Posts by DL5CN

Hallo Ömer,

bei Linearendstufen bitte ein Zweitonspektrum benutzen und den Intermodulationsabstand angeben. Angaben zu Einton-Sättigungsleistungen sind nicht sinnvoll.

Please show an intermodulation spectrum with the help of a two tone signal. Single tone saturation is not the linear power range.

The SDR-Console can generate a double tone and the ADALM Pluto itself with its Duplex-Ability can show a spectrum. Of course, a dummy load with a damped signal output and enough attenuation is required. But this works with amateur methods. And one can see if the IMD reaches a specific level, for example 20 or 30 dBc. Take care not to overload the receiver.

Andreas

Hallo,

es sind zweifellos viele Möglichkeiten für eine QO-100 Station denkbar. Wie oben in Peters Text zu lesen ist, geht es aber um eine SDR-Lösung, die hinsichtlich Aufwand, Bedienkonfort, Duplexfähigkeit und vielen anderen Funktionen gegenüber herkömmlichen Konzepten so einfach nicht erreichbare Vorteile bietet. Die Veranstaltung soll helfen, diesbezüglich eine Hilfestellung zu geben und Vorbehalte zu mindern.
    Andreas

Hallo Nick,

ich glaube nicht, daß der Pluto die Ursache ist.
    Die Rauschglocke des Transponders muss sich zunächst mal über dem Eigenrauschen des LNB deutlich abheben. Das tut sie bei einem Spiegel von >=80cm deutlich. Ist das nicht der Fall, Justierung des Spiegels und LNB überprüfen. Am besten sieht man das Transponderrauschen mit einer großen Darstellungsbandreite, hier SDR# mit 2MHz.

D.h. für "Grasnarben-Signale" ist niemals der Pluto oder dessen LO verantwortlich sondern der LNB. Durch die hohe Durchgangsverstärkung der LNBs bekommt der Empfänger des Pluto immer genügend Pegel, eher zu viel. LNBs kann man einfach damit testen, daß man sie ohne Spiegel auf den Satelliten richtet. Der, welcher die höchsten Peaks der Baken im Spektrum liefert, ist zu wählen.

Ein weiterer Test ist der Vergleich einer häuslichen Empfangssituation mit einem der WEB-Empfänger. Von dem "Bullenauge" hört man manchmal gebremste Begeisterung, ich habe keine eigene Erfahrung.

Viel Erfolg
    Andreas

Hallo Nick,

das Seitenbandrauschen des Oszillators spielt in der Praxis kaum eine Rolle, weil
    das SNR der Signale auf der Ausgabe kaum 20 dB überschreitet. Viel wichtiger ist die Stabilität und die Übereinstimmung der Rx und Tx-Frequenzen.

Andreas

Hi,
    as Peter wrote above. Start a discussion. Collect ideas, do experiments. Test your equipment. Have fun. That's it. Of course there are more than one way to operate duplex. Switching to another sideband is one mouseclick.
    Andreas

Hi George,

I understand your plan. But I think it will be hard to surpress your own speach. You get confused because of the delay. This is not the case, using two different sidebands. As long as there is enough space, the occupied bandwith doens't matter.
    In a real duplex qso it happens that both stations talk at the same time to interrupt each other. On the same frequency there will be an interference with no copy.
    At least, it was an limited experiment. It was very easy to do. It was fun and showed how linear our amplifiers are. And the Pluto with Console is good for full duplex.
    Andreas

Hi,

a couple of minutes ago, I did a test with a friend. We used the two sidebands. Receiving and transmitting at the same time in different sidebands is very easy with the Console. Switch off the receiver muting also. The result is a crosstalk like a phone call. The delay caused by the satellites distance is no problem, because you do not hear your own voice while speaking. It was interesting to see there was no interference between the closed sidebands.
    Again, use headphones without an acoustic feedback to the microphone. Probably switch the receiver AGC to a fix value.
    Have fun.
    Andreas

Hi George,

I am ready for a test also. It is very eays to change Pluto frequencies. Switch off SyncRX and adjust the Rx and Tx Frequencies where ever you want. It is a kind of split mode which is very easy also. Just look which station is accepted from the DX and turn your transmitter to this
    frequency. There is a very big advantage having a spectrum.

