Posts by DK8KW

SWL-SK89

Can you access this settings-windows? Maybe you got some wrong figures in there.

For the unmodified Pluto, the value should be 40000000 Hz. I am using an external 26 MHz reference, that's why the value here is 26000000 Hz.

Best 73

Holger 'Geri', DK8KW

Hallo Mike,

allgemeine Suche bei Google mit den Stichworten 'ebay BU500 up converter' hilft bei mir -- das Teil taucht dann sogar in ebay. de auf.

Ich bin selber begeisterter Nutzer des kleinen Konverters. Eines habe ich leider kaputt gemacht.

Das andere betreibe ich mit KX3 und 50MHz als ZF in meiner Portabelstation mit SG-Lab Endstufe dahinter -- funktioniert ufb!

Vy 73

Holger 'Geri', DK8KW

Hi,

The only point that is under investigation is if available 2.4 GHz filters are drop image from 70 MHz IF from your 7300.

Hello folks,

interdigital filters would do that but probably would not help with a low budget rig, unless one is capable of building one homebrew.

I use this interdigital filter from ID-Elektronik to successfully run a BU500 up-converter with an IF of 50MHz.

Vy 73

Holger ‚Geri‘, DK8KW

Adalm-Pluto is USB-2 but I connect it to the USB-3 socket and I have never had problems and no need to apply external power.

Thanks for the information, Lucio.

I have now connected the Pluto to a USB 3.0 card, that is supplied by a separate cable directly from the computer internal power supply. So far everything works fine :).

Best 73

Holger 'Geri', DK8KW

has anyone had good success with this board / pcb

Hello Sean,

I purchased an already modified Pluto from Joerg, with the TCXO built in. It works very well. In the meantime I modified the device so that I also can feed in an external GPS disciplined 26MHz signal. This modification was easy, because Joerg already did the difficult part of the modification: removing the Pluto's internal oscillator.

Best 73

Holger, 'Geri', DK8KW

If the Pluto is connected with two power sources on both ports in parallel, you can damage the Pluto.

Hi folks,

My Pluto is connected with the USB-cable to the computer and, with the second cable, to an external 5V power supply. When I connect or disconnect the external power, the Pluto resets and restarts -- obviously now switching to the power from the computer's USB port. This function seems to prevent that two power sources are used in parallel.

I prefer to run the Pluto on external power, because the device permanently draws around 400mA, which might be a little bit high for a regular USB-port, especially if the computer also powers other external devices.

Best 73 and stay healthy!

Holger 'Geri', DK8KW

Hello Matthias,

This morning I made use of the beautiful weather here in Peine to quickly set up the Cassegrain in the garden and to do a quick test on the SNR.

After carefully adjusting inclination, azimuth and skew (much more carefulyl than I usually do when I quickly set up my portable equipment) I measured a "SDR-Console-SNR" of 31.3dB.

Provided we use the same bandwidth (I typically use 550kHz to see the entire transponer and a little bit beyond) our two values do not seem to be so far off. Adding the 1.5dB loss that DH1ND claims to have measured due to his "Helix-Reflector-Peekhole" a difference of around 2dB remain. Good enough for me ;).

I am sure you know that by lowering the window-bandwidth you can almost achieve any measurable SNR with SDR Console (see pictures).

Widh a bandwidth of 550kHz I get the 31.3dB SNR.

With 2.7kHz bandwidth I get over 44dB SNR.

I believe that the 31+dB are plausible. With my fixed setup and the 1.8m offset dish I get an SNR of 41dB (@ 550kHz bandwidt). At 10.489MHz the 1.8m dish has about 10dB more gain than the 0.6m dish, so the SNR difference should also be in the same ballpark figure, isn't it?

Best 73 and stay healthy!

Holger 'Geri', DK8KW

Hello Matthias,

>Well done.

Thanks!

VSWR of the helix installed in the antenna is around 1,5. I measured this using the voltage outputs of the SG-Labs PA for forward and reflected power.

The total space between the center of the primary reflector and the center of the secondary reflector is 140mm. The length of the helix is around 80mm, so there is still some headroom to the secondary reflector, thus obviously not influencing the VSWR too much.

SNR reading was taken with SDR-Console. Without going back into the discussion about the right or wrong way to measure it: the CW beacon had a SNR of 30 „SDR-Console-dB“ ;) .

Vy 73

Holger ‚Geri‘, DK8KW

Hello Folks,

Last year I got hold of a so-called Cassegrain TV antenna. The Cassegrain principle has the advantage, that by a secondary convex reflector in front of the primary reflector the focal length is extended. Thereby the antenna is very compact.

The antenna I aquired is made by the company Gibertini and is called Cassegrain CP 60. For some reason it seems that the manufacturing has been discontinued but if you search the net you still can find some companies selling them.

This antenna has the big advantage that it has a radom covering the entire antenna, thereby protecting the LNB. The diameter of this antenna is 62cm. Due to the radom it can be easily transported and I took it to a few trips , for example to Denmark, where I was QRV as 5P8KW last September . The downlink antenna is the lower of the two antennas.

At that time I still used a SSB-Electronic 2.4GHz antenna called Airlink 60 (the upper antenna). It has a similar radom but it is not a Cassegrain but a prime focus dish.

I experimented with both, helical antennas and patch feeds, which led me to be a fan of the helical feed.

I came accross a dual band design by Bernd, DH1ND, who simply printed a holder for a 3 1/4 turns helix with a 3D printer. The reflector of the helix has a hole where the LNB is peeping through.

According to Bernd, the loss of the LNB signal by the reduction of the free sight of the LNB is about 1.5dB. I can confirm that the loss is not very high and with the signal strength of the satellitle inside a 62cm antenna, it is affordable.

I purchased a kit from Bernd to test it in my setup. Note that in a Cassagrain antenna with two reflectors the helical antenna has to be wound right hand wise (RHCP)!

Here is a look inside the antenna before the modification.

The secondary reflector has a diameter of 14cm.

Here is the complete setup with LNB and helix.

During practical tests with my portable station in my garden showed, that I was unable to detect any attenuation of the received signal from QO-100.

I tested the the uplink system and compared it to a 60cm prime focus dish with linear vertical polarization (the Airlink 60). The signal of the modified Cassegrain is about 2 to 3dB stronger than the linear polarized antenna (as expected ;) ).

Now I only need to load one antenna into the trunk of my car for portable operation.

Vy 73

Holger 'Geri', DK8KW

Hallo Frank,

ja, genau das Filter von ID-Elektronik habe ich auch drin. Ich mir sogar die beiden Notch-Filter zusammen auf die L.O. von 2350 MHz legen lassen, so daß ich dort jetzt eine Dämpfung von über 90dB habe.

Allerdings habe ich meine erste Version des BU500 durch eigene Dummheit kaputtgemacht (abgerutscht beim Bohren eines Loches im Gehäuse) und ich habe jetzt die Version 6 — da ist die L.O.-Absenkung sowieso schon bei >50dB (siehe BU500 UpConverter by HiDes Taiwan, #21 bis #26).

Vy 73

Holger, ‚Geri‘, DK8KW

Hallo Hans,

den Abschwächer habe ich letztes Jahr in Dortmund auf dem Flohmarkt gekauft — schau’ mal bei eBay, da gibt es eigentlich immer irgendwelche Stufen- oder Drehabschwächer.

Da ich in meinem Konzept damit nur die Eingangsfrequenz von meinem KX3 in den BU500 hinein abschwäche, also 50 MHz, braucht der Abschwächer hier gar nicht so hochwertig zu sein.

Vy 73

Holger ‚Geri‘, DK8KW

Man könnte doch auch an den Durchführungs-C`s ein festes Voltmeter installieren, so hat man stets Übersicht über die Spannungsverhältnisse,oder?

Genau, Hans, so mache ich das auch bei meinem Sender. Mit dem Drehschalter daneben schalte ich dann zwischen PA-Ausgang, Rücklauf, PA-Eingangsleistung und zur Kontrolle noch zur Spannungsversorgung des gesamten Transverters um. Mit dem Abschwächer kann ich die Ausgangsleistung in 1dB-Schritten genau einstellen.

vy 73

Holger ‚Geri‘, DK8KW

Hallo Frank,

als Ingenieur (in einem ganz anderen Fachbereich als HF-Technik) habe ich eine Vorliebe für alles, was ich messen kann. Ich liebe es aber auch, mir so weit es geht selber Gedanken dazu zu machen.

Richtige Messgeräte für den GHz-Bereich sind natürlich klasse aber nicht immer unbedingt notwendig. Hier in meiner Gegend wüsste ich z.B. nicht, wen ich direkt ansprechen soll, um im GHz-Bereich z.B. Leistung zu messen (ich habe mittlerweile ein relativ einfaches Gerät selber hier). Ich hatte mir letztens mal einen R&S Leistungsmesser ausgeliehen, mit einem Meßkopf „bis 2 GHz“. Naja, dachte ich, wird auf 2.4 GHz schon noch funktionieren. Denkste: da steht halt R&S drauf, und wenn die sagen, daß der Kopf bis 2 GHz geht, dann ist das auch so! Alles darüber war so etwas von daneben, das reichte nicht mal mehr zum Abschätzen ...

Das ist das schöne hier am Forum: wenn ich niemanden direkt hier in der Nähe kenne, der aushelfen kann — hier finde ich immer jemanden, der gerne weiterhilft.

