Posts by G4NRT

The problem is revolved! I have a Plugable DL-6950 USB-C to Dual HDMI display adapter. This uses the DisplayLink drivers and it seems that the MiniTioune software is unable to render video on these displays.

I moved my displays around to different ports and found that the display attached to the in-built HDMI on my Intel NUC7i7BNH computer will display video correctly.

David G4NRT

Remote Desktop would be the only option. It’s not a Minitiouner or Minitiouner Express problem. They both work fine on my old Windows Laptop.

I don’t think I’ll bother. I’ll just move the DATV kit on and find other toys to play with.

My post here was by way of a warning rather than a request for help!

David

I put a post onto the French forum first thing yesterday - before the BATC one that you helped with and before this one. Loads of views but no answers.

My Intel NUC has the built in graphics drivers and I have a USB-C to Dual HDMI adapter as well. None use Microsoft drivers.

Thanks ... I have been through every document that I can find about installing and configuring Minitioune both on the Minitiouner and on the Minitiouner Express.

If you refer to 4.6 in the document referenced above it says to run "CheckMinitiouneDriversAndFiles" and this runs correctly - that is ALL green but the video never renders in the window. It stays black in spite of the green lights!

I have the correct USB drivers installed and I have installed the 0.74 version of the LAV Filters PLUS Graph Studio Next, VLC, vMix and FFddshow but I cannot get Minitioune to render video.

If I double click on either of the *.TS files in the Minitioune folder they open correctly either in Windows Media Player or in Microsoft "Films and Television" but I do not know how to make Minitioune to use a suitable Codec. I shook add that I am trying to render an Ugly mode transmission from my Portsdown 2019 setup.

Any advice that you can offer would be gratefully received!

I have recently purchased a new Windows PC and performed a new Windows 10 installation on it. The Windows version is 1903.

Microsoft have removed the Codecs from Windows which are required in order to allow Minitioune to render video. You can buy the Microsoft HVEC Codec from the Windows store. Here is a link:

Microsoft Remove HVEC Codec

HOWEVER, even having bought the Codec from Microsoft (it only cost 89p), nothing that I have done has allowed me to get Minitioune to work with either my Minitiouner v2 or my Minitiouner Express. I get that famous "No video or bad codec / PID" message. Trying to run the "Check Minitioune Driver and Filters" application results in a full screen of green lights but the video window remains black - even though the buttons all light up green. I am unable to see the video stream in VLC either.

With the assistance of some very, very helpful and patient fellow BATC members, I tried everything that could be tried but all no no avail until Mike G0MJW discovered a thread about the missing Codecs in the new version of Windows 10. It doesn't affect people who migrate to the new version from older versions because the Codecs are carried forward.

I wonder if any other AMSAT members have seen this issue and, more importantly, found a way around it!

73 David G4NRT

Is the special Dual Feed available? I cannot see it on the Bamatech site? How would you connect it to the Kuhne downconverter?

David G4NRT

Thank you Johannes.

The answer is "no" on both counts! Only one on each! So it looks like I shall be just using the narrowband transponder with the Kuhne equipment and will need another solution for Wideband.

Here's a link: https://shop.kuhne-electronic.…fuegbar+Q22019/?card=1874

The dual-band feed has linear polarisation and is the "Amsat DL" one which I bought from Bamatech: https://www.bamatech.net/anten…4-10-ghz.html?language=en

That is not a problem as I am only dabbling in DATV right now .....

73 de David

Hmm. This down converter is designed to fit onto Peter DJ7GP's dual band feed - indeed it is coming with a clamp to hold it within a few centimetres of the 10ghz section.

At Friedrichshafen, the Kuhne guys assured me that it would work.

I'm interested to hear other's views.

David G4NRT

I am expecting my new Kuhne MKU LNC 10 QO-100 down converter along with the new Kuhne Bias-T (which has also a connection to feed my GPSDO up to the down converter).

The downconverter has four modes and these are selected by the Bias-T voltage:

QO – 100 SSB mode

Supply voltage between 12 and 17 V DC .

QO – 100 ATV mode

Supply voltage between 18 and 23 V DC .

SSB mode, 10368 ... 10370 MHz

Supply voltage between 9 and 11 V DC

SSB mode, 10450 ... 10452 MHz

Supply voltage between 24 and 36 V DC

So, in order to be able to use both the wideband and narrowband transponders, I will need to be able to switch between (say) 12v and 18v.

Can someone recommend a suitable power supply? It needn't have a high current rating but does need to be relatively accurate voltage-wise.

Thanks,

David G4NRT

That doesn't surprise me. I am amazed at the features that Dave keeps adding. I'm planning on building a Portsdown but may hang on for the time being!

I wonder whether we will see a Raspberry Pi 4 version of the Portsdown soon? I will have to ask the question on the BATC form ....