Andreas

Hi Miro,

most of the Pluto users operate with the SDR-Console written G4ELI, Simon. This program allows all you need for satellite operation. There are menues to adjust the 40 MHz Pluto-clock. The receive frequency can be locked with the help of the PSK-Beacon. The transmit frequency is controlled by the 40 MHz clock only. To adjust the transmit use XIT, nothing else. If the external clock is GPS-locked there is no need for adjusting anything. But sometimes unexpected offsets occur. The solution was set all the values in the SDR-Console menues to zero and do a cold start.
    Set all the hooks also. We assume, there are correction values stored in the Pluto which cannot be changed easily setting the variables.
    May be we continue discussion per email. <mycall>@t-online.de
    73s
    Andreas

Hallo Miro,

from time to time, there where reports about unexpected frequency offsets with the Pluto. I am not sure but my recommendation is, bring all calibration settings in the Console to zero. Use all the options that are shown. Probably in the Plutos firmware are factory offsets.
    This happend to me using the pluto not for satellite operation but on 2m and 70cm. Returning to Sat-mode I found a strange offset altoughan external Leo Bodnar Clock is applied. After a cold start all was fine again.

Yout settings of the environmental variables above seem to be ok.
    Andreas

Hallo Vladimir,

1. WSJT unterstützt einen seriellen COM-Port für PTT. Ist dieser an aktuellen PCs nicht mehr vorhanden, kann man einen USB zu seriellen Wandler nehmen, z.B. einen FTDI-Chip wie FT232. Das erfordert einen FTDI-Treiber im PC. An einer der Statusleitungen (CTS, RTS) kann man ein Signal abnehmen. Dem Programm muss die COM-Port-Nummer mitgeteilt und die Statusleitung ausgewählt werden.

2. Um einen Pluto mit Ethernet zu betreiben ist ein USB zu Ethernet-Wandler erforderlich. Der Micro-USB-Stecker muss einen OTG-Kontakt haben. Damit wird der Pluto auf Ethernet geschaltet. Es gibt viele USB zu Ethernet-Wandler, nicht alle funktionieren, leider. Da sind Tests erforderlich. Zusätzlich müssen am Pluto und PC Einstellungen der IP-Adressen erfolgen oder DHCP benutzt werden.

dl5cn@t-online.de

Andreas

Hallo Valdimir,

ok, but a diagram isn't necessary. The POE-Adapters (can be seen above) with a RJ45-Socket are sticked to each end of a normal cable. And the RJ45-Plugs of the adapters are connected to Ethernet devices. This gives a normal Ethernet-Connection (red) with 2 twisted pairs, for example between Adalm Pluto and PC . The other two wire pairs can be used to bring the PTT-Information (green) from the USB-Relay at the PC to the Pluto. With other words, the POE-Adapter splits the Ethernet cable into two functions, normal Data exchange and PTT-Signal.

Oh, I remeber a symbolic graphic, I did for a friend some time ago. Here it is.

To switch to transmit, the PTT-Button gives a "low" to a USB to TTL-Converter and the Console goes in transmit mode.

If there are more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Andreas

Hallo,

bei einer möglicherweise älteren Firmware des Pluto war die Verzögerung 800ms. Das hat F5OEO bestätigt. Eine Änderung hatte Evariste angekündigt. Leider haben neuliche Nachfragen nicht zu einer Antwort geführt. Das ist für SSB viel zu viel. Deswegen benutze ich die POE-Adapter Lösung. Das funktioniert gut, ist natürlich nicht mit einer Bridge machbar.
    Sowohl Pluto als auch PA über ein LAN-Kabel zu steuern, wäre das Ziel.

Andreas