Posts by DL5CN

Hallo,
    I need some help. I am looking for Information, data sheet or samples of SOT23-5 switching regulators. The SMD-Code is
    JWF5J
    It seems it is manufatured in Asia. Until now no substitute could be found. Every information about these Chips is highly appreciated. The regulators are feed with 5V. The output voltage can be adjusted by a resistor divider, I guess.

Thanks
    Andreas

I think, this was not the question....

Hallo,

I did a quick drawing. This is an advice from DC6HL (thanks! ) given in a qso. I think this is of general interest.

All three paths meet at the coax. 25 MHz is feed with serial resonance circuits. They do DC-blocking also. The operating voltage is feed via another choke. It must have enough inductivity not to shortcut the 25 MHz. Some µHs should do this.

The coupling capacities for 739 MHz must be small enough, use 15pF or so. This is a little barrier for the 25 MHz.

15pF have approx 15 Ohm at 739 MHz and 425 at 25 MHz.

The bias choke in the LNB is to low in inductivity. Mount a SMD-Choke with enough current ability, 100mA or a bit more.

In the shack, do this in the same way. Excuse the quick drawing. No need to go back to school :)

Andreas

Hallo,

from my little important point of view one should take care not to overdrive the converters mixer. There are LNBs with different gain. But it is much to much so the resulting noise figure of the receiver as a whole is defined by the LNB always. The required dynamic range is small. That means, the gain of the receiver chain can be adjusted to see the transponder noise clearly at the lower edge and not to overload the receiver (mixers are sophisticated always) at the higher edge. In the above example I had to disable the preamp in the Malahit to see the small peak of the beacon. Finally, a lot of things are possible right behind the LNBs, long cables, IF-filtering, attenuation and so on.
    For testing, switch the LNBs feeding voltage on and off. The noise floor changes rapidly.
    The complete rx-chain including the dish has to be adjusted to receive the transponder noise. It was discussed ealier, it can be helpful to use a wide range spectrum window watching the "noise mountain" transmitted by the satellite beside the cold sky. With nearly two years of experience I can say, use a RTL-Stick V3 after the LNB and SDR# to mount or to check the dish. With a transceivers analog S-Meter it is more difficult to do. With 160 KHz max. the spectrum window of the little Malahit isn't wide enough.
    Of course all this well known and I am repeating basics. But probably it can be helpful for beginners.
    Andreas

Hallo Achim,
    thanks, this is an interesting idea. In my courtyard there is much noise. Turning a dish away from the Satellite, noise changes unexpected. A house and trees and so on. Guess, I don't have cold sky conditions. May be this is the reason, all trials to receive the beacon DL0SHF went wrong. With a piece of metal it's no longer handsome stuff :-(.
    But always good for further tests and playing around.
    By the way, the receiver as a chinese clone (I and so many others believed there is an agreement between the russian developers and the chinese manufacturers) didn't work at all at higher frequencies. The reason was a bad clock oscillator. The heart of the radio is a chip from MIRICS as a wideband receiver. At least it is good to check LNBs and adjust dishes.
    Andreas

Hallo,

um Übersteuerungen grundsätzlich zu vermeiden, wäre auch ein Minimalsystem gut :)

Wie man sieht, ist der LNB (mit Quarz, kein TCXO) ca. 100 KHz daneben. Die Bake ist gut sicht- und hörbar. Für Telegrafie würde es reichen. Mit dem nicht ganz ernst gemeinten Foto gestatte ich mir nochmals darauf hinzuweisen, Rapporte mit absoluten Pegelangaben sind nicht sinnvoll, es geht immer nur um die Differenz zum Rauschsockel des Umsetzers, welcher hinreichend über dem Eigenrauschen des Empfängers (LNB) sein sollte. Das wurde schon oft dargestellt, ist aber immer wieder in fälschlicher Form zu hören.

Andreas

Hallo,
    some time ago, I did a similar observation. Output much to low, about -30 dBm. One hint was a bad soldering at the output transformer.
    I tried to transmit at lower frequencies and increased it. Finally the Pluto returned to normal operation. Don'l know the reason but it works.

