Posts by dm4im

Hi there.

Yes, you need to EJECT the Pluto, like you eject a usb-stick mass storage , NOT DISCONNECT it from USB. After you did that once, your settings are permanent, even after reboot (= disconnect usb , then reconnect).

73, Martin

GM,

do you say you set up your 9700 for working with satellites, e.g. set TX to 432,200, set RX to 144.700 , interlock the VFO's so RX follows TX (and vice versa), then connect your 9700 to OmniRig and OmniRig messes this up? There are 3 .ini-Files for the 9700, one is named Ic9700-sat.ini . Use this.

Disclaimer: I have no IC-9700.

73, Martin

Maybe the BPF is too big a load for the internal oscillator, it prevents it from operating. I use a similar method to feed external 116MHz into my 2m transverter via a Resistor and a Cap. I leave the internal oscilator in place while i feed from external source, but the internal oscillator stops working when i do this. It resumes work when i unsolder the C and R combination.

73, Martin

Well, if they just qsy up 1 khz, the beacon will still be heard by qo-100, but in the clear. You can always check if the beacon is operational, even if your rx on 13cm is crappy or if you are out of range ;) .

Now it is of interest what power and antenna they use. Maybe we hear a sidelobe.

The goonhilly websdr seems to have a strong carrier exactly on the upper beacon higher tone, thus can not resolve SK0EN/B . IS0GRB can.

73, Martin

Hello,

IIRC there are some lnb's with 2 tcxo's and 2 pll circuits onboard. Can anyone confirm this? Or was there 1 TCXO, but 2 PLL circuits. If the first applies, remove one tcxo for the use of NB Transponder and inject external 25MHz. Keep the other one installed for the DATV-Transponder.

73, Martin

Maybe some mixing?

I looked up info the moment i got the call right , but found their website stating "Not qrv yet". There is no info about the website admin or any mail address. Maybe the forum members from SM with contact to the beacon owner can shed a light on this.

I noticed a carrier buried under the higher tone of the upper beacon. Only audible when the tone pauses . After listening for a while it turned into morse and i noticed it was keying SK0EN/B JO99JX. :huh:

73, Martin

Well, there's the rub:

There is no wired ptt.

It's appreciated the manufacturer intented to make it easy to use, but this in turn creates a problem by not providing wired ptt.

The AMP HAS wired ptt and VOX, but the upconverter has no ptt in or out.

You need 100mW to trigger VOX. I'm pretty sure, with 100mW INput the Output on 13cm is more than 100mW. The amp max. drive is 80mW.

Thus , if you use it according to the manual, your options are:

Clean, but stuttering signal. The upconverter stutters because input level is low.

Clean but stuttering signal, because upconverter AND amp stutter, same as above.

Distorted signal without stutter, because you provide enough input power.

No signal at all, because you can not trigger VOX from a too low input level.

There may be a small power range where all is ok. But again, it is not clarified in the manual. Oh, i know , you must insert an attenuator between upconverter and amp. This is not stated in the manual, either. Just put everything together, you will be fine. NOT!

Look at the transponder. If I'd place bets which signals are coming from this brand, i'd win more often than loose.

Yes, i know, there are dirty signals coming from other brands, too. Some users care, some do not, others just don't know because nobody tells them so.

73, Martin

Absolutely right. Unfortunately the manaul does not refer to what this pot does, thus many owners never touch it.

Correct me if i'm wrong: I think it sets the level of input power that is passed to the 4 resistors next to it. These convert excess input into heat. So while it may be true that 6 Watts is the absolute maximum, it is not necessary to waste power. It will only heat up the converter. The manual says the VOX circuit will trigger from about 100mW, so i believe anything between 200mW (to safely trigger VOX) and 1W of drive should be more than enough.

The output is 200mW max. , so you need a big dish (>150cm dia. for a decent signal) or an amp.

The DX-Patrol amp's drive is rated 70-80mW for full output, so you will not get around fumbling with that pot.

73, Martin

Edit: i believe anything between 100mW and 200mW of drive should be just fine.

do you control output power by reducing the input IF power...?

Yes. Many people use way too much input power. This is immediately visible as spurs on the transponder, so an attenuator 3-20dB or 10-40m lossy coax depending on how low an output you can set your transmitter help a lot. 200mW output equals 23dBm. You will need a big dish or an amp.

73, Martin

Rüdiger,

i tried this too, no joy.

Obviously the software checks for availability of the USB-connections upon start . If only for example TS1 is connected and marked as MASTER in minitiouneConfig.ini , the program will run without problems. With the program running, when you edit minitiouneConfig.ini , set TS2 as MASTER and start a second instance, the new instance will again check for availability of the usb connections , find TS1 occupied and quits.

73, Martin

Find an abandoned dish, any will do . 60cm is just right.

The picture shows one of my first attempts with a dish i got from the junkyard. It even worked behind the colsed balcony door.

If all this is not your cup of tea, you still can listen to QO-100 via WebSDR and only use the transmit capabilities of your DJ7GP antenna.

In a later step, you add the receive capabilities once you got your downconverter.

73, Martin

Hi,

well, you can remove the lnb from the DJ7GP antenna and replace it with your bullseye lnb. To do this, remove the plastic enclosure from the bullseye lnb and cut/saw off the feedhorn.

Make sure no chips fall into the lnb through the holes for the 2 antennas .

If you have a dish for broadcast tv , you may want to use the bullseye lnb offset like this:

My first attempts to receive the bird was with an unmodified lnb. I just drilled a hole in the plastic cap protecting the feed horn and stuck it onto the tube of the patch antenna.

Like this:

Hi Fazlay,

5. Improving stability - making a GPSDO with OCXO

Here is a link how to do it. It is in german, but i'm sure there are projects in english language to be found.

Simple GPSDO by DL4ZAO and DL7UKM

A gps receiver provides a precise 1kHz/10kHz/ or 100kHz clock . The 10MHz from the ocxo is divided by factor 10000/1000/ or 100 to one of these frequencies . A comparator circuit provides a control voltage for the ocxo to adjust it's frequency.. When clock and divided frequency match, the control voltage is right and the OCXO is spot on frequency.

The Arduino is there to tell the gps-receiver what clock is needed and takes care of the display (time, locator, whatever).

6. Making a 25MHz clock from the GPSDO/OCXO using si5351 and a bandpass filter.

Done that. It works.

73, Martin

Hi,

you might consider feeding the 25MHz over the coax to the lnb, preferably from your shack. A tcxo built in the lnb will drift with temperature changes. Thus it is smart to have the tcxo in a place with minor temp changes. Furthermore, this leaves room for later improvement, like making the tcxo adjustable or feeding an odd frequency derived from the tcxo.

73, Martin