Posts by G4SAQ

Hi Piero, Please disregard my last request. Evariste has just replied to my posting on groups.io. My mistake was to click on the html file inside the Pluto package instead of using my browser to enter the URL. Easy when you know how!!

I am now able to Tx with H265 - across my shack anyway.

Thank you again.

73, Russ

Hi Piero, Thank you very much for this! It seems that recording is working. However, I cannot get the Pluto controller page to work. I need to enter my callsign, frequency, symbol rate etc. When I press 'Apply Settings' nothing happens. If I click on 'Save to Flash' and reboot the Pluto, nothing has been saved. I expect I have missed something! Please can you help with that? 73 Russ

I would like to use OBS to encode H265 video to stream to my Pluto. I have read the many helpful posts on this forum but my lack of technical knowledge means that I am unable to fully comprehend all aspects.

My computer has an i5 10th generation processor and a GTX1560 Super GPU card (which is eminently capable of encoding H256). I am using the latest OBS 26.0.2 (NB this now incorporates Virtual Camera).

My Pluto, rev B, is loaded with Evariste's wonderful Beta for the Brave firmware.

I have followed Evariste's instructions and managed to get the Pluto transmitting using the OBS x264 encoder setting. I then changed the OBS encoder setting to "Nvidia NVENC H.264 (new)" and again this worked.

However, the OBS encoder settings do not give the option for H.265, which I want.

It seems that the Forum provides two work- arounds. One is from Robert, DD4YR, who suggests using the 'Recording' option to send a UDP stream instead of an RMTP stream. The advantage of this is that the OBS 'Recording' settings will facilitate H265 encoding. Unfortunately I cannot read the entries on Robert's screen shot. - Please could you send them in larger format, Robert?

Te other option is from Mike, G0MJW, who advocates the creation of an ini file for OBS. Mike, I am not clear whther this would be a new ini file or the modification of an existing ini file - there are so many of them!

As an aside, I have sent a request to OBS for the inclusion of H.265 in the settings.

73, Russ.

dg0opk That's very helpful Michael - thanks. My experience (August 2019) is that Digikey are supplying the D75F (25MHz and 27MHz) with date codes 2018 and onwards. So, that supplier seems to be ok now. 73, Russ.

I have just found the latest data sheet (1st August 2019). This confirms the code as YYWW. I should have looked for this before posting the above! Hope this helps.

73, Russ

Regarding the Connor Winfield date codes: I have just taken delivery, from Digikey, of a D75F 27MHz which has code 1915 and a D75F 25Mhz which has code 1827.

So, the first one could be either year/week or week/year. The second one can only be year/week. When you compare these codes with those on David's devices, there is no consistency (David's replacement was 26/19). Very confusing!

Russ.

HB9SKA Hi Thomas. I can only speak about the Octagon Quad LNB Green which I have. Before modification, It drifted quite a bit for the first 15 minutes or so and then became manageable - only slight re-tuning required then. I suspect that the dual output version (for which I sent the link) will be the same as it also has a 25MHz Xtal. None of them are going to be rock stable on their own but these are acceptable. 73 Russ.

HB9SKA Hi Thomas. I think the Octagon OTLSO has been discontinued. I bought one about two years ago and I can confirm it has PLL technology and a 27MHz Xtal. I have also tried the 'Octagon Quad LNB Green' which has a 25MHz Xtal. I see that a two output version is being advertised cheap on Ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oct…136100:g:gAMAAOSw6lpch~rp

I have found that the PLL Octagons need 15 minutes or so to warm up and then the drift is acceptable for SSB. However, I have modified mine to accept an external reference to keep it really on frequency. I hope this helps you. 73 Russ.

PA3FYM A bit more on the Si5351a. I had been using some code I found on the web to program the registers in the Si5351a. At 27MHz the output looked very clean (and that is what I reported earlier). However, when I generated 25MHz the output was awful. Then I used Silabs 'ClockBuilder' Windows program to produce a register map for 25MHz and the result was clean!

I tried injecting this into my Quad Octagon (25MHz) and the QO-100 CW beacon sounded good (no raspyness). Then I tried 23.817,949MHz to put the bottom of the transponder on 1,200,550MHz. Again the CW beacon was clean. I am guessing that there is more than one way to produce a frequency from the Si5351a but only the 'ClockBuilder' method gives a clean output. Having said all this, I could not receive DATV on my Minitiouner with the Si5351a input. Probably the phase noise was the problem. I have ordered a sample Si5332E to have a play with (much newer device). 73 Russ.

PA3FYM I don't have a definitive answer to that. However, i suspect that the noise comes from the micro's clock and that that a tiny amount of this gets onto the I2C connection. Putting the micro to sleep turns the clock off. I hope to modify my quad Octagon (25MHz) tomorrow. Then I will inject it with the si5351a output and see what the NB transponder beacon looks like on my SDR. 73 Russ

Yes, congratulations indeed! What an achievement. Very many thanks to His Excellency A71AU and to Peter, DB2OS, for whom this is a dream come true! (not forgetting numerous others. of course)

73, Russ.

Dear Peter (DB2OS), I wonder if the inauguration ceremony will be broadcast on the WB transponder? Are you able to give any indication of the timing (in GMT) and video parameters, please?

73 Russ.

My technical knowledge is shallow compared to most of you so I make this suggestion with care! I use a PIC micro to control my si5351a over the I2C connection. I have found that the output at 27MHz - as seen on my SDR - is very noisy. However, putting the PIC to sleep after a command has been sent seems to result in a clean output. I hope this helps. 73 Russ

Yes, I agree with you. In itself that may be manageable. I guess we will find out. However, I have tried to speak on a local club top band net whilst listening on our web sdr (high local noise) and I just cannot get my brain to function! I was just curious in case anyone knows (and is allowed to say) whether the transponder is sdr based. Exciting times ahead!

I have been thinking about the problem of digital latency in my receiving equipment as this will make it hard to listen to one's own signal. However, it has occurred to me that there may also be in-built latency in the satellite transponder, which we can do nothing about. Please can anyone throw any light on this matter?