Andreas

Hallo,

nochmals bitte Vorsicht bei Firmware-Aktualisierungen bei dem SAA-2N mit 4-Zoll-Display. Nach dem Aufspielen der Software ist die
    Zuordnung von Tasten und Berührung auf dem Display möglicherweise nicht mehr gegeben. Da beginnt ein Lotteriespiel, die Funktionen
    DISPLAY und danach
    TOUCH CAL
    auzurufen. Probeweise tippen und merken was passiert ist. Wenn man sich verrannt hat, ausschalten, wieder einschalten. Irgendwann klappt es. Dann unbedingt die Funktion SAVE aktivieren, damit die gefundene Einstellung gespeichert wird.
    Wenn sich eine Firmware findet, die klar für den SAA-2N ausgewiesen ist, bitte eine Info.

Take care, updating a NanoVNA SAA-2N. Probably the touch screen will not work as before. Try to find the DISPLAY-Button and activate
    TOUCH CAL. It is a bit like random. If the display works don't forget to save. If someone finds a firmware matching especially to the SAA-2N, please info.

Andreas

Hallo Guys,

there is an easy chance to feed the Adalm Pluto with external 10 or 25 MHz. Use PUTTY and login. User is "root" and PW "analog".

# fw_setenv ad936x_ext_refclk "<25000000>"
    # fw_setenv xo_correction 25000000
    # pluto_reboot reset

Continue working with the new external clock.

This is possible with the Firmware from Evariste, F5OEO (thanks!!). So, it is very easy to use the same external frequency feeding the Pluto and the LNB also, given from a Leo Bodnar Rx for example. From my point of view a very simple and exact way to get a GPS- stabilized Sat-Station.
    Andreas

Hallo Ralf,

tut mir leid, wenn die ICY Box nicht will. Es gibt Gerüchte, daß Exemplare im Umlauf sein sollen, bei denen der OTG-Kontakt nicht beschaltet sein soll. Vielleicht bei Raidsonic reklamieren?

Aus eigenem Erleben kann ich das nicht bestätigen. Ich habe drei Exemplare der Firma Raidsonic, die alle prima funktionieren.
    Wenn die LEDs nicht blinken, liegt sicher ein ernster Fehler vor. In meinem Bekanntenkreis sind auch andere USB-zu Ethernet-Wandler im Einsatz, die ich aber nicht kenne...
    Andreas

Hallo Robert,

doch, die Umgebungsvariablen, zu denen auch die IP-Adressen gehören, lassen sich durch Befehle am Linux-Prompt per PUTTY einstellen.
    Allerdings besteht die Gefahr, daß die LAN-Verbindung abreißt, wenn die IP verstellt wird.
    Unter Umständen muss die Verbindung mit PUTTY wieder neu aufgebaut werden.
    Warum ändern, wenn im LAN alles funktioniert?
    Andreas

Hallo,
    es gibt immer wieder Irritationen, hier nochmal die ausführliche Beschreibung.

Es muss klar unterschieden werden, soll der Pluto (client) in einem Netzwerk mit DHCP (Router) betrieben werden oder mit direkter Kopplung zu einem PC(host).
    DHCP sollte ohne jegliche Änderung funktionieren.
    Für eine direkte Kopplung benötigen der Pluto und der PC jeweils eine feste IP-Adresse. In der config.txt muss dazu mit Hilfe von Windows (USB-Verbindung) eine IP unter

[USB_ETHERNET]

ipaddr_eth = 192.168.1.205 (BEISPIEL!)

netmask_eth = 255.255.255.0

und nur dort eingetragen werden. Die config.txt muss unbedingt durch "Laufwerk Auswerfen" rückgelesen werden.
    Der PC bekommt in seinen Ethernet-Adapter-Einstellungen eine feste IP
    192.168.1.204 (BEISPIEL!) Die Adressen müssen in der gleichen subdomain sein, sprich die ersten drei Stellen sind identisch.
    Die lezte Stelle ist frei wählbar.
    Zusätzlich wird auf dem PC die Plutoadresse als standard gateway eingetragen.
    Die Erkennung einer Ethernet-Verbindung des Pluto mit der SDR Console erfordert beim Programmstart die Eintragung der Pluto-IP mit einem vorangestellten ip:192.168.1.205 (BEISPIEL!).

