SAT Controller SDR Nano

• I recorded my own file and transmitted it. The result was such that the audio speed was drastically reduced and there was a broad noise on it. I don't know how to find out the correct properties of the audio file. But then there is a forum for rpitx.

It is a matter of time until i or someone else finds the solution. BTW: The transmitted file is sampleaudio.wav . First, there is a carrier for a few seconds, then sampleaudio.wav is transmitted.

• Hi,

is there any autostart option for GQRX?

I want to use the PI4B just as a spectrum monitor without any user action (OV-Heim).

The beacon stabilisation is not neccessary (GPSDO).

What is the default root password for the image for SSH/SU?

73, Mike

• There is no special autostart function for GQRX added in the image.

Also there is no root password set because it is not needed for normal operation. For SSH you only have to enable SSH under "Preferences/Raspberry Pi Configuration/Interfaces". Password is default (pi/satcontrol). You also can enable VNC in the same way.

• Is it possible to start GQRX automatically without any user intention if there is no keyboard, mouse, touchscreen or touchpad?

Just like the Elecraft PX3 spectrum display.

There are two tasks to manage, at first GQRX has to be started by shell and afterwards the start button/function must be activated.

Any ideas how to do this will be highly appreciated :)

73, Mike

• Hi, there are no parameters possible via command line. You can start GQRX via script, but you can't hand over any commands to GQRX.

If your intention is to have a easy-to-access satellite downlink, you might want to check out DJ0ABR's websdr. It provides a browser accessible gui.

• Hi all,

just to give Frank, DL3DCW some feedback on his work.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THE NICE TOOL!!!

I was totally new to the Raspberry Pi. I ordered a Pi3+B and I was not over stressed with the headless installation of the Pi in my local network.

As well I had no big problems installing the SATCONTROL image provided by the SATCONTROL side.

For unzipping Franks image I used the Raspberry Pi Imager.

With this tool you are able to pick, unziped and copy the file to the SD card by just using one tool. This will than do all the jobs for you.

The SAT RECEIVER program in combination with the SAT CONTROLLER program was a bit challenging to use.

The needed positive feedback, if the SAT CONTROLLER is working or not is a bit tricky in the beginning. I still get nor fcorrection of the tool showing on the display. But it seems to work.

I still do not found my own procedure to get the beacon correction working straight away every time I start the program new.

I needed some more feedback. That for I used the NB WebSDR to compare frequencies.

The planned usage for my setup is to have a low power consuming tool for field operation to setup the RX of the dish to its maximum.

As well to monitor the band while using an analogue field setup.

Setup:

Pi3+B

Resued 10“ laptop screen with external controller board

Reused Logitech BT keyboard 7“ (ipad mini)

Reused BT mouse

Power supply: 12V for screen and DC/DC dwn convtr 12 - 5V for the Pi3

Headphones with the Pi3 (is a bit weak)

So let us hear what your experiences are with Franks program and how you are able use it.

Especially your feedback on your usage of the beacon correction tool is of interest.

so, 73 from JO50PX de DM5TU - sTef

72 de sTef

… -.-

DM5TU / VY1QRP - DL-QRP-AG *GM* - GQRP #8769 - CalQRP #034 - NAP #1607

• Hi Stefan,

thanks for response. Some things should be noted before operation:

1. Lock to master signal

First, the system must be set to a reference signal (menu item "Lock" ). This is used to calculate the actual LO frequency and as master signal for the software drift correction. Default setting is the engineering beacon of Es'hail-2 (menu item "Master"). With the preset RF frequency you have to adjust the peak in the audio spectrum to 1.5 kHz.

This process must be repeated occasionally if the LO frequency has drifted too far away. If you have problems, you should experiment with the parameters and possibly restart the program (unfortunately this function is not perfect at the moment).

2. Adjust beacon frequency

Fast fine adjustment is possible with a beacon signal in NB passband (button "Adjust"). Default setting is the middle beacon of QO-100 transponder (menu item "Beacon"). With the preset RF frequency you have to adjust the center of the signal in the audio spectrum to 1.5 kHz.

