Posts by OZ2RNH

So just to finish this off, i forgot that our local ham radio club has a spectrum analyzer, so im getting the upconverter, and amplifier tested as a unit to see what to expect at the different input powers (1-3 Watt), and how much the DXpatrol mk4 delivers on the output, both with and without the amplifier.

It also turns out its not a 1.5m dish, but a 2m dish. :)

If you point your dish exactly to QO-100 then it should be enough power. My very first signal over QO-100 was in CW with about 500 mW without amp from the upconverter . The result was a very weak but stable signal on Goonhilly WebSDR.

Hi Thomas.

Remember without the amp i will have a max of 200mW, and i am sure the dx patrol up converter will have to be pushed to the limit for that kind of output.

I got told that the DX Patrol often are making a dirty signal, so i will try and keep my drive as low as possible, it would be nice with a dedicated ptt instead of VOX. :)

I will try. :)

Ronni

With your 1.5m dish you do not need an amplifier. Try first without one, the transponder is very sensitive.

Hi Thomas.

Just took a quick look on your QRZ page, im a big fan of the two old Kenwoods for QO-100, i have a TS-711E here, but unfortunately its not working at the moment.

I will try without the amplifier first, but i doubt it will be enough for a SSB contact.

Kind regards

Ronni

Hi Matthias.

I will make sure to add some attenuators to my shopping list, what is the best option for limiting the output ? Attenuators between the output of the dx patrol upconverter to limit the drive to amplifier, or attenuation on the output of the amplifier before the feed ?

For limiting the output from the TS2000 my shopping list includes a 40db 50w attenuator - 100mW should be enough to trigger the vox on the upconverter.

Without the possibility to measure the output its a bit hard - plan was not to trigger LEILA. :)

Kind regards

Ronni

Hi Martin.

Sorry no gear for measuring the output, it is possible that 200mW is a bit of a stretch, but i dont need that much output anyway, had a fellow ham do some measuring on my amplifier, and it will produce 12 watt with a 100mW input, and close to 30 watt with the max of 250mW in, but that is not tested.

Am i wrong for thinking that with about 100mW of drive and a output of 12w , i will get 4-5 watts at the antenna, there will be some loss in cables, connectors and so on.

I did read a bit about the TS2000 having ALC overshoot issues, and even at 5 watt setting, it will produce 60 watts for a short time before adjusting down - so it needs quite a attenuator to make sure there is no damage to the up converter.

Kind regards

Ronni

It is always beter to attenuate the INPUT TO THE Upconverter on the radio side , not the output after the upconverter . This will result in a clean signal without nasty sidebands. You should check if that is enough signal strength. If not, you still can kick in the amp. You will need attenuation ahead of the amp, I'm sure.

I will need some attenuation before the upconverter, minimum output on my TS2000 is 5 watt - and the upconverter needs between 1 and 3 watt, output alone should be a max of 200mW, so i need the amplifier, i am counting on being able to turn down the output power directly on the DXpatrol mk4 upconverter using the pwr adj, and in doing that limit the output from the amplifier.

Hi Matthias.

Thank you for the reply, i still need to go and pickup the dish, so not much information is known, except its 1.5m, and its made from steel, and its free, so that is always a plus. :)

I will take a look at your website, and see what i can find, it sounds like a poty will be the way to go - better start looking after one.

Kind regards

Ronni

Hi Martin.

Thank you for the pictures, looks like a nice setup, and very simple with that poty.

Looks like i should go hunting for one of those, guess i need to play with the power when the antenna is done, should be possible to turn down the output on the upconverter, my amplifier should deliver 12 watt at 100mW input.

Hi Martin.

Thank you for the reply, my goal was around 4-5 watt into the antenna, i got a 12 watt amplifier for use with the DX patrol up converter.

I am however still very much in doubt if i should go for the prime focus, or just get a 80-90cm offset dish.

Do you have any pictures of your antenna setup ?

Regards

Ronni

I've got offered a 1.5m prime focus dish, no LNB - just the dish.

Been doing some searching, and can see a few people are using prime focus for QO-100, but most are using offset.

If i choose to use a prime focus, what would be the best option, a poty or helix, and what about the LNB ?

I was hoping for that i could use DX Patrol LNB, since i have the dx patrol down converter, and up converter already on hand, but i know there is some differences when it comes to the LNB between an offset and a prime focus dish.

Regards

Ronni

Hi, this Helix seems to have a nice matching network /phasing line. I wanted to try something like that, but didn't have time to do. Do you have the possibility to measure the SWR and resonance? What are the dimensions of this line from N-Connector to backplane?

73 Gerhard

Hi Gerhard.

Sorry, i dont got anything to measure the antenna with at the moment, but the distance from the N connector to the backplate is 43mm.

Regards

Ronni

OZ2RNH

Hello Ronni, Welcome

The helix looks nice but have to be LHCP as feeder at the dish (reversed polarisation). You can try without dish with CW. But later you need a LHCP feeder and dish I think.

Hi.

Thank you for the reply.

I had a feeling that antenna would be a bit undersized for SSB, guess it's time to start looking for something else. :)

Regards

Ronni

OZ2RNH

Hi, new member, and new to the QO-100.

Got a bunch of uplink parts from a fellow ham, but i don't believe any of it has ever been used on QO-100, so i got a few questions.

Between the parts there was a 6 element helix RHCP antenna, homemade - but not sure who made it.

Would something like that be useful for QO-100, or am i better of building a dual feed antenna, poty or something like that ?

My main goal would be SSB and digi modes.

A few pictures of the Helix antenna.

Regards

Ronni

OZ2RNH