SAT Controller SDR Nano

• Hi there,

i tried to inflate satcontrol.img.zip with 2 different programs with GUI on a linux computer, both failed. Inflating on the commandline resulted in a file >5Gb. I copied it to the card anyway using dd , but it wouldn't boot. Downloaded it to my laptop and tried there successfully. It also resulted in a file >5Gb, but dd copied it and it would boot. Something is wrong with the file, i should say.

Anyway, good job! Been trying to run my own installation on a 3b+ over the last few days and failed (audio device underruns) or had a huge cpu-load >78%. So your optimizations, if any , do the trick. Load only abt. 40%. Keep on!

Martin

• I focus on the Raspberry Pi because I use it myself and there are currently no easy-to-use solutions. For me it's great that this little system runs completely independently of my main computer and controls my entire QO-100 station. That's my main motivation.

In addition, the memory card images and the same hardware make it easy for me and the users to get a running system without major problems. If someone wants to adopt the approach to other systems, you are welcome to do this. I have not planned this. Because I'am very happy with my Raspberry.

Note: All you need (source code etc.) you can find on raspberry pi image. But do not expect too much. I'm a bad programmer. Most important for me is that it works ;)

• Understood.

Will use the raspberry image for portable operation from my vacation qth, and , most important, for a presentation at DL0WH to show how easy it is to get qrv. We have a bunch of raspberry enthusiasts there, but they somehow lost connection to "radio" in "amateur radio". Just now and for preparing the presentation, i receive the sat on your raspberry image with a 60cm dish behind a closed balcony door and with a tree in the path. Amazing

But also will try to get it up and running on a desktop pc. Will report here. I'm an even worse programmer ;)

• Today i set up my test environment for a first try of my raspberry pi.

Download the image file and programmed the content to a micro sd card.

Plug the micro sd card into the raspberry slot.

Connected the HDMI output via a VGA converter to a older 4x3 monitor.

Connected a mouse to one USB port. Connected a SDR stick to another USB port.

Connected a short whip antenna to the SDR stick. Ready is the test environment.

Switch monitor and power supply for the raspberry on.

After a short time the raspberry has booted. With the mouse I open the following picture.

Start SDR Receiver and SAT Controller, following picture opens.

All is working from the beginning. Next step will be to connect a further SDR stick and the sat signal.

• Hello, is their a link for the Image? Maybe i overlooked it ? Is the Raspi SW able to correct the drift?

My Raspi QO100 Receiver with same design as the Transmitter is now ready besides the SW Image. Maybe someone can point me to a link.

Pic. 1: new QO100 Raspi SDR Receiver

Pic 2: the Transmit Box LZ5HP with 25W PA same design as SDR Raspi Receiver

Now with the Raspi Image my small Groundstation is ready 😁

73 de Kai

• Hello Kai,

can you tell me, where I can get this nice housing ?

73, Martin

Hello, its from ebay:

Halbschalen-Kunststoffgehäuse EURO-BOX, 205x180x70mm, schwarz

Halbschalen-Kunststoffgehäuse (205x180x70 mm) mit schraubenlosem Schnappverschluss und austauschbaren Frontplatten.

Art. Nr at ebay : 322497818759

73 de Kai / DH0SK

• I am preparing updated version with some bug fixes, improvements and Fldigi preinstalled/preconfigured (for digimodes via QO-100) ...

I am preparing updated version with some bug fixes, improvements and Fldigi preinstalled/preconfigured (for via QO-100) ...

Hello Frank,

first of all thanks for the nice image. That fits 100% with my portable ideas. Since i got the second RTL stick I start to do my tests with two RTL sticks placed in a small box depicted below.

But i was not able to run the drift control. After clicking the lock menue the colour is still red and there is no value for frequency drift visible. I repeat the calibration procedure several times with no success. Where can i check if the second stick is working well with no connection error.

Could it be that i have an old image (can't find Fldigi at the current Image).

Maybe i did something wrong in generell.

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Kai

I am preparing updated version with some bug fixes, improvements and Fldigi preinstalled/preconfigured (for digimodes via QO-100) ...

• Where can i check if the second stick is working well with no connection error.

Start Gqrx alone (without SAT Controller software) and test both SDR-Sticks (rtl=0 and rtl=1).

Could it be that i have an old image

Current version is satcontrol_01.img.zip.

can't find Fldigi at the current Image

Although I had planned a newer version (and also hardware), the demand seems to be very low. In addition, I have received almost no feedback on the existing version.

Because my own raspberry setup is running very well I think I will spend my time to other projects :)