Es'hail-2 beacon frequency (non-amateur)

• Just checked the 11205 (1455) MHz signal and it comes nicely here too.. same strength in H and V polarization. The 10706 (956) MHz signal is also fine in both H/V, however today it seems a little bit weaker in Horizontal, but the noise is higher for some reason...

Anyway.. more work to do until next year :)

Very cool research from Daniel Estévez: https://destevez.net/2018/12/studying-eshail-2-doppler/

Peter Gülzow | DB2OS | AMSAT-DL member since 1983 | JO42VG

• Well my dish is movable from 58w to 53e so no problem at all to receive where it happens to be stationed :-)

Same idea over here when I installed the dish in the summer... and it turned out to be a good idea to be able to check what's going on at 24°E before going to 26°E :)

..and who knows what will come after XMAS.. perhaps an Es'hail-3 ? :/;)

Peter Gülzow | DB2OS | AMSAT-DL member since 1983 | JO42VG

• Same idea over here when I installed the dish in the summer... and it turned out to be a good idea to be able to check what's going on at 24°E before going to 26°E :)

..and who knows what will come after XMAS.. perhaps an Es'hail-3 ? :/;)

I have had this setup for over 20 years. Long ago I could receive a lot of programmes and feeds even on 58w there was a beam towards europe, on 43w there were a lot of transatlantic feeds, also on 22w and 15w. There even has been an ATV transmission on 16e (PI6ALK) and of course random interesting things like Dr Dish, daily live relays of the late show wth David Letterman, etc.

Most of it is gone, but I still use my dish a lot e.g. to receive BBC/ITV on 28.2e, German programmes at 19.2e etc. And now to receive Es'hail-2 :-)

• Looks like I can now copy both beacons both about 16-17db above the noise floor - The pointing angle of a 1.1M dish is very sharp at 1.8 degrees. Thankfully it's locate 28.8E and move south until the satellite meter drops to 0, and then nudge it further towards the south a tiny amount!

This week I hope to modify the gnuradio carrier measurement code I have, and hope to run a long term (24H+) measurement of the carrier frequency. This should (If my system is good enough) echo Daniel's doppler measurements

[Biggest issue I have is the LNB stability, and the fact my SBX appears to be ~900k off frequency, unless it's the LNB that's off that far, or a combination!]

• Today I succesfully received two beacons from Es'hail-2. Using Astra-2C @10951.5 MHz as 'starting reference' it's already possible to see/hear the beacons indoors with a 70cm offset dish through double paned windows.

To verify I was not listening to birdies I checked other beacons from other satellites. The Es'hail-2 beacons are relatively strong and 11205 is somewhat stronger here than 10706 MHz.

• I found the source of those "line" signals on 956MHz.

There is a GSM station not far away and those signals are from this station.

This GSM band goes fm abt 920 to 960MHz, so no wonder...

They are so strong that they manage to get in the coax cable without any antenna connected ;(

Thank god on the NB downlink freqs (739-740MHz) are no interfering signals here.

Also switching the LO could help too. Currently 9,75GHz.

vy73 DB8TF

• Hi Guys , here is Darko OE7DBH from cold Tirol, today....

I'm not running the beacon. I have parked my both antenna at 26 ° and wait until the right HamRadio beacon come...

Currently received spectrum looks like this.....

I use Octagon LNB with LOfrequency at 10.057291 GHz.

Later, i want to receive signals with FT790R.

LNB IF according to that looks currently still so clean.

Good DX wishes you OE7DBH

.....translated with Google !

• Yes, you can be fooled easily. What I always do to confirm the identity is turn the dish and look for another satellite beacon in the same frequency range.

In this experiment: 11200.6H 21.6E, 11200.8H 16E and 11200.0H 7E.
    While you turn you see the beacons appear en disappear perfectly.

When I made SNG (Satellite News Gathering) uplinks ca. 20 years ago, this was
    a perfect procedure to double check you had the right satellite.

• Is the sat spinning in the moment?

The beacon signal level is periodically (ca 30sek) getting weaker and stronger again.

vy73 DB8TF

18:56 everything normal again...