Vy 73

Holger ‚Geri‘, DK8KW

Hallo,

meine Messpunkte dienen sicherlich nur der Abschätzung. Abschluss mit 50 Ohm ist richtig, ich habe hier aus alten DEBEG-Beständen eine früher sicherlich mal teure und hochwertige 50 Watt Dummy-Load, die, wenn ich mich recht erinnere, bis 6GHz spezifiziert ist. Allerdings mit mehreren Adaptern und einem Zwischenkabel zwischen PA und Dummy Load, was die Sache schon mal verfälscht, das ist klar.

Außerdem hatte ich zu der Zeit, als die Messpunkte entstanden sind, noch gar keinen Leistungsmesser für 2.4 GHz.

Lösung: der BU500 Up-Converter hat ein Kalibrierblatt dabei. Eingangsfrequenz meines BU500 ist 50 MHz. Zwischen 50 MHz-Quelle und BU500 habe ich ein schaltbares Dämpfungsglied eingeschleift und dann die kalibrierten Messpunkte des BU500 angefahren. Über die lineare Verstärkung der SG-Labs PA (16 dB) habe ich dann auf die theoretischen Ausgangsleistungen an den Messpunkten geschlossen und die Spannung gemessen. Dabei bleiben Verluste durch Stecker und Kabel unberücksichtigt.

Vorgestern hatte ich übrigens die Gelegenheit, meine Abschätzung zu überprüfen. Ich habe eine Antenne mittels Pluto und Satsagen-Software abgeglichen und das damit ermittelte VSWR lag in der Größenordnung des VSWRs, das ich mit Hilfe der Spannungsmessung an der SG-Labs PA ermittelt habe.

Fazit: ich würde meinen Messaufbau nicht zertifizieren, aber für die Abschätzung darüber, ob eine Antenne ein ausreichend gutes VSWR hat oder nicht. reicht es ;).

Vy 73

Holger ‚Geri‘, DK8KW

DK1MHW

Hallo Hans,

die Leistungsanzeige ist leider nicht linear.

Ich habe ein paar Messpunkte aufgenommen und komme in etwa auf die Werte in dieser Tabelle:

Aus dieser Zeichnung siehst Du den Verlauf. X-Achse ist die Leistung in dBm, Y-Achse gemessene Spannung an den Messpunkten in Volt. Die Angaben beziehen sich sowohl auf die vorlaufende als auch die rücklaufende Leistung.

Auf dieser Webseite von R&S gibt es Rechenprogramme zum Herunterladen. Falls Du ein Smartphone hast, gibt es diese auch als Apps, ebenfalls von R&S (kostenlos).

https://www.rohde-schwarz.com/…ion-note_56280-15802.html

Irgendwo hier im Forum habe ich beschrieben, wie ich die Messpunkte aus der SG-Labs PA herausführe. Die Durchführungskondensatoren gibt es für wenig Geld in oK.

Vy 73

Holger ‚Geri‘, DK8KW

DL5BBD

Hallo Werner,

wenn wir von den 16 dB ausgehen, die DB8TF in seinem Post für eine 30 Windungen-Antenne annimmt, dann hast Du bei 1,5 Watt Ausgangsleistung etwa 60 Watt EIRP. Die CW-Bake hat etwa 950 Watt EIRP. d.h. theoretisch solltest Du mit Deiner Konfiguration nur etwa 12 dB unter der Bake liegen, was für CW-Betrieb auf jeden Fall ausreichend ist.

Du solltest vielleicht doch noch einmal ausprobieren, die Antenne manuell nach Signal auszurichten. Gerade die Ausrichtung nach dem Magnetometer im Handy wird oft durch die lokale Deklination (Abweichung der Kompassnadel von der wahren Nordrichtung) und Umgebungseinflüsse (Balkongitter, etc.) gestört.

Ansonsten prüf' doch noch einmal, ob alle Stecker und Kabel richtig sitzen. Ich hatte in einem SMA-Winkelstecker einen winzig kleinen Klecks Lötzinn, der nicht ganz an Masse lag aber mein Signal um ca. 20 dB geschwächt hat.

Ansonsten hilft vielleicht eine relativ preiswerte Endstufe aus dem WLAN-Bereich, um das Signal des BU500 noch ein wenig anzuheben. Der WLAN-Bereich liegt ja doch noch ein gutes Stück weit weg und mit 4 oder 5 Watt und einer gut bündelnden Antenne hast Du eine gut Chance, die WLAN-Dinger nicht zu stören.

Übrigens kannst Du beim BU500 die Ausgangsleistung an der Gleichspannung ablesen, die hinten über einen Durchführungskondensator hinausgeführt ist.

Viel Erfolg, vy 73

Holger 'Geri', DK8KW