Posts by dm4im

Geert,

this happens when you close all receivers prior to shutting down SC (sdr console). If you shut it down with a receiver in USB mode still running, it will start with the last frequency, mode etc. when you hit the "Start" icon.

IIRC you can set a checkmark "automatically run the last receiver when SC loads, no need to hit START" somewhere in the guts of SC. BUT if there was no last receiver when you shut down SC, it can't come up with one.

So maybe you just need to loose the habit of stopping all receivers before leaving SC.

Does that help?

73, Martin

EA2ARU Please more info. Is it Windows or Linux?

The beauty of running this under Linux is: There is no virtual audio cable.

See the picture , it is gqrx and hsmodem running on a ubuntu ( Lubuntu , that is). The audio device gqrx delivers audio to is the soundcard, the capture device for hsmodem is MONITOR output of the soundcard. 73, Martin

EA2ARU There is no Trick. Connect the input of your soundcard to IC9700

ACC1 , Pin 2 (GND) Pin 5 (Signal).

OR to Speaker out (not recommended, but will work)

OR to headphone out (not recommended, but will work)

Goto hsmodem SETUP, set RX to your soundcard input. Tune your IC9700 RX-frequency until you see the constellation like in post #59 . Follow the instructions in post #59.

Also, carefully read instructions in your manual about the speaker configuration in chapter [EXT-SP MAIN / EXT-SP SUB] if you connect to your speaker output.

EDIT: Additionally, check the manual provided by Amsat (see next post) if you want to use USB SOUND features for RX and TX with ICOM Transceivers.

73, Martin

PA1EJO Set "exclusive mode" for your virtual audio cables first.

Then always start hsmodem before you start sdr-console. That should do the trick. Works with VB-audio cable here (others say, vb-audio cable doesn't work at all, maybe this is the workaround ).

Hi Ernst,

Go to "SETUP", select the audio device carrying RX audio (VAC in your case).

Bring the volume up to about the level shown in the picture below.

Tune your rx to make the signal fill the "Tuning Window", with the leftmost peak centered in the "Ref" column. The circle should show a constellation like in the picture.

Go to "File", wait for the button " Open received HTML file" to show up. Click on it and have your browser display incomming data.

73, Martin

I will try to implement in gnuradio self audio cancellation, in order not to hear your own voice.

Now THAT is what you're after... What a 8) idea. You had my attention before , but now i'm really thrilled.

You buffer TX audio for the roundtrip time and have a DSP process RX audio . Just substract the buffered TX audio from RX audio. As simple as that.... :whistling:

So all my blah blah about analog radios will work best is for the birds, :) .

73, Martin

So station A constantly RX (Freq A-20khz) and TXs (FREQ. A) on a split frequency (constantly)
    and station B does the same inverse split and also RX (FREQ A) and Tx's (FREQ A-20KHz) at the same time. (constantly)

That is not what we did, we both operated on a single "channel". Sure, split operation like you propose simplifies everything, but you are right, each qso will take twice the bandwidth.

Martin

Let me chime in.

I'd not call it a new mode, i'd rather call it a technique and we do it all the time when we use our telephones.

Me and George had a qso on a single passband of abt. 2.7kHz, no split or offset. We adjusted our transmitters so we were roughly the same level. George interrupted me and I interrupted him when we had a question or needed clarification.

QSK?

Because we were same level and had only the delay of the roundtrip time, interrupts were heard nearly instantly and the talker could pause for a moment to listen to his counterpart , then resume speak, completing his thoughts and reply to the insertion. We are used to listen ( uh... :/ well.. many of us ;) ) until a transmission is finished, so it feels a bit odd to say "yes" , "right" or "say that again" while it's not your turn. But after a while it feels natural and gives the conversation a flow. It will be interresting to see how many people can attend such a qso at once whithout chaos.

No time for crocodiles.

73, Martin

Many years ago we had a relay running abt. 30km from my qth. Uplink was a 3khz wide "channel" on 2m SSB and downlink was regular 70cm analog FM. Fullduplex conversations were possible as long as you used a carrierless mode on the uplink , like ssb or cw. Two or more users could transmit simultaneously without interference other than what you would see when two or more people in one room talk at the same time. It was a lot of fun as long as none of the participants was significantly louder than the others. But here is the rub. Some stations do not run duplex gear - aka DXP groundstation - , others turn down rx volume while they transmit (for a good reason, you hear the feedback if they don't) and some sdr users expirience huge audio delays when their computers are slow or when they listen to web-sdr. We see that many times on qo-100, when stations talk over each other without noticing for some seconds. For a conversation like George has in mind, fully analog stations will work best. So go ahead , ask your qso-partner if he/she is capable of or wants to run a duplex conversation. I don't think Amsat-DL will establish a special range for duplex-qso's on the satellite. Or will they?

73, Martin

Please tell us your lnb's brands, models and wether modified or not. Also the modification method.

Since the unmodified lnb works as it should and given the power supply for the modified lnbs does not break down, it's likely the modification.

Did you modify yourself or did you buy modified? If the latter, have the vendor(s) / modifier(s) check the modified lnb(s).

Martin

Guy,

did you read the Manual provided by ON4IQ http://www.dxpatrol.pt/files/QO100GS_v20.pdf

This is a good starting point. The manual says the drive level is set for 250mW input, so it sure is safer not to go above this level.

Do you have a powermeter for 432MHz to verify power?

When you transmit, do you see an increase of current consumed by the groundstation and how much? Can you check for 28V to the amp?

Can you transmit into a dummy load, even if it is not made for 2.4GHz, to see output power from the power amp?

Guy,

please provide more info (pictures, diagrams etc of your setup).

Are you sure your 705 transmits on the correct frequency ( e.g. no repeater offset, RIT, XIT etc.) . How much power is 15% ? Can you measure that and verify, there is power on 432MHz? Can you measure power on 2.4GHz? What swr do you measure? Swr between 705 and upconverter or swr of the antenna system?

....the power setting only ever goes between 0.2 and 1.0 while talking.

What does this mean?

Can you transmit cw and still no trace on goonhilly?

73, Martin

Ok, the network settings where f****d up, now corrected.

root@gbquad:~/logs# ping eshail.batc.org.uk

PING eshail.batc.org.uk (185.83.169.27): 56 data bytes

64 bytes from 185.83.169.27: seq=0 ttl=56 time=49.304 ms

This network issue seems to be solved

The crash is different now: