Posts by G0TKZ

Hallo !

I have a query about DX-Patrol Upconverter, incase any operator here has the answer..! ;)

I need to understand, on the product info / handbook it states that output power is 200mW @23dBm, is this a fixed value - can this be controlled or reduced...? do you control output power by reducing the input IF power...?

Vielen Dank !

RH - G0TKZ

I have recently (accidentally !) re-aligned by antenna for QO-100. I have an 85cm dish with Bullseye LNB.

I am currently receiving the upper & lower CW beacons around +33db above the noise floor - which for my station is the best i have seen.

I'd be interested to know from other operators what signal levels they are seeing for the CW beacons, relative to the size of their antenna...?

Vielen Dank !

G0TKZ

Hallo !

I am buying a Bird 43 Wattmeter - does anyone know if there is also a Plug-in module for this meter that supports 2400MHz..?

From what i have seen online - it should support with plug-ins up to 3000MHz - but i cant seem to find any plug-ins

above 2000MHz...?

Any advice of info - gratefully received !

73 - G0TKZ

Hi Guys,

Now i have a working RX system for QO-100, I am now concentrating on building the up-link.

I have the DJ7GP dual patch LNB - and am now considering the up-converter / PA

I see from SG-Labs they have 13cm Transverter - with 70cm input & 13cm output @ 2 Watts

Do you think 2W output power with 80cm dish will be sufficient for a good up-link signal on the NB transponder...?
    or do I need to invest in up-converter + PA for a good signal on NB transponder...?

Many thanks | Vielen Dank !

G0TKZ

Hi Guys,

I am looking at setting up my up link setup - and wanted to know your thoughts on using the DJ7GP V2 LNB / POTY feed..?

Any reviews on performance / use would be appreciated...?

I am using an 80cm Triax offset dish...

Vielen Dank

RH

Hi Guys,

Now i have a working down-link receive setup, I am looking at setting up my transmit side.

I have a choice of IF frequency of - either 144MHz (2M) or 432MHz (70cm)...

Is there any technical reason to choice either one - which one should be preferred...?

Many Thanks | Vielen Dank

RH

Hi All,

As a quick update, I seem to be making some progress now, I have managed with my Triax 1.1m dish (and a Technomate Satellite DVB-S box) to align to Astra 19E and fully decode FTA TV. I then moved slightly East and can now lock to Badr3/4 and am receiving signals ok.

the issues i appear to have had, first, the elevation calibration on the back of the Triax dish is easily 8-10 degrees out, and for whatever reason the compass apps i have used were also not accurate..!

Now I'm locked to Badr3/4 a couple of questions:

- would i be able to receive Es'hail Sat 2 from this position ? (with 1.1m dish)

- second, in the current position, what would be the manual settings to enter into the Sat DVB-S box to lock to the Es'hail Sat 2 wide band transponder TV beacon - and i can see it this receivable...?

Many thanks again for any tips / help here...!

Hi Guys,

Thanks again..!

Yes, i do have a confirmed 12v supply to the DX-Patrol controller (injector) - and when i disconnect the RF input to the Airspy, the noise level does drop by around 25db (at 739MHz) - interesting though, when i tune up the band to around 850-900MHz the LNB noise levels increase massively, I'm assuming that's the TV IF's coming through..?

Hi Achim - many thanks for your tip here..!

I have now set the SDR# max gain for the LNB. I also aligned to the bearing in need for QO-100. I checked the noise floor level and shading of the waterfall - I covered the LNB face with my hand - and released. I could see no discernible change in the noise level or the color grading of the waterfall...

Can you clarify how i could improve this situation..? would in need to consider another LNB..or perhaps raising the dish higher above ground (even though I have a good view at ground level) ?

Does this mean I'm not able to receive the satellite transponder..?

Appreciate your input here..!

Many thanks everyone for your help and tips here..!

Unfortunately, I've not had a lot of luck so far.....my setup is DX-Patrol LNB and controller, Leo-Bodnar GPSDO reference, 1.1m Triax Dish and Airspy R1 SDR for the receiver, with SMA cables and F-Type patch leads

I have the directional info from the links you have given me, heading 148.5 degrees and elevation of 26.5 degrees, and -19 skew.

I'm pretty happy i have the heading correct, I have 148 degrees on the arm of the LNB feed, and i have that from multiple sources, I can only go on whats on the back of the dish for elevation - and the mount on there is not the easiest to move...

Looking at SDR# - I have the screen at 1MHz width, I'm centered on 739.550MHz for the low band beacon, looking for the rise in background noise of the transponder... No matter where I point the dish, up down - left and right, absolutely nothing...no change to spectrum display, same flat noise level.

I have a SatFinder app on my phone, and i can see the satellite with an unrestricted view.

I'm trying to figure out where to look first...? short of starting to replace items (cables should be straight-forward) I'm not sure.

I am thinking about getting a TV Sat installer to align the dish and see if he can see the ES'hail-2 DVB-S beacon on a signal meter, that would at least prove alignment of the dish, before i start looking at the individual components.

I've also considered buying a sat signal meter, but slightly cautious as they have an indicated frequency range from 900MHz, and ideally in need to reach to 739MHz..

Any tips or pointers (!) would be appreciated...!

73's / G0TKZ

After very enjoyable meetings and discussions at HAMRADIO, Friedrichshafen, I am now ready to setup my ground station. I have 1.1m Triax dish for receive, which i believe should give me good receive performance.

I have checked on BATC web site for antenna elevation and bearings - I have also an app on my phone which gives me bearing and elevation information too. My question is, how accurate does your dish alignment need to be...? from calculations, my bearing is 148.3 degrees and an elevation of 26.6 degrees - how much tolerance will i have here ? is it just a case of finding the sat and fine tuning for peak signal...?

Many thanks...

de G0TKZ

Hi Thomas & Heiner !

Many thanks for your updates here - I appreciate your input..

Look forward to seeing on QO-100 :)

Danke fur deine Hilfe..!!

Hello Everyone..!
    I am thinking about a lightweight / portable / fly-away setup for up-link station for Es'hail Sat 2, and I was researching two different antenna for this possibility. One possible solution was the 40 turn 13cm Helix from Wimo.de with up-to 16db gain and the other was WiFi 2.4GHz "Grill-Antenna" with up-to 24db gain. I appreciate the WiFi Grill antenna is fixed at Linear polarization - but would be interested to know your thoughts on either antenna for this portable NarrowBand station, and whether they would support NB up-link connection...?

Many thanks...