Posts by DK8KW

Hi all,

Easy mistake to make I think ;)

plus, I guess, a lot of people don’t even realize how sensitive the QO-100 RX really is. Signals of way less than 1 Watt ERP are still detectable despite the 36.000km uplink distance :) .

Vy 73

Holger ‚Geri‘, DK8KW

Hello Martin,

that is an interesting observation. According to the beacon website https://sk0en.se/ the beacon is not even qrv yet on 2.4 GHz yet. The transmission obviously occurs on 2400,5 MHz. At the moment I can not determine how any of the other listed beacon frequencies could produce such a signal. It is worth to further investigate.

Vy 73

Holger ‚Geri‘, DK8KW

@DL2SBA

Hallo Dietmar,

ich habe das ganz mutig gemacht mit dem Abdecken mit Klebeband und dem Bohren. Nach dem Bohren und dem Schneiden der Gewinde habe ich die Platine noch mit Pressluft aus der Dose ausgepustet. Hat ufb funktioniert, hier sind ein paar Bilder dazu:

Viel Erfolg, vy 73

Holger ‚Geri‘ DK8KW

Hello YLs and OMs,

I am looking for some real life MER figures that can be achieved with a certain dish size.

I found this table here on https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Receiving_Oscar_100_DATV_signals:

This table is valid for the old 2 Ms QO-100 DATV beacon A71A. There are also a few discussions on the net. but those I found all discuss the values for the 2 Ms transmission. Have these values changed after the beacon bandwidth has been reduced to 1.5 Ms?

What are typical MER values you get with your own setup?

I need some guidance to optimize my setup and to know what to aim for.

Thanks and vy 73

Holger ‚Geri‘, DK8KW

Hallo Ulrich,

ich habe meinen Pluto direkt an einer extra-LAN Karte am PC angeschlossen. Seitdem habe ich keine Probleme mehr mit Ausfällen, wenn der PC sich über das andere LAN-Kabel beim Betrieb des Pluto mit SDR-Console gerade etwas herunterlädt.,Das sollte dann also auch mit Deinem portabel-Laptop gehen.

So, wie ich das verstanden habe, braucht man bei neueren LAN-Anschlüssen nicht mal kehr ein Crossover-Kabel, da geht wohl jedes LAN-Kabel.

Vy 73

Holger ‚Geri’, DK8KW

Hallo Uli,

ich habe das Gerät von Elektronikidee. Über einen Splitter von Mini Circuits (75 Ohm, weil der deutlich preiswerter zu haben war als die 50 Ohm-Variante) versorge ich sowohl das LNB als auch den Pluto, letzteren noch über ein 3dB Dämpfungsglied.

Fazit: funktioniert!

Ab und zu verschluckt sich der GPS-synchronisierte Oszillator mal ganz kurz und die Frequenz hüpft ein paar Hertz, fängt sich aber sofort wieder.

Vy 73

Holger, DK8KW

Hallo zusammen,

ich mache gerade meine ersten Gehversuche in DATV und habe dazu eine 100 Watt PA. Der Richtkoppler, den ich im Augenblick zur Leistungsmessung nutze, hat eine geringere Leistungsverträglichkeit.

Ich weiß, daß einige von euch Richtkoppler aus BY zum Testen bestellt hatten und auch gute Berichte darüber hier im Forum veröffentlicht haben.

Hat jemand zufällig noch einen Koppler abzugeben mit, ca. 20dB und 100 Watt Dauerleistung? (ja ... den 8er-Pack von EBay habe ich gerade verpasst ... :( ...).

Danke, vy 73

Holger 'Geri', DK8KW

Hi,

from a veteran EME guy I heard that he was using a video camera fixed to his antenna to adjust his setup to the moon. He wrote that his wife operated the antenna joystick, targeting the moon on a TV screen while he made the QSOs. Of course, that was way before those programs that control the antenna position permanently.

Vy 73

Holger ‚Geri‘, DK8KW

Hallo Uli,

ich habe im Augenblick keinen Link zu den Nebenkeulen -- nur eine anekdotische Quelle dazu. DB0XY im Harz sendet auf 10.368.910 MHz (ca. 50km entfernt) und steht zufällig genau in der Richtung, in der meine 1.8m Offset Antenne für QO-100 hinzeigt. Eigentlich sollte eine so große Antenne ja nichts mehr von dem Bakensignal empfangen, aber ich höre DB0XY zeitweise mit 20dB SNR (das können dann Reflektionen sein), aber nie weniger als etwa 5dB SNR. Daher gehe ich davon aus, daß dieses Empfangssignal einer Empfangs-Nebenkeule auf 10 GHz geschuldet ist.

