Posts by EA4LE

Hi Geri,

Thanks so much for posting this! a great solution for those of us working with a SDR in tx.

I tested it on two computers, the first with a native serial RS232 hardware com port and it works fine. However in a newer PC with no RS232 port and using a USB to COM converter the time latency is high and cannot key faster than 5 wpm with a straight key.

In any case a great solution!

Hi Adrian,

thanks so much for taking the time and the effort to enlighten me. Microwaves are uncharted waters to me, esp when it comes to amplifiers like this.

I see now the rationale and this makes sense. Thanks also for pointing to the others doing similar mods, very useful! Back to the soldering iron and the tests now!

Yours most grateful,

Toni, EA4LE

Hi Adrian, what is the rationale for the mod that results in having the same bias power in the two devices? does this mod make a great difference in performance? I am really impressed with the output power you get from your units! what is the input power you are using to get 80W out?

To date I have been using a homebrew QFH with good results, extra on overhead passes, see attached pics

So far, my experience with homebrew turnstyles is not that good, perhaps due to poor construction technique on my side. I recently got a Wimo turnstyle as I moved the QFH to another location (vacation QTH). I am looking forward to seeing how it performs in the same location where the QFH what as soon as the weather improves. Unfortunately I can not take it as far from the house as Robert's:(

I have made a video that shows my PA driven with 800 mW and producing 19W output. The power supply is 28 V DC and current abt 2.5 A

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

The mods are bypassing the input isolator and the output circulator.

I also have driven the PA with 2 W from a SG-Labs transverter and the output is 22 W with 3.6 A current @ 28V DC.

Best 73

I can receive the beacon with the V8 Finder using different antennas, from 80 cm to 1,9 m, and different LNB 's: unmodified and GPSDO modified.

A blind scan discovers the A71A transmission.

It is also possible to receive the SR1000 transmissions, unfortunately no lower symbol rate.

Here is a video I posted on Youtube a couple of weeks ago.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I am currently using the v8 Finder to point antennas to Es'hail2 with the A71A signal. For fine tuning of the antenna pointing and LNB rotation for DATV reception I use the Minitiouner with its comprehensive set of monitoring data.

Best 73 de Antonio, EA4LE

p.s. in my experience for DATV and RB-TV the best performing LNBs are those "free riding" (i.e. not disciplined) and those who produce a clear musical tone on the CW NB beacon (probably those with no jitter or phase noise)

A temporary approval for the use of the 2400,050-2409,500 MHz segment of the 13cm band for Es’Hail 2 (QO-100) up-linking has been granted by the Spanish Authorities to radio amateurs with a valid license. With this approval no special permits (complex and time consuming) will be required.

This is great news and a great advancement for those of us in wait!

Thanks to AMSAT-EA and URE (the Spanish Radioamateurs Union) for the negotiations that have resulted in this temporary approval!

Cheers,

Antonio, EA4LE

:thumbup: