Posts by df2et

Dear OMs,

walking around the flea market on HamRadio in Friedrichshafen we ( DG3YJB  DL5APR  G4KLX  DL1YDD with DL5BQ and G6WBJ) found some guy selling a 40cm dish for 8€. After we bought all of those we had a quick experiment at our holiday flat that we were staying in during the fair.

After wiring up the commonly used setup (LNB -> BiasT -> SDR Stick) we could cleary decode the CW beacon and even listen to SSB QSOs. May those pics inspire people with limited capabilities to setup a QO-100 station ;)

vy73 de Florian DF2ET

DD0KP

Absolutely no problem. Just wanted you to have that on the list for next year. If it's on there already I am fine.

Besides this minor issue I found the meeting to be very useful and I would appreciate if we manage to have a similar meeting next year. Thank you for organisation.

vy73 de Florian DF2ET

Hi Johannes,

I did have a talk to the Kuhne guys at HamRadio in Friedrichshafen and asked for the details of the reference input of the modified MKU 2424 A converter. They referred me to the manual for the recent B version where you can read as attached in the image. See below. It also applies to the factory-upgradede MKU2424 A.

vy73 de Florian DF2ET

2. The prices on the dinner menu were much higher than shown in the standard menu. I think approximately 20% more. I know that restaurants have a service charge for big groups, but that does seem excessive.

I can confirm that. At least item No 2 from the menu was 25% more of the price at it was on the ordinary menu. :(((

Besides that the food was fine and the talks and the meeting itself were very good!

Hi @ll,

I also got my repaired/upgraded KMU UP 2424 A back a few days ago. But I am still missing the updated manual concerning the REF input. In the meantime I upgraded the case and added a SMA/UFL pigtail.

Did anybody test with an external reference yet?

vy73 de Florian DF2ET

Hi @ll,

besides all rumours that it would not work we tried to decode the DATV bacon on the WB transponder with a "standard" satellite receiver and tested successfully. Downlink via 90cm offset dish, an Octagon Greed Quad LNB modified by me for external reference and a Dreambox DM8000.

The LNB was fed with 24.3MHz from a LeoBodnar GPSDO to shift the IF of the WB transponder to the input of the SAT RX. Using a manual scan we found A71A and could watch the demo on a flat screen. A short recording is uploaded to YT:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

vy73 de Florian DF2ET

Tag zusammen,

in Anlehnung an die vom BATC beschriebene Modifikation des Quad LNB OQSLG von Octagon habe ich eine SMD Variante der Modifikation mit Teilen aus der Restekiste durchgeführt. Im Wesentlichen handelt es sich um die Entfernung des 25MHz Quarzes für die PLL und stattdessen Einspeisung einer externen GPSDO Referenz. Dafür wir der hinterste der F-Ausgänge zu einem Eingang umfunktioniert. Der DC-Zweig wird entfernt und stattdessen der Mittelpin über 2x 10nF auf den Quarzeingang gelegt. Tests bei DL0CRE zeigen, dass das LNB deutlich! frequenzstabiler ist. Die 25MHz wurden dabei über einen LeoBodnar GPSDO erzeugt.

An den Stellen mit den gelben Kreuzen werden die Leiterbahnen aufgetrennt. An der Stelle 1 habe ich einen 0402 0R Widerstand eingebaut. Bei 2 (0402) und 4 (0805) kommt jeweils ein 10nF Kondensator rein. Bei 3 habe ich einen 1206 100R Widerstand eingelötet, weil kein kleinerer verfügbar war. Nach Modifikation sieht das ganze so aus:

Das Original mit bedrahteten Bauteilen findet sich unter: https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Es'hail-2_LNBs_and_Antennaes#Locking_the_Quad_Octagon_LNB_to_a_25_MHz_Reference

Wichtig hier ist, dass man tatsächlich die PLL Variante des LNBs erwischt. Es gibt unter der gleichen Bezeichung auf DRO Typen, die hierfür nicht brauchbar sind. Quick and Dirty Guide zur Unterscheidung: https://twitter.com/flo_0_/status/1099651890462294021

vy73 de Florian DF2ET