Posts by DC7KG

Hi,

2.4 GHz is not DC, you can't solder two cables together!!!!

You have to use the appropriate connectors for your Ultraflex 7 cable, SMA and N for the Helix.

73 Detlev, DC7KG

Hi Matthias,

it is not the difference between 40 and 50 MHz, it is the difference between 80 (40 x 2) and 50 Mhz.

Because I have no 50 MHz clock I can't measure it, but I believe AD knows the facts.

73 Detlev

Hi,

the AD document UG-570 says, that the scaled frequency should be as close to 80 MHz as possible, i.e. 40 MHz x 2. But you can't take 50 MHz x 1.6!

Detlev

REFERENCE CLOCK SETUP AND OPERATION

If the DCXO is not used, an external reference clock needs to be ac-coupled to XTALN (Pin M12). XTALP (Pin M11) is not connected (leave floating). The clock frequency must be between 5 MHz and 320 MHz, and can be scaled by 1×, ½×, ¼× and 2× using BBPLL, Rx and Tx reference dividers. The valid frequency range for the RFPLL phase detectors is 10 MHz to 80 MHz, and the scaled frequency of the reference clock must be within this range. For optimum phase noise it is recommended to operate the scaled clock as close to 80 MHz as possible. The selection between DCXO and external reference clock is made in the ad9361_init function.

AD says in UG 570: For optimum phase noise it is recommended to operate the scaled clock as close to 80 MHz as possible.

The transmission spectrum at 2.4 GHz is decisive.

73 Detlev, DC7KG

Hi,

AD recommends 80 MHz (40 MHz x 2) in document UG570:

REFERENCE CLOCK SETUP AND OPERATION

If the DCXO is not used, an external reference clock needs to be ac-coupled to XTALN (Pin M12). XTALP (Pin M11) is not connected (leave floating). The clock frequency must be between 5 MHz and 320 MHz, and can be scaled by 1×, ½×, ¼× and 2× using BBPLL, Rx and Tx reference dividers. The valid frequency range for the RFPLL phase detectors is 10 MHz to 80 MHz, and the scaled frequency of the reference clock must be within this range. For optimum phase noise it is recommended to operate the scaled clock as close to 80 MHz as possible. The selection between DCXO and external reference clock is made in the ad9361_init function.

The level for the clock should be 1.3 V p-p maximum(lower swings can be used but will limit performance). This signal can be a clipped sine wave or a CMOS signal. The best performance will be seen with the highest slew rate possible.

The XTALN (Pin M12) has an input resistance of ~ 10 kΩ in parallel with 10 pF.

PHASE NOISE SPECIFICATION

The AD9361 Rx and Tx RFPLLs use the DCXO or external clock as their reference clock as well. For this reason, it is extremely critical that the crystal or clock source have very low phase noise. The recommended phase noise specification is shown in Figure 2.

73 Detlev, DC7KG

Hi André,

AD requests more than 90 dB, see page 1. Have you looked at the transmit spectrum with a spectrum analyzer? The Chinese 40 MHz OCXO and the KVG TCXO produce unusable transmit spectra.

73 Detlev, DC7KG

Hi André,

I think the phase noise is more important than the frequency stability, see images on page 1. What about the noise of the Si5351?

73 Detlev, DC7KG