Posts by S57RW

My last QSO trough FO-29 was abt. mid June when was still perfectly working. After had some construction work in the house so was out from any ham activity. So unfortunately don't have a telemetry record from the last days. Also by working LEO's usually just used the CW telemetry beacon to find the SAT and than tuned to find somebody calling or to call CQ.

However tnx for the post it is an usefull request if maybe somebody has a record of last days.

Best 73's

Andrej Jerman

Not a new news but apparently the FO-29 LEO SAT went SK somewhere between 9th and 10th July after 23 years of great operation. Nobody heard from since than. I'm sorry for that since it was a great bird. Made my 1st LEO SAT QSO with linear transponder over this bird and many more later.

Wasn't active on LEOs since abt. 2 months and tried the FO-29 few days ago without checking the SAT's status prior. Of corse heard just silence.

Best 73's!

Andrej - S57RW

Was reading in the morning the docs published on the CEPT website from Ancara conference and I think IARU-R1 and DARC (as heard they were the most involved, but probably also others not to discriminate somebody) done a great job. The IARU view on the topic was written very professionally and the German regulator in their view used most of the facts from the IARU document. Probably apart the document there were many activities made by IARU. Finger crossed enough members will oppose to the French proposal. If understood well if we get 7 opposing the 2m band is safe for now.

Just wanted to point out how important is to be a member of your national amateur radio union. By being you also support IARU and we can do something against such interests. Unfortunately I'm afraid in the future there will be more and more interest by commercial users for RF spectrum and our bands especially VHF and above are the most interesting being easy to take away if needed by commercial users. So far didn't happen here but in US they lost part of the 220 MHz band due interests from the USPS.

Having our sociaieties we have some chance avoiding above from happen. It is like throwing bricks when you don't agree with something. If you throw them alone maybe you broke a window or two before the police arrest you. If an organization throws bricks is like "all their members" are throwing. Having many people trowing bricks is a different story and we have some power.

I'm also interested what will come out for the 23cm story. In the agenda is mentioned there is no intention to take us the band away but I'm afraid about power limits, etc… There is an IARU response on that topic too.

For quite the same reason have decided to become also an AMSAT-DL member. Since I like satellites it is how can give some small support to this activity. Probably without AMSAT organizations around we wouldn't have a single bird in space.

Best 73's!

Andrej - S57RW

For LEO SATs I'm using a LPF on the 2m side with 2x FT817 and the arrow antenna. Simple to make. Got the schematic from the PA1IVO website:

https://ivok.home.xs4all.nl/pa…able_satellite_setup.html

Works great both in mode J and B with no noticable desense on RX part. 1st time when tried to work LEOs without the LPF had interferences in both modes when using the arrow and couldn't hear my transmission back at all.

Never measured the response of the filter but PA1IVO claims should have -50dB on 70cm. Seems that for FT817 and 5W it provides enough attenuation. Probably by using more power and a pre-amp on RX this one wouldn't cut enough and the one Peter posted would be more suitable.

73 de S57RW