Uplink permission on 2,4GHz in different countries

• Hello fellow OMs!

I heard that in some countries the 2,4GHz uplink is forbidden or only with low power allowed.

As fas as i heard in turkey and switzerland is no uplink (without special permit) allowed.

Remco told me that in sweden only 100mW are allowed (what certainly is enough with a bigger dish).

Here in DL the max power allowed is 75W for class A and 5W for class E.

Maybe some OMs have more details about the regulations on 2,4GHz in other countries?

VY73 DB8TF

• Only class A HAMs (HAREC license) (I am class B, so no permission) have permissions to transmit with power less that 50W feeded into antenna while not making any interference (WiFi etc???).

http://lral.lv/files/MKnot_radioamatieri.pdf on pages 17-18. fro class A.

PS: To get class A, class B need to collect 1000 QSOs (recommended format .ADIF) to get to class A licence. I have ~600 of 1000, so soon, really soon be on QO-100.

Class B permission on page 19. :(

• PS: To get class A, class B need to collect 1000 QSOs (recommended format .ADIF) to get to class A licence.

Well, here in PA (Netherlands) a Novice license is not allowed to transmit on 13cm either, but at least you can get a full license by passing an exam, no QSOs required (and it is even not required to get a Novice license first, I never had one and immediately passed the exam for full license).

However, we are only allowed to transmit in the 2400-2450 band when it is to a satellite. It is of couse advisable to make a directed beam as much as possible to avoid interference with WiFi.

I am using a lot of WiFi/Router equipment from Latvia :)

• Sweden
    2.4GHz Highest power to the antenna system: 100mW PEP

2.3GHz 1kW time limited permit

From tests on QO-100 in JO99

With 0.1W and 75cm dish (10W ERP), it is not feasible to see or hear your own signal in BATC/AMSAT-UK 10 GHz Narrowband WebSDR

With 0.1W and much bigger dish providing ~120W ERP it is possible to make weak lines in the waterfall on the BATC/AMSAT-UK 10 GHz Narrowband WebSDR and also make CW and digital QSO

Maybe with an 13cm RX EME capable station SSB also feasible with such small ERP station

• I heard an EA/F1... on QO-100 and there was a discussion that this is not legal.

The CEPT information provided by our club DARC

CEPT 2016 list is not correct and/or up to date.

TA information does not contain an allocation for 13cm!

SM: power out information is probably not correct.

It would be great to have an up-to-date list available.

• Mike, look at a thread on this labyrinth .. eh forum from (I believe) February , there was an inventarisation.

Notice that the amateur service and the amateur satellite service are two seperate services (see ITU-RR art. 1.56 and art. 1.57). So it is administratively not incorrect to treat the two services differently. Iirc most countries allocate(d) 2320 - 2400 to the amateur service (art 1.56) and 2400 - 2450 to the amateur satellite service (art 1.57).

E.g. here in The Netherlands Full licensees may use 2400 - 2450 MHz, but only for the amateur satellite service (i.e. pointing your dish to the sky) and not for amateur service usage ('terrestrial', i.e. pointing your dish to the horizon).

• I understand totally (and agree ;)). Can we put a table somewhere here? Then we can do entries then and fill it with content.

Frequencies in GHz

Country 1.26-1.3 2.4-2.45 5.65-5.67 5.83-5.85 10.4-10.45
    Germany 75W up/downlink only ?
    75W
    75W uplink
    donwlink 75W
    Netherlands

...something like that...

etc.

• Official Post

@all I want to create a table for those of us who are planning to be qrv on QO100 from there holidays. Please write here in which country you can be qrv whithout additional permision on QO100 using the CEPT Licence during holiday.

all answers are welcome here..:thumbup:;)

Holyday in Switzerland:

Look first here

:thumbup:

• In Italy amateur radio stations can operate 13 centimeters (2300-2450 MHz) with the following maximum powers, defined as peak power (p.e.p), average power supplied to the antenna power line during a radiofrequency cycle, in correspondence of the maximum amplitude of the modulation envelope:

Class A, fixed or mobile / portable 500 W (All Italian amateur radio stations)

Class B, fixed or mobile / portable 50 W

• In Finland;

2400-2450 MHz

(50 MHz) Amateur radio satellite traffic

Transmitter power in the basic class up to 30 W. Peak modulation power 120 W if the transmit carrier is attenuated by at least 6 dB.