Ansonsten gibt es hier im Forum eine Diskussion über die Abstrahlverhältnisse von Parabolantennen bei dem unter Anderem Bezug auf das Programm MEMFV Dish von DL9KCE genommen wird:

Annunciation of a stationary amateur radio system with an EIRP > 10 W in Germany (Anzeige ortsfester Amateurfunkanlagen (BEMFV))

Vy 73

Holger 'Geri', DK8KW

Hi all,

Somehow I managed to get the F5OEO firmware (version August 29th, 2020) to work and maintain the frequency extension active.

What I basically did was to makes sure I had the original ADALM PLUTO firmware 0.31 (not 0.32!) on the device and performed the frequency extension.

After that I loaded the pluto.frm from F5OEO into the Pluto folder (Windows 10) and started the uploading process. Firmware is functioning, frequency extension was tested with SATSAGEN.

I have no idea why it didn't do this the last time I tried it, but now it works (well, I understand it's the digital world: either things work -- or thry don't).

Vy 73

Holger 'Geri', DK8KW

Tnx, Mike,

Well, it is a few messages further down that mentioned it. I had loaded the latest F5OEO firmware the other day and SATSAGEN stopped working and didn't allowe me to proceed du to the inability to perform the frequency hack.

This is the message that got me confused:

RE: Adalm Pluto -New official firmware 0.32

saying I have to use the boot frm from 0.31 to still be able to perform the frequency extension hack. Honestly I haven't been able to dig deep enough into the firmware and operating system of the Pluto to be able to perform that stunt so I was hoping for some advice for the layman.

>Advice - use 0.31

Probably that's what I have to do.

Vy 73

Holger 'Geri', DK8KW

Well, G0MJW,

Thanks for the hint, Mike. Been there, done that. Didn't find what I was looking for, therefore hoping to find some assistance here.

Perhaps the wording of my question was not sufficiently clear enough. My understanding is that when I load the latest F6OEO software I get the 0.32 version of the regular Pluto firmware coming along with it. This one suppositly doesn't allow me to expand the frequency.

Is that right? Is there a workaround? Any assistance is appreciated.

Vy 73

Holger 'Geri', DK8KW, W1KW

Hello folks,

I plan to do some tests with DATV, so I want to install the F5OEO firmware onto the Pluto.

My understanding is that with the latest Analog firmware update 0.32 I lose the ability to extend the frequency extension capability that I need, for example, to run SATSAGEN.

Can someone please point me to some further information/instructions on how to keep the frequency extension (70MHz to 6GHz) while installing the (latest?) firmware of F5OEO?

Thanks, vy 73

Holger 'Geri', DK8KW

Guten Morgen, DO8SN,

hier ist eine Übersicht, welche Leistung Du bei unterschiedlichen Antennengrößen benötigst. Die AMSAT-Bake DK0SB in Bochum hat eine EIRP von etwa 900 Watt.

Ich benutze zu Hause einen Offset-Spiegel mit 180cm Durchmesser, da brauche ich dann etwa 1 Watt um ein bakenstarkes Signal zu erzeugen. Portabel nutze ich einen 60cm Cassegrain-Spiegel, da brauche ich dann schon deutlich über 10 Watt. Portabel kein Problem, aber zu Hause habe ich wegen der WLANs der Nachbarn lieber eine kleinere Leistung, die ich in die Antenne schicke. Nebenkeulen hat so eine Schüssel immer ...

Die Vorteile einer Dual-Feed-Antenne, wie sie HB9SKA beschreibt, sind natürlich, daß Du Deine Antenne empfangsmäßig einmal auf den Satelliten ausrichtest und sendemäßig damit genau richtig liegst. Ich selber bin ein Helix-Fan und nutze eine Helix mit 4 1/2 Windungen, die auf das LNB aufgesteckt wird, im Fall meiner Feststationsantenne ein Design nach Sandor, DM4DS, mit Wetterschutz.

Viel Erfolg und vy 73

Holger 'Geri, DK8KW

Hello all,

The problem seems to be solved now.

I had some buffer overflow problems with SDR Console and those hiccups in the software seemed to have led to the fluctuating power. Simon, G4ELI did some modifications to the software and, to support my 10 year old Q8400 CPU handling all the signals in my computer I installed a "vintage" NVIDIA GeForce 8400 graphic card that I had laying around. Since then, the CPU load went down and, at at the same time, the "QSB"-problem was gone.

Vy 73

Holger 'Geri', DK8KW