here are some sample measurments from my rig:
- Pluto with 30dB attenuation at the front end
- also OCAGON OTLSO Twin LNB (26 MHz GPSDO) (same as DD4YR)
- also 1.8m dish, however, not PF but offset.
I get the following values:
- lower CW beacon -73 dBm (this was adjusted manually by me, because it corresponds to S9 on a traditional S-meter)
- transponder signal -108,7 dBm, so the beacon signal is 35,7 dB above the transponder noise
- noise outside transponder -115,6 dBm, so transponder is 6,9 dB above the general noise leve.
Simons SDR Console somehow calculates an SNR of the lower beacon to be 41,3 dB.
DD4YR: Robert, good idea, but I was not able to measure the ground noise level, because I am glad that my 60kg 1.8m dish is pointed towards the satellite
EA4GQY: in my humble opinion 30 dB SNR is plausibel for a 80cm dish.
Holger 'Geri', DK8KW