Transmitter power in the general class up to 150 W. Peak modulation power 600 W if the transmission carrier is attenuated by at least 6 dB.

• Yesterday the special permit in Spain has expired.

The good news is that there is a new special permit for using QO-100 uplink frequencies with effect of yesterday 26th of September 2019 and valid for one year. You can find here the new permit.

The permit is worded to be valid for all "holders of valid amateur radio licenses".

While not being an advocate in my personal view this wording could be interpreted that it is also valid for all foreign hams operating under CEPT license in Spain.

The general rules were modified slightlty:

• no mode restriction anymore to phone mode as in previous permit (this means now all modes including DATV should be legal)
    • restriction is still limiting to a maximum of 1500W ERP
    • NEW: the station must use an antenna with not less than 22.5dBi Gain

I guess the last point is to avoid local interferences of other services, by use of a highly directive antenna.

(I guess for circular polarisation you can remove 3dB from that value, hi hi ;))

Permit is on a non-interference basis and in case of interference to other radio services all transmissions need to be stopped with immediate effect.

73 de Oscar DJ0MY

• Official Post

QO-100 in Switzerland

For the sake of completeness... sorry in Swiss-German ;)

HB9 - BAKOM Sonderbewilligung für Es’hail-2 / QO-100

Seit dem 15.Nov 2018 ist der erste geostationäre Amateurfunk-Satellit Es’hail-2 in der Umlaufbahn und dürfte schon bald für die ersten Verbindungen der Funkamateure zur Verfügung stehen.

Für Verbindungen mit Es’hail-2 brauchet es nicht nur eine spezielle Technik, sondern auch eine Sonderbewilligung vom BAKOM. Da doch eine gewisse Gefahr besteht, dass andere Dienste in diesem lizenzfreien 2.4 GHz ISM Band (Industrial, Scientific and Medical Band) gestört werden könnten, will das BAKOM die Standorte dieser Satelliten-Stationen kennen.

Ein Antrag kann an das BAKOM an folgende Mail-Adresse gestellt werden. kf-fk@bakom.admin.ch

Das Gesuch zur Nutzung des Frequenzbereichs 2400 – 2410MHz als Satelliten Uplink muss folgende Informationen enthalten:

• Rufzeichen und Konzessionsnummer

• Standort (Ortsbezeichnung, Adresse)

• Schweizer-Koordinaten (z.B. 2'600’000/1'200'000, neue Koordinaten) Keine Google-Koordinaten!! (Umrechnung im Internet möglich)

Antennengewinn (dBi)

• Antennenhöhe über Grund (m)

• Richtung der Antenne (°)

• Elevation der Antenne (°)

• E-Mail Adresse

• Telefonnummer unter welcher der Operateur während dem Betreib der Anlage erreichbar ist

Die Sonderbewilligung ist kostenlos und wird unbürokratisch und zügig bearbeitet.

Jedoch sollte man sich bewusst sein, dass sie auf Zusehen hin vergeben wird, und jederzeit wieder zurückgezogen werden kann, falls sich Schwierigkeiten ergeben sollten. Es ist also ratsam, die Anlage so zu planen und zu betreiben, dass mögliche benachbarte Funkdienste in diesem ISM-Band nicht gestört werden.

Die Sonderbewilligung berechtig zu einer Sendeanlage mit einer Leistung von maximal 100 W PEP. Dies sollte für alle möglichen Betriebsarten über Es’hail-2 reichlich genügen.

Wir wünschen euch viel Erfolg mit diesem neuartigen Satelliten.

Bernard Wehrli, HB9ALH

Vorstand, Ressort BAKOM und Antennen

2019-09-10-ALH