There is no need to here yourself. Just working simplex here and never had any problems, no need to hear my own voice. Worked also in split with the FT817, 2m as IF TX band, 70cm as RX. Just check only once the freq offset between up and dwnlink, allways right afterwards.

It's irritating that people still need to tune on the right freq, giving an echo on their modulation when they go on air because in the background some sdr-stuff's volume is too high.

73's,Jerry

I received the downconverter (completely build in box) without any problems, no taxes etc. I think it is just the way how the package is sent to you, meaning what is written on the paper on the package; and the price of the goods. Best is to ask him first and tell him that there could be a problem with taxes etc in your country.

73's

Jerry

Hmm

Not the first time i sent some personal emails to operators who were having a signal which was too strong, 6-12dB above PSK bcn.

Some do understand, others just blew away the comments.

Let's make a public list with stations who do have such stronger signals then the beacons.

Especially when a new dxcc is in the air, a lot of stupid op's use suddenly too much power to be the strongest in a pile-up.

Why why why? Just follow the rules and enjoy the sat, even in a pile-up.

Hear you all,

73's de Jerry

Hello David, i did it another way, but i've cut the horn where it has +- the diameter of the inner size from the copper tube, i think 4mm is left from the lnb, just enough to punch it into the pipe. Then i used an adapter with inner dia 22mm,outer 25mm which sleeves over the copper tube and the waveguide from my feed.NOTHING is screwed and fits nicely,doesn't move anything.

73's Jerry

Guntram, are you in the focuspoint of the dish? Try to move the feed towards the dish,or away from it and look on the websdr for your uplink sig, for rx side use sdr stick+ program to see the difference.

I have a patch for the uplink in a 60cm dish with f/D 0.4, and works FB for uplink, another same dish i also have here with a ve4ma waveguide feed for rx,but this feed has choke ring to meet the dish better.

I can compare the 60cm with patch and my 95cm offset with dualbandfeed tomrrow if you like. 60cm should be less strong, in order +-2.5dB

73's Jerry

Hi Frank, 2db lower then the beacon with 5w onto a 31cm dish is very very high, are you sure about the uplink power? Such a small dish has 27db on the dwnlink, a 85cm about 10db more. So most of us has about 2dB less than beacon with 4-5w on 85cm!

I even heard someone today with 2W in a 85cm dish and was 6dB stronger then the upper beacon.Impossible so much differences,in the understanding that all is correct mounted,though.

73's

Jerry

Hello sat-friends

I use VQlog since years, FB software for sat qso's. I log on LoTW, EQSL and Clublog, but especially at EQSL i reject a lot of qsl's because people log a sat qso as a simple SSB/CW/... qso, and that is NOT the same. You need to log as SAT qso,

About using remote controlled stations...everyone wants antennes on top off a hill to get most out of the station especially on higher frequencies. In my eyes, a qso should be made from the same location(rx/tx), using remote stations is just fooling yourself but that's peoples own choice.

I just use web-sdr for testing my own stations, and if i can't hear a station with my setup then it's a pitty so i know i have to improve.

About DXCC on QO-100, some countries don't have access on 13cm, but how do we have to know this? Is there a list available? Making qso's with illegal stations is a waste of time.

73's Jerry

You can receive the beacon with only an lnb, this way you can find the direction of the sat, and fine tune the dish afterwards. I don't use compass for searching mostly, just elevate the dish at 26° and turn around between E and S. Easy to find it.

73's Jerry

OK, strange, I have good results with these converters. Measured the output voltage 'unloaded' first (check!) , connected my amplifier (check!), it worked (and still works!) flawlessly and could discard my seperate 28V power supply.

Ok Remco, the output-elco's on mine are rated 35V 1nF, also on yours?

Maybe i just have 2 bad ones,hi.

Heiner, tnx for info, but i do it this way for easy use on 12v when using /p, and i need only 3A on 28v; 24V is a little too less.

73's Jerry

I bought two of these (2.30 U$ each incl. shipping).

I bought 2 of these like Remco, and on each of them without load, (only 14.1V input) 1 off the 2 elco's on the output were blown, which results in a 5cm hole in the plastic case cover. How could that happen? The same elco on each board. Gonna try to find out what the problem is first. It was for driving the amplifier in my PE1CMO box.

73's Jerry