This procedure should be performed before each operation (after a short warm-up phase). Because the SDR software sometimes shows errors of some 100Hz. This often happens when you restart GQRX, change frequency ranges or if you tune via the big frequency indication digits. For tuning it will be better to use the mouse wheel and/or place mouse pointer to desired frequency in the waterfall. The fine adjustment should be checked regularly. In the future hopefully this step can be omitted.

At which step do you have problems?

Frank, DL3DCW

• Hi Frank,

thanks for your reply and time.

This text is basically the same as posted on the very first page of this thread.

I read it several times and still found it unclear to me, sorry.

>

1. Lock to master signal

First, the system must be set to a reference signal (menu item "Lock" ). This is used to calculate the actual LO frequency and as master signal for the software drift correction. Default setting is the engineering beacon of Es'hail-2 (menu item "Master"). With the preset RF frequency you have to adjust the peak in the audio spectrum to 1.5 kHz.

<

The menu itself is hardly found by a beginner. So here we should start:

The "menu" is hidden in the SAT Controller app.

Mouse hoover over the button "Drift correction".

Then right mouse click over button "Drift correction" and keep it pressed.

Than the "menu" pops up.

Q1: The first step is to adjust to a "master signal", right? Which signal on which QRG could that be?

Q2: Which beacon do you mean by "engineering beacon of Es'hail-2" ? 10.489.500 / 10.489.750 or 10.489.900 ?

Q3: After I choose a "master signal" and corrected it to the audio spectrum to 1.5KHz, than I press "Lock", right?

The next steps I will try after we proceeded with the ones above.

Thanks for your feedback and your time. Sorry for my "look from the outside" questions, Frank!

so, 73 from JO50PX de DM5TU - sTef

72 de sTef

… -.-

DM5TU / VY1QRP - DL-QRP-AG *GM* - GQRP #8769 - CalQRP #034 - NAP #1607

• For the the menu you only have to press the "Set" button. Then all menu items will be show. This is new in the last versions so you don't need to click right mouse button)

A1: To adjust master signal press "Lock". Then GQRX automatically tunes to 10.706,000 MHz (-1,5 kHz).

A2: The engineering beacon is on 10.706,000 MHz (default setting, see screenshot in my last posting).
    A3: After adjusting audio signal of the beacon to 1,5 kHz press "OK" (also see the same screenshot).

Simple procedure:

1. Press "Set"

2. Press "Lock"

3. Adjust engineering beacon signal with mouse wheel to 1,5 kHz in audio spectrum

4. Press "OK"

5. Switch on "Drift correction"

Then in the ERR field you see the actual drift. After "Lock" procedure it starts at 0 Hz. Thats all.

NOTE: You need 2 SDR-Sticks. One for GQRX and one for the master signal (drift correction).

• DL3DCW

Hi Frank

finally got an Pi4 8gb.
    Please see what the bootloader shows on startup.
    I used the two latetst images from your website.

http://www.satcontrol.de/images/

Image No. 6

Image No. 5

Is there any support from your side?
    Maybe just a new compilation needed with your source code?

Thanks for your feedbaCK.

• Hi,

maybe it will run if you just extract the missing and incompatible files from a new image , then copy them to your /boot folder.

I just learned that there is a new firmware available allowing the pi4 to boot from usb. Maybe your pi4 has a new firmware and wants to boot from usb, but DL3DCW's image isn't ready for that. See https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/boot-raspberry-pi-4-usb

Chapter8 mentions to copy .dat and .elf files to the boot media.

• GM Franck and the group

i wanted download img without success..i have fiber here ..can you check your host ? and second question why dont put yhe img on github, its more easy to use wget....

thank for infos

73 Eric

Edited once, last by F1SMV: ps : its ok i use with an other pc on my lan..nice Pic in desktop..stay to find for setup for the key in gqrx :) ().