Octagon SF-8008 with low SR

• I found that the Octagon model Sf-8008 could be used for low symbolrates.. I want to share the first results with you I got yesterday from Helmut DG3KHS.. He wrote me the following:

The SF8008 Single has the Si2166D Tuner and with the actual firmware it is possible to receive low SR down to 250Kb.

You can receive DVB-S, S2 H264 und H265 signals.

To select the QRG the smallest step is 1MHz there it could be possible when there are more stations using e.g. 333Kb that the tuner will look to the strongest one. With a special receiving list you could avoid this. Helmut is using the SF-808 since one month and is satisfied on it. But also told me that the Minitioner is the better choice. Hope that helps those of you who are planning this as a solution for the living room. I expect more improvements in the near future..:)

• Official Post

I found that the Octagon model Sf-8008 could be used for low symbolrates.. [...]

To select the QRG the smallest step is 1MHz there it could be possible when there are more stations using e.g. 333Kb that the tuner will look to the strongest one.

Since they adapted the software already for lower symbol rates, maybe they can also change the frequency input to allow at least 100 kHz digit..

Otherwise very cool... Stefan DG8FAC tested it with the AMSAT-DL Downconverter and it seems to work fine..

also found some additional info here:

http://dd1ku.de/OCTAGON_8008.pdf

• I have the SF8008 also running with the Amsat Downconverter.

Everything works fine when I select the channels manually.

In the link to dd1ku is a reference to a channel-list: QO-100.tar

This file is maybe old ? It does not work in my SF8008 because the channels are set to wrong frequencies and also to DVB-S instead of DVB-S2, DVB-S2 needs additional parameters which are not in this list.

Is there an update to this list available ?

• Hi,

I tried to stream the live image of the Octagon receiver to my PC via VLC media player, but I don't know how to do that. Did anyone figure out how to do something like that?

73 Robert

• Hallo Heiner, sounds easy.

Is it necessary to run the Minitioune Software to transport the stream from the Octagon SF8080 to the VLC?

finaly I will stream the video of the Octagon in an vMix input ... maybe without the Minitioune Software.

73s Robert

• In the link to dd1ku is a reference to a channel-list: QO-100.tar

This file is maybe old ? It does not work in my SF8008 because the channels are set to wrong frequencies and also to DVB-S instead of DVB-S2, DVB-S2 needs additional parameters which are not in this list.

Is there an update to this list available ?

I'm afraid you can not create a general receive list.
    My experiments have shown that the receiver always evaluates the service name in the SI tables. Only when it matches can a stored station be recalled repeatedly ...

any other experiences?

73 de Robert

• DD4YR Robert, streaming from SF8008 works well. Connect your Octagon to the LAN, go in to MAIN MENU, then select INFORMATION, and finally NETWORK. Write down its IP address.

Now there are two ways to start watching SF8008 stream:

1. - using web browser open/call that IP address and select LAST SCANNED, click on desired station, 3 icons will pop-up in front of the call sing. Chose 2nd (middle) icon (TV monitor) and save it on to PCs HD. File name will be something like "SV8RV.m3u8". Now open it, VLC will start playing automatically.

2. - or copy streaming address directly in to VLC.,

• I'm afraid you can not create a general receive list.
    My experiments have shown that the receiver always evaluates the service name in the SI tables. Only when it matches can a stored station be recalled repeatedly ...

any other experiences?

73 de Robert

I am not so sure - It would be good to have a channel list to import. I have come back to find new testcards on my screen without my tuning them, same modulation and PIDs.

I am quite impressed by this little RX for under £100. It may be hackable, I am using the standard firmware supplied, OPEN ATV 6.2. So far I have received signals at 250k, 333k, 1Ms and 2Ms and I haven't even taken the lid off.

One of these streaming to the web tuned to one of the RB channels might be useful reverse beacon. E.g. The upper channel and RXs set to 333K or 250K. Perhaps with some software the webserver could detect the rate and push the appropriate virtual button via the network interface.

My main problem is going to be the YAM requirement, (Yet Another Monitor). I will be looking for a small, inexpensive HD monitor.

Mike

• I found A71A TV channel with LNB GM-201 modifiyed to 24MHz so the

LNB LO is 9360MHz. (corrected )

I need help with SF8008.

I got SF8008 and I have small TV with HDMI input which FW and how I need to do to watch lower SR with modified LNB?

• Hi,Question....

Depend the rx of low sr on the SW(image) or HW (Tunertype) in the box?

Witch image do you use in the box? (the are all "normal" enigma2 boxes )

The base of 99% of these boxes is OpenPli

Yes i have a lnb with LO 9150Mhz..hihi

I using on my satrx now HDFreaks img.

Greeting

ON7KEC

• It does 150k alright with the normal firmware. You can set 125 but its not locking. Problem is the 1 MHz resolution. Hopefully someone can fix that. Great RX.

Ich OE7DBH habe damals am 27.03.2019 über skype Octagon boss direkt gebeten um paar Software Verbesserungen bei SF8008

SF8008 DVB-T Teil ----> BW auch 250KHz 500KHz und 1MHz Bandbreite zufügen wenn möglich , in QPSK und 16QAM ; wenn nicht bereits freigegeben bitte freigeben auch 420....474MHz frequenzbereich ; Empfangsfrequenz Eingabe auf dezimal stellen erweitern zb. 474,450MHz

SF8008 DVB-S teil ----> BW auch 125Ksym 250Ksym 333Ksym 500Ksym zufügen wenn nicht bereits vorhanden ; beim Einstellungen freie LNB LO Eingabe in 1Mhz schritten und als solcher von Anwender speicherbar ; Frequenz direkt Eingabe mit zwei dezimalstellen zb. 10750,21 MHz ( eben um leichter zu einlocken )

....und 30.03.2019 Antwort bekommen:
    hallo Darko, danke. ja habe ingenure bereits gesagt das sie wegen kommastellen es machen sollen

....und am 13.04.2019 wieder:
    hallo Darko, dvbs kommastelle ist noch nicht fertig

....29.04.2019 wieder:
    kommastelle machen wir noch, dauert leider (

.....04.05.2019 wieder:
    kommstelle kommt, dauert halt noch

....01.06.2019 skype Antwort wieder:
    noch nicht, wird aber gemacht

Leider sind fast 6 Monate vergangen und immer noch keine Softwareänderung !! , ich glaube langsam "da wird nichts" ....schade eigentlich es hätte ein perfekter Empfänger für uns Funkamateure werden können.