Der Pluto benötigt einen USB zu Ethernet-Adapter. z.B, eine ICY Box IB-AC510 der Firma Raidsonic. Wichtig ist die Beschaltung des
    OTG-Pins im Mikro-USB-Stecker der ICY Box. Sobald eine physikalische Verbindung mit einem Ethernetkabel zu einem PC gebildet ist, müssen die LEDs an den Ethernet-Buchsen beginnen zu blinken.
    Ist der Pluto mit PUTTY erreichbar lassen sich am Linix-Prompt alle weiteren Umgebungsvariablen einstellen.
    Das ist schon mehrfach beschrieben.
    user "root, passwort "abalog" usw.
    Beispiel für die Frequenzerweiterung
    fw_setenv attr_name compatible
    fw_setenv attr_name ad9364
    reboot

Viel Spass
    Andreas

Hallo,

die config.txt ist eine Datei, die erst "gebaut" wird, wenn man den Pluto an eine USB-Schnittstelle steckt und per Windows verbindet.
    PUTTY ist ein Telnet Client, der unter Win gestartet wird aber auf die Linux-Ebene zugreift.
    Also bitte nicht verwechseln, enweder die config.txt editieren und auswerfen ODER am Linux-Prompt die Variablen verstellen.
    Andreas
    FF = Frohe Weihnachten

Hallo,
    bitte sauber trennen. Das Linux auf dem Pluto kennt verschiedene Umgebungsvariablen. Unter anderem auch die IP-Adressen. Zum Ändern entweder über Windows und config.txt vorgehen, die dann per Laufwerk-Auswerfen rückgelesen werden muss.
    Oder mit Putty an den Linux-Prompt begeben und nach dem Einloggen per Kommandozeile die entsprechenden Variablen ändern. Die Syntax ist an diversen Stellen nachzulesen und muss exakt eingehalten werden.

Putty kann via IP oder wenn diese noch nicht stimmt, per SSH verbunden werden.
    Die Vorgehensweise bei der IP-Zuweisung für den Pluto ist abhängig von der geplanten Verbindung. DHCP via einen Router oder direkt.
    Andreas

Hallo,
    the radiation pattern of an open waveguide is around 120 degrees at -3 dB. (Hope, I remember correct). This is to wide for a common dish, overillumination is the result. That's why commercial LNBs have horns or a lense to reduce the radiation pattern. As a result, I found better signal to noise ratio watching the "Transponders Ground Noise" with or without a lense at the Rocket LNBs input. But this did not happen because of a increase of forward gain only but a reduction of background noise beside the dish also. The radiation pattern fixes better to the dish but did not reach 6 dB in summary.
    Andreas

Hallo,

I had the chance to have a look at the intermodulation distortion of a "Chinese Pluto". It was disappointing a bit. Originals and LimeSDR Mini do much better.
    Can anybody confirm this?
    There is no idea where the reasons are. The Chips are the same. Power Supply, layout
    Don't panic, we will go further.
    Andreas

Hallo Achim,

I know the datasheet. But are there amateur constructions which confirm this really? Unfortunately nobody does IMD-Measurements. Between my small result and what the datasheet says is a difference. I would like to know where the mistake is. From my point of view, the chip seems to small for 27 Watts SSB-PEP. This means two carrriers with 38 dBm. Does the above diagram show what we call linear operation? More Spacing of the single carriers gives less dissipation. A two tone measurement with the usually small spacing signal from a Pluto or Lime would be appreciated.
    Andreas

Hallo,

What is the difference between a WIKI and a FORUM? One have to read it otherwise it will not help. In a WIKI it is better structured probably. But the informations are the same nearly.
    After some measurements and discussions about amplifiers, I think, first we need a paper about intermodulation distortion and how to reduce it in praxis. I often read and listen to informations about single carrier output. Without results about the linear operation range of an amplifier it has no releveance. In the past there were no easy to handle two tone signals. Now with digital systems it is simple.
    Andreas