ADALM - PLUTO

• Hello all om.

i am new to the site so i do apologise if i have put this in the wrong section..!

i have just purchased a pluto. i am using SDR console v 3.0.22 i have rx QO-100 but i cannot seem to get microphone audio to work..

also i buy the pluto with no information do i need to supply vdc into the second socket on the pluto to enable transmitter..??

any valueable information is appreciated indeed

regards sean 2e0saf

• Hi, yes the forum section is not the right one but Peter will take care of moving the thread to the right section. :)

For SDR-Console I recommend you follow these instructions.

https://www.sdr-radio.com/Pluto-transmit

To power the Pluto it could work with USB only or you will have to power on the second port. It depends on your PC, you have to try.

Finally for everything about Pluto this is the reference site.

https://wiki.analog.com/university/tools/pluto/users

• 2e0saf Sean, if you use your pluto with usb cable from your computer, you should NOT connect an additional power source on the second second port. only if you are using a usb to ethernet adapter then you must power the pluto over the second port or using a Y-cable on the first port. If the Pluto is connected with two power sources on both ports in parallel, you can damage the Pluto.

• hello guys

Firstly sorry for posting in the wrong place.

And I thankyou for the help I shall read the information in the link

Regards sean.

P.s. im trying to find a supplier of the txco break out pcb then I can modify the pluto.

• If the Pluto is connected with two power sources on both ports in parallel, you can damage the Pluto.

Hi folks,

My Pluto is connected with the USB-cable to the computer and, with the second cable, to an external 5V power supply. When I connect or disconnect the external power, the Pluto resets and restarts -- obviously now switching to the power from the computer's USB port. This function seems to prevent that two power sources are used in parallel.

I prefer to run the Pluto on external power, because the device permanently draws around 400mA, which might be a little bit high for a regular USB-port, especially if the computer also powers other external devices.

Best 73 and stay healthy!

Holger 'Geri', DK8KW

• has anyone had good success with this board / pcb

Hello Sean,

I purchased an already modified Pluto from Joerg, with the TCXO built in. It works very well. In the meantime I modified the device so that I also can feed in an external GPS disciplined 26MHz signal. This modification was easy, because Joerg already did the difficult part of the modification: removing the Pluto's internal oscillator.

Best 73

Holger, 'Geri', DK8KW

• DK8KW Geri there is no switch between the two usb plugs inside the Pluto. They do not implement that for cost reasons. so take care. I highly recommend using only ONE supply for the Pluto.

• From the official Adalm-Pluto website (wiki.analog.com) regarding the power supply of the device.
    External Power.

• It was a possibility during the design of Pluto that the design could have consumed more than 5 unit loads for USB 2 (500mA), and a “backup” power connector was added to mitigate this. This should not be necessary for nominal use, (we haven't needed it yet) but if you find the device is power cycling, or your host reports problem (Please let us know, we have not seen this):
    • an external adapter (like this one from Adafruit).
    • We know the “Power” icon is the “on/off” icon, if you think that is confusing - please let us know.

P.S.

Adalm-Pluto is USB-2 but I connect it to the USB-3 socket and I have never had problems and no need to apply external power.

• Adalm-Pluto is USB-2 but I connect it to the USB-3 socket and I have never had problems and no need to apply external power.

Thanks for the information, Lucio.

I have now connected the Pluto to a USB 3.0 card, that is supplied by a separate cable directly from the computer internal power supply. So far everything works fine :).

Best 73

Holger 'Geri', DK8KW