Posts by SM0NCL

Start with simplest approach, try it out and then improve if in need. Any LNB brand of "digital TV" marked LNBs should have a PLL and a XO.
    When getting started with SSB & CW, I do not see the absolute need for a GPS or TCXO governed LNB as long as you allow the LNB to warm up and if you know how to make minor and slow frequency adjustments ;) in your LNB IF receiver.
    My station has just this, PLL XO LNB and TCXO LO in TX converter - and SSB & CW is really easy once warmed-up. Some tuning is needed but at a really slow pace so it does not really impact SSB/CW traffic much.

I purchased the Telesystem TS100F , use it without any modification but allow it for warm-up 30minutes. It also uses the 25MHz XO and PLL and simple filtering, about 65dB conversion gain.

In picture: right PBC is TS100F, left PCB is Goobay LNB also 25MHz XO and PLL.

Being up north, also used a skiing-glove and plastic bag to make LNB less prone to temp.changes - almost no attenuation with glove and bag.

http://www.telesystem-world.co…lnb-single-universal.html

I did try to add capton tape on the filters, hoping for IF gain to increase below 700MHz, Not sure if it worked yet.

Test station in JO99 North Europe / Scandinavia

RX:
    80cm dish and COTS LNB Telesystem TS100F unmodified LNB and SDR RTL USB TCXO and Sharp SW
    Not optimal LNB but good enough for weaker EU stations also
    LNB drifts a lot initially, but LNB has extra insulatation (a skiing glove) and after 1hour the drift is fine for CW/SSB without difficulites.

TX:
    120W ERP to a Big Dish enabled CW QSO with 2 - 4dB S/N on the AMSAT UK QO-100 WebSDR -weak but QSO was possible.
    Homebuild/modified surplus; exciter is TCXO xtal based 2256MHz LO, 144MHz IF, mixer 2400Mhz output 1.8mW and a 100mW MMIC amplifier to antenna system

Tests are concluded, without that 4-5m dish it is not fun, SM need more power to the antenna system. 100mW is so bad for smaller dish usage.

Sweden
    2.4GHz Highest power to the antenna system: 100mW PEP

2.3GHz 1kW time limited permit

From tests on QO-100 in JO99

With 0.1W and 75cm dish (10W ERP), it is not feasible to see or hear your own signal in BATC/AMSAT-UK 10 GHz Narrowband WebSDR

With 0.1W and much bigger dish providing ~120W ERP it is possible to make weak lines in the waterfall on the BATC/AMSAT-UK 10 GHz Narrowband WebSDR and also make CW and digital QSO

Maybe with an 13cm RX EME capable station SSB also feasible with